• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Recommendation for a Multifamily Unit for GMRS Baofeng UV-5R (Newbie Here)

JoReyes80

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, i am in Massachusetts, in a a suburban area, more building than houses, but only 3 family buildings at the most, not much open areas, growing population, 30-45 minutes from the main city. I own a multifamily, legal 2 families with a finish attic, so like 3 family. Which antenna do you recommend for GMRS? Right now, I don't have a scanner. Also I am planning to buy a Retevis RT97 Repeater, there aren't much near me, Is there any advice ?

Thanks in advance, God Bless Everyone.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Also I am planning to buy a Retevis RT97 Repeater, there aren't much near me, Is there any advice ?

The repeater coverage is only going to be as good as the antenna system. The key to good coverage is getting your antenna up as high as you safely can.
You would probably be limited by what you can put up on your home, but getting a good antenna up high will be important.

Trouble is, the larger the antenna is, the more robust the support needs to be.

So, yes, good antenna, but make sure you can install it somewhere that it is in the clear and has a good view of your surrounding area. A 10 foot tall antenna may result in quite a wrestling match to get it installed.

For years, I ran a small low gain antenna from my home. Worked well for me, but I'm in a valley, so long range wasn't as critical and being able to reach repeaters on the mountains above me was more important.
That was a very durable and manageable antenna size. You can get higher gain models that are longer:

Make sure you get good quality coaxial cable to feed it. Repeater use requires the right kind of cable, usually something like Heliax. LMR-400 type cables are not well suited for repeater usage.

KF0NYL

Thank you very much, this is a good start and price very reasonable.
You're welcome. I have been very pleased with all of the Comet antennas I have. I am using a Comet GP9 for 2m/70cm and a Comet SBB1-NMO 2m/70cm on my vehicle.

The Comet CA-172EFC only weighs 3 pounds so weight is not an issue. I have it mounted to a J mount on top of my roof.

GMRS base antenna.jpg