• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

another range test of the 1989 President Grant and Tram 3500 .... 16.5 miles through a tall forest.

niceguy71

well I said I would post the video
I like fooling around with range tests and learning how to do video's
the conditions were terrible and not the location I wanted to range test at.... but I was interested to see if it could make it... I wished I had gone later in the evening.. I might have had a chance at getting the 2 more miles I needed.... but I think that city really killed it.

my 16.56 mile Range test of the Tram 3500

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
well I said I would post the video
I like fooling around with range tests and learning how to do video's
the conditions were terrible and not the location I wanted to range test at.... but I was interested to see if it could make it... I wished I had gone later in the evening.. I might have had a chance at getting the 2 more miles I needed.... but I think that city really killed it.

my 16.56 mile Range test of the Tram 3500

Should mention base station gear on video notes, IMO. As that’s what we are hearing.

Taller goofier is in your future.

Seven-mile clarity is SOP for basics well-done given NRC/901 from a mobile to a mobile. After that it just got harder.

I’ve outrun a base station with a C29 & TX Star 667 from my mobile. He lost me several miles before I lost him.

Another big truck shortening the distances from each of us relayed what I’d said.

That was at 0430 on the Plains. IIRC, leaving Emporia, KS on the Kansas Turnpike.

That ex-truck driver was a pleasant man, but he wasn’t happy that a mobile had greater range & clarity (Q5 + KL-7405V. 125W divided by 8’ Cophase antennas).

Last edited:

niceguy71

Should mention base station gear on video notes, IMO. As that’s what we are hearing.
the video editing has proven to be one of the harder things to learn.... your right if I took a small video of me and my base and explained what I was trying to do, it would be a nice video.......... So I can easily add that another day... great idea, ….. thanks!

the video up-load took a few hours... problems with the Microsoft site I was using... figuring out how to stitch things together and cut the junk out took another couple hours.... figuring out the text took more time... I was lucky to get it done today

I plan on doing a video on my base station one of these days....

Taller goofier is in your future.
I'm sure you and everyone else is sick and tired of me raving about my El-Cheap-o .... bottom of the barrel.... Tram 3500 CB antenna....
but It's honestly the best I've ever had... that blazer got about 3 miles for the most part... my friends with mustangs and Camaro's put cheap radio shack antennas on the roof and a cheap K-mart CB under the dash.... they always made my expensive K-40 and Grant look like junk... they always got 4 plus miles!!! so I'm totally amazed by how well it works.... I have friends that come over for help in setting up their antenna's..... and these FireSticks and LiL Will's, K-30's and Cobra HGA 1500's are lucky to do 3 miles that's what they sell at walmart I guess and it seems the ones that pop up first on Amazon.... but people only seem to want to pay pennies for their antenna's and if you want a cheap one that works that Tram 3500 checks all the boxes....... so I highly doubt I'll swap it out... I bought 4 of them when they were 30 bucks so I'll always have a spare!
Seven-mile clarity is SOP for basics well-done given NRC/901 from a mobile to a mobile. After that it just got harder.
my mobile normally does a lot better... but the conditions were not very good when I did my test.... another hour later and the conditions probably would have greatly improved.... but it is what it is, and it did pretty good, I'm proud of it.... hard to believe 16 miles through a forest and over an elevated highway... I have an elevated highway that runs through my town so it's like a giant wall the runs for 50 miles... I never do range tests in that direction as once I'm on the other side of the highway it's pretty hard to make it over that highway... but it did alright in my test! ... I'm happy with that... lot of guys can't make it over 10 miles!

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
If I was movin’ to Eastern Mass I’d be showin’ up with a roof-center BREEDLOVE #504 to dethrone the pretenders running an oh-so-innocent-looking CWB-27 on a half-ton Ferd.

Might be something under the hood (ahem) that third parties will be able to distinguish, ha!

We’d have us some fun, wouldn’t we?

Microphone equalization artillery after interior removal and sound-proofing aerial assault.

DC-DC converter just a start after house battery deep-cycle pair installed on frame-rail.

I looked in his truck and I could only see a Washington and a Digi-Mic.”

I wasn’t kidding about this set-up. Given all that you’ve had to say, I believe you’re the one given your logical problem-solving ability (livelihood) at making a killer NMO system. In a pickup already 14-years old.

That wasn’t “coincidence” you and @prcguy in the exchange about the CWB-27.

Won’t be but a trifle for you to color-match this.

I’d f it up a couple of times before I got it right.

IMG_2304.jpeg

And . . an AT6666-Pro to be Mobile Sideband King? As SSB is the real test of systems quality in getting heard from, “just an Export”. It shows on the scope to be better than an ICOM 7300?

Keep an eye on what the saturation divers on WWDX are talking about. Plenty of meat on the bone over there with diversions aplenty. 11M SSB is what fills their dive tanks. There’s some there that’ll brick a radio ten minutes after they un-box it . . but you’ll soon figure out who’s posts to read in aggregate. (Just like reading all of @mmckenna over here).

Clear off a shelf corner to light a candle for when the snows hit and inspiration will come that you could just swap radios and an antenna + LDG tuner to run an All Mode HF Radio such that your attention to detail is properly showcased in an install the Amateurs don’t achieve.

“Antenna”, while important, is just a component. It’s systems separate men from boys.

It’s impressive knowing I can key up and the world of AM-19 goes silent around me for other men. And then I pose my question from out of that silence as if I was riding with them. Clarity is a quality hard to define, but it is real, and it changes things.

“I looked in his truck —
with that little antenna on the roof — and all I saw was a radio and a mic”.

Practice your, (innocent), “who, me?”, smile.

Last edited: