Another Newb with scanner questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skanz

Hi-

I've been lurking for awhile, reading the forum and various information provided here. And I thought I was confused before I found a forum to explain it all- I have a whole different idea of what REAL confusion is now!

This is going to be another "what do I need thread" and "should I even bother"?
I scanned back in early or mid 80s when it was as easy as looking in the book, and typing in the frequencies you want to listen to. I'll try to cover what most of my questions are here, now. I'm sure I will forget some, and find even more after reading all your responses.

I'm in CT. New Haven and suburbs. I figured I would need an SDS and if I got one, probably the 200. ( pre- programmed) I have read ALL the posts on what is best, and worst, and in between. ( Best is a very subjective term it seems when it comes to this, and what is best foe one person in one area, can suck for another who is somewhere else) Probably don't want a pager.
I was into a lot of Hobbies that all had their "fanboys" on what was "best" etc. I am not married to any brand, and only settled on the Unidens because of the simulcast- whether I need it or not here, as I am one that if I have to spend a lot of money on something, a couple hundred more won't kill me and may help down the road, if not now. With all that aside....

I mostly ONLY want to listen to the following. All very nearby to me.
Hamden Police and Fire, as well as any Detective frequencies in Hamden that are available.
New Haven Police, Fire (and Detectives if available)
CSP Troop I, and detectives if available.
AMR ambulance- New Haven area

I dont know what "talk groups" are, so maybe some of them. If anyone has other interesting suggestions to listen to in New Haven area, I'd like to hear. We have Tweed New Haven airport, but don't know what of interest I would hear. Schools? Is PW worth listening to?

Id also kind of like to have favorites set up so I can just simply listen to Hamden PD and New haven PD, and another favorites maybe for New Haven PD and Fire. I suppose I could just lock out everything but them if I wanted?

I have a Mac, and no interest in learning sentinel. Have disabilities that make those learning curves just too much to retain.

So Im not sure If I should go the money to listen to basically two depts or not.

I also would like to know if this 'Hum" in the "unfinished project" of the SDS scanners ever was fixed.

One thing I learned is that when you're the only game in town, ( SDS scanners with the simulcast) there just isn't much reason to fix anything. It's a shame the Country came to that, but that's just a fact. Its seems that the SDS series were a great idea that stalled cause no one else jumped on board with good competition ( scanner wise- I understand the pagers work)

If I went on too long, sorry in advance, But you guys may help me decide whether or not to even bother anymore. There is no where else to get honest answers. Play nice everybody! I read Trentbobs posts about all the people who left this forum, and how he thought of going too, but you people need to stay here for us guys who don't know dick! You have no clue how many lurk and don't talk on forums, and gain knowledge from you guys.

Who likes what is personal preference. I will say again that that company being the only game in town, and how that made things play out would steer me away from that company just on general principle if there were equal options in scanners elsewhere, and the fact that they know this and play on it sucks. Maybe someday when I know more about what I'm talking about, I'll start a thread on the scourge called Uniden- seems like a whole other story from what I've read here.! If I said anything out of line.... that's jus me!

What say you all? Any info/guidance is appreciated, and welcome.
Play nice, everybody! ;)

marksmith

The Uniden SDS radios are superior to all others when it comes to simulcast distortion, a condition that is very common in modern digital trunked systems. They also have very few drawbacks, the biggest being so so sensitivity in the vhf bands, where fewer public service activity is taking place.

I would strongly recommend that you don't bother with pre-programming or spending any money on it.

The radios use free software designed specifically for the SDS100 and SDS 200. It's called Sentinel and its free to download from Uniden and install in your PC without buying a radio just to check it out. This software allows you to download the entire nation of radio systems in a database and its updated weekly to update changes to systems, new systems, etc. This database consists of everything you will find in the database section here at radioreference.com.

The software is designed to allow you to easily select stuff included in this database and program into your SDS radio specifically for what you want to listen to, and to update with any changes. The software also downloads and installs any new radio firmware updates which improve the operation of your radio.

Since you need to use this software to update firmware, and you can also keep your radio programming updated for changes, paying for pre-programmed radio is a waste of money, since the data can become outdated.

marksmith

I recognize you don't want to learn Sentinel, but it's the only way to update the radio firmware. Also, no matter what scanner tou look at, every one of them require you to program it with a Windows PC. None are compatible with a Mac.

Programming these newer radios by hand can be done but that is a hell of a lot more complicated and error prone than using a PC.

Skanz

So besides not wanting to learn sentinel to listen to two towns, and the fact that said I had a MAC, thanks for the info on everything else..

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Imho the Unication G5 Pager is the best receiver available for simulcast systems. I’ve had one for years. Just realize that all of these radios have a “learning curve” to them.

I purchased an SDS 100 a few months back. Still learning things about this radio - and there’s lots to learn.

Theres lots of great folks on here who will help you out. Be patient! As a wise person on here told me, “slow your roll!!” It all takes time!

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I do not know this answer so this is a question.
But does it allow the MAC to run Windows at 100% including hardware like USB cables?
Yes and yes on Mac stuff. Some folks on here do this and have no issues. But from what I’ve read (and done) it might be easier and less expensive in the long run to use a Windows based PC - even an older one for things like programming radios etc etc.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So besides not wanting to learn sentinel to listen to two towns, and the fact that said I had a MAC, thanks for the info on everything else..
We get that you don't want to learn Sentinel (and I would assume that applies to other programming software as well).... that alone will be a big limiting factor as to the usability and enjoyment you will get for your money spent on an SDS scanner. Sentinel really isn't that big of a learning curve compared to some other software.

First off, check here for info on using Sentinel with a MAC:

Also, if you spend the (way overpriced) money to have your scanner pre-programmed from a dealer, it's uncertain how long that programming will be viable considering how rapidly radio systems evolve and change these days... especially in larger metropolitan areas. When changes happen, you will need to pay to have re-programming done by the dealer, or do it yourself.

Database updates from Uniden are available every Monday that might contain the newly changed programming data, but getting those updates and getting them into your scanner is done through Sentinel. Without Sentinel, you can search for new changes in programming data in the Radio Reference database, and learn how to add it manually through the scanner's menu system with favorites lists. Most folks will advise you that learning how to manually program your scanner through the on-screen menu system is far more of a learning curve than learning Sentinel (especially when it comes to trunking systems and talkgroups). Also, anything you may want to add later to your scanning choices that wasn't programmed by the dealer will have to be added by you manually.

If and when Uniden offers any firmware updates to add features, or fix bugs, those updates are also done through Sentinel.

I dont know what "talk groups" are, so maybe some of them.

If you want to add talk groups to your scanning choices manually without Sentinel after the dealer programming (or if the programming for them changes), this is a good starting point to understand what trunking systems and their talk groups are and how they need to be programmed:

Alternatively, you may want to skip the scanner altogether and check out live streaming feeds using Broadcastify if there is anything there of interest to you there... scroll down the list of feeds here:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Skanz, you need nothing but an analog scanner to monitor those two cities.
You do not need a $600 plus a $60 upgrade to listen to PW.......
Be wise with your money.
You must have missed that the OP includes CSP in his want list:

I mostly ONLY want to listen to the following. All very nearby to me.
Hamden Police and Fire, as well as any Detective frequencies in Hamden that are available.
New Haven Police, Fire (and Detectives if available)
CSP Troop I, and detectives if available.
AMR ambulance- New Haven area
An analog scanner is not capable of monitoring that system.

Skanz

Skanz, you need nothing but an analog scanner to monitor those two cities.
You do not need a $600 plus a $60 upgrade to listen to PW.......
Be wise with your money.

Thanks for answering one of my questions! I see a later post that I. would not get CSP.... I dont have to have them. I want Hamden and New Haven mostly. AMR maybe but didn't care. Was just trying to justify the cost of an SDS by "adding" them also.

Having to go by a PC also on top of a scanner to listen to two towers is insane. And sentinel ( The one thing I said I didnt want to deal with) was the ONLY thing everyone keyed in on from my original post. Thanks for your answer.

Im not into going crazy every week etc to update something I want too listen to TWO towns on. I had no problem going the cash for an SDS, but I'm just not into all that comes with it, I guess.

Im not traveling with the thing. I'm not planning on even listening to boarding towns. There is nothing there I want to hear. Im interested in TWO towns, and would have done CSP if I could, and AMR ambulance.... don't know if there was anything else of interest outside of that, as no one answered on any of that.

I Appreciate your input a lot. Thanks.

Vulcanccit

Geek-Broadcast Engineer-Computer Dude-Scanner Dude
Skanz, hello from another newbie to the forum....im not new to scanners and my real job is I am a Broadcast Engineer....I fix radio stations and all of the things that make them run...computers are integral to the stations... with that said, given that you do not want to learn Sentinal and do not have a PC, I would not suggest going the route of running windows on a Mac as that task in itself can be complicated...

I would like to make this suggestion to you... Sentinal is a small program... perhaps a friend could put it on their computer... and you can bring your scanner there from time to time to do the update... Sentinal itself is pretty easy to use... you could export the set up to a thumb drive and just bring that over and have the friend fire up the program, you import your thumb drive (assuming the friend didn't want anything saved on their computer)...make the changes, and boom your done. Just a thought....

I hope this helps you somewhat :) Welcome to the forums!

Skanz

I could install windows 11 on one of my MACS-
Not interested in Sentinel though. For about the fourteenth time. Not interested in a Uniden OR their SDS any longer either, and would buy a Unication G5, if I decided to go further with this. Some members swayed me that way, should I choose to move on. ( only wanted to listen to two depts. and am doing it now) Uniden may be the only game in town for simulcast scanners, but there are other options, ( better) as I have seen.

Bought an analog scanner for 90 bucks, as only N8IAA suggested. Not a Uniden.

Thanks for your suggestions though, and I am serious.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for answering one of my questions! I see a later post that I. would not get CSP.... I dont have to have them. I want Hamden and New Haven mostly. AMR maybe but didn't care. Was just trying to justify the cost of an SDS by "adding" them also.

Having to go by a PC also on top of a scanner to listen to two towers is insane. And sentinel ( The one thing I said I didnt want to deal with) was the ONLY thing everyone keyed in on from my original post. Thanks for your answer.

Im not into going crazy every week etc to update something I want too listen to TWO towns on. I had no problem going the cash for an SDS, but I'm just not into all that comes with it, I guess.

Im not traveling with the thing. I'm not planning on even listening to boarding towns. There is nothing there I want to hear. Im interested in TWO towns, and would have done CSP if I could, and AMR ambulance.... don't know if there was anything else of interest outside of that, as no one answered on any of that.

I Appreciate your input a lot. Thanks.
It sounds like you don't want to run Windows on your Mac. Should you change your mind, see this from ScannerMaster:
Mac Users of Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

Vulcan's suggestion to see if a friend would load Sentinel for you is a good one. If, instead, you decide to pick up a used Windows PC or laptop, Sentinel does not require a high end, fast, machine. A used laptop or desktop, as long as they have Windows installed, and can connect to the Internet (for database updates) is all you need.

Skanz

If you do not want to learn Sentinal you for sure do not want to learn the Unication Software and learn how Trunking works.

You're right. I just want to listen. Not devote my life to this. A member very close by has a G5, showed me how it works around here and offered to set it up and maintain it. He isn't a big Uniden fan either. Some good people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.