Any Class Action on False Advertizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Comment # 20 is definitely the way to win friends and influence people. I guess frustration causes these such things to happen.

Personnally, I thank Paul for all his efforts to help bring the customers into focus on using the x36HP line of scanners, and to understand the programming procedures. Also, the help from K4DPS for his excellent videos on youtube.

JamesO

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I can understand the frustration level, but why are you so upset about this James? It's not like the rest of us wouldn't like the features to be available ASAP. Relax, when it's released you'll know it. Endless rant posts are not going to make ANY difference whatsoever. :D

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I think all this talk about class actions lawsuits is just that...talk. If these people are so damn upset and feel that a lawsuit needs to be filed, why don't they file the class action lawsuit themselves?

To me, this whole issue is like the weather; everybody talks about it but no one does anything about it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Well said, NWI_Scanner_Guy.

Some people seem extremely upset over this debacle and with all the talk of a lawsuit, nobody has done anything about it.

I popped over to HomePatrol.com expecting to see an outpouring of dissatisfaction over the new scanners but didn't see anything. People seem to like complaining here rather than the manufacturers website.

I would think if people wanted to hurt Uniden in their pocketbook, they would post at the website where potential customers would probably look for more information.

JamesO

I can understand the frustration level, but why are you so upset about this James? It's not like the rest of us wouldn't like the features to be available ASAP. Relax, when it's released you'll know it. Endless rant posts are not going to make ANY difference whatsoever. :D

I am not SO upset, however, I just responded to the n1chu with where he could find the latest and greatest status update.

I have worked most of my life for technology companies, not consumer electronics, and this kind of foolishness would never have been tolerated. Staff's head would roll for this kind of foolishness.

And all the 536HP owners are now being held hostage by the fact the 3rd party has to figure something out.

Sometimes external pressure makes things happen.

Additionally there seemed to be no effort or forethought put into any of this. Offer a wired solution first, this should have been the first test bed anyway. Wires work, wireless, well we all know about how that works out. It really seems that everyone sat around and said we cannot do any development until the wireless works. Use you head, get some testbeds up and functional. Work out the details, then introduce more levels of complexity.

Also there are PLENTY of silly things Uniden did not even think through fully. How to you remotely turn this unit on and off? Let is follow vehicle power, not so much, the scanner had to write to the SD card on shut down. Not going to think this scanner and the SD cards will be happy with 5-10 power cycles a day. You cannot turn the 536HP on via the App. I have mentioned time and time again, they have a sense wire on the mobile DC cord, use this as a way to PROPERLY power the scanner on and off.

Actually I am one of the few who is telling the Class Action fanboys to knock it off. It will get us nothing. I would prefer Uniden to focus on the task at hand. I think even if Uniden could/would roll out part of the features it would be helpful.

So many are wrapped around the axle on the Siren App, when the Analyze Feature is a common part for both the 436/536 and I think more should be focused on the Analyze Feature.

I think the issue here is only the folks that have the HP1 and purchased the Extreme Upgrade are familiar with the Analyze Feature and see its benefit. For the casual user, that have not had a chance to play with the Analyze Feature they may not know what they are missing.

It would be one thing it we were dealing with just a single delay but we are 6 months into the product and everyone is still chasing their tail on multiple issues/features.

A Clear, Concise and Accurate "target" timeline for some of these issues would be helpful.

Interesting how "corp" is dead silent. While UPMan's comments and updates are helpful, they are vague and not in one place, they are sprinkled throughout this and maybe other forums. So they are really hard for people to follow and get first hand info.

In the REAL world, when you are in the business world working on things, even technical in nature, there are methods to track progress and groups are required to provide progress reports even on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.

I think at this point owners should have the courtesy of at least a single point of info and monthly updates in ONE place. Whether there be no progress or some glimmer of hope. Even mentioning that Beta releases are being tested and vetted.

Just because this is a "consumer electronic device" does not mean they should get any special handling. I think even politicians provide more info, although it may be not worth the paper it is written on!

Come on Uniden, lets handle this on a professional level, step up and be honest and straight forward on what is happening. Put all the "official word" in one location and updated us on target time frames, what contingencies you are working on, how long you will keep this all on life support before you roll over and give up.

wise871

Database Admin
At this point I really don't blame customers for wanting to vent and being upset. What is considered a reasonable time to resolve the issues? During the initial release video certain features were advertised. These features are why some of us purchased the x36. My primary reason was the wifi feature followed by the record feature.

I really hope Uniden can fix the problems, but I also can't blame consumers for being upset as long as it's done without bashing others. As each month goes by we tell everyone to hang on for a few more months. As more months go by we see does who were once hopeful now becoming frustrated.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
File a class action and watch them decide it's not a profitable enough product line and discontinue all scanners completely. That's what I would fear. As frustrating as it is I would rather live with some mistakes than take a chance at ruining a source of good products completely.

wise871

Database Admin
I'm sure Joe, Bob, Mabel and Billy Ray are frustrated and Jeff is just pissed :lol:.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Wow, you guys all have your tin foil hats on too tight! You go ahead and waste your hard-earned money filing your lawsuit. Here's a better idea: DON'T BUY ANY MORE OF THIER JUNK

dkf435

Can tell you right now that I still have not acquired the 2 or 3 BCDx36 radios that I will be getting because of the vaporware/dongle and quality issues. May just get a PSR900 before Uniden resolves these issues. While not being a large user I have had over 20 and probably closer to 30 Uniden radios over the years and while taking Uniden off the table as a supplier totally is impossible, if Whistler gets off their rears and starts innovating scanners Uniden will have a big problem

David Kb7uns

durangoGreg

I am not SO upset, however, I just responded to the n1chu with where he could find the latest and greatest status update.

I have worked most of my life for technology companies, not consumer electronics, and this kind of foolishness would never have been tolerated. Staff's head would roll for this kind of foolishness.

And all the 536HP owners are now being held hostage by the fact the 3rd party has to figure something out.

Sometimes external pressure makes things happen.

Additionally there seemed to be no effort or forethought put into any of this. Offer a wired solution first, this should have been the first test bed anyway. Wires work, wireless, well we all know about how that works out. It really seems that everyone sat around and said we cannot do any development until the wireless works. Use you head, get some testbeds up and functional. Work out the details, then introduce more levels of complexity.

Also there are PLENTY of silly things Uniden did not even think through fully. How to you remotely turn this unit on and off? Let is follow vehicle power, not so much, the scanner had to write to the SD card on shut down. Not going to think this scanner and the SD cards will be happy with 5-10 power cycles a day. You cannot turn the 536HP on via the App. I have mentioned time and time again, they have a sense wire on the mobile DC cord, use this as a way to PROPERLY power the scanner on and off.

Actually I am one of the few who is telling the Class Action fanboys to knock it off. It will get us nothing. I would prefer Uniden to focus on the task at hand. I think even if Uniden could/would roll out part of the features it would be helpful.

So many are wrapped around the axle on the Siren App, when the Analyze Feature is a common part for both the 436/536 and I think more should be focused on the Analyze Feature.

I think the issue here is only the folks that have the HP1 and purchased the Extreme Upgrade are familiar with the Analyze Feature and see its benefit. For the casual user, that have not had a chance to play with the Analyze Feature they may not know what they are missing.

It would be one thing it we were dealing with just a single delay but we are 6 months into the product and everyone is still chasing their tail on multiple issues/features.

A Clear, Concise and Accurate "target" timeline for some of these issues would be helpful.

Interesting how "corp" is dead silent. While UPMan's comments and updates are helpful, they are vague and not in one place, they are sprinkled throughout this and maybe other forums. So they are really hard for people to follow and get first hand info.

In the REAL world, when you are in the business world working on things, even technical in nature, there are methods to track progress and groups are required to provide progress reports even on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.

I think at this point owners should have the courtesy of at least a single point of info and monthly updates in ONE place. Whether there be no progress or some glimmer of hope. Even mentioning that Beta releases are being tested and vetted.

Just because this is a "consumer electronic device" does not mean they should get any special handling. I think even politicians provide more info, although it may be not worth the paper it is written on!

Come on Uniden, lets handle this on a professional level, step up and be honest and straight forward on what is happening. Put all the "official word" in one location and updated us on target time frames, what contingencies you are working on, how long you will keep this all on life support before you roll over and give up.

I agree, James.

It is one thing to miss a deadline but it is another to keep customers completely in the dark and not present a new target timeline.

There have not been any firmware updates since the one and only update in March. There are a number of issues which could be improved just by minor firmware updates. The HP-1 has received updates and the X36 radios get "squat".

Uniden needs to have a central location for releasing info to the customers and needs a real timeline.(even if it is as vague as 1st Qtr 2015). By being silent, it makes it seem as if Uniden is doing nothing and not taking the issue seriously.

It is ridiculous that customers have to constantly keep checking, day after day in various areas of the internet to see if there is any "official news". For all we know Uniden might be more than 1 year out from delivering on the promised features. If they were closer than a year out, why not release a public target date.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Wow, you guys all have your tin foil hats on too tight! You go ahead and waste your hard-earned money filing your lawsuit. Here's a better idea: DON'T BUY ANY MORE OF THIER JUNK

I like this one...

I don't consider my x36HP radios "junk", far from it, and I wear my tin foil hat rather loosely :lol:

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
And let us not forget about features that were in the previous XT scanner line that are missing in the X36HP line.

The class action lawsuit brought against Logitech for 1 missing feature (Z-Wave) was settled and Logitech had to replace anyone with a H1000 remote ($300) with a brand new remote that retails for more than the H1000 did.

Sometimes class action lawsuits are brought against companies to punish the company for its bad behavior like lying to their customers, and/or falsely advertising their product to gain an unfair advantage against their competition.

So let's see, Uniden lied about
1) wifi capabilities
2) MANY advanced features

I think we all can agree Uniden rushed the x36HP line of scanners to beat Whistler to the finish line. The first batches of 536's had a major headphone issue, which required everyone to send them back. Further proof they were rushed out the door was their stock firmware was unusable for the most part on many systems throughout the country.

What about the people who specifically bought the 536HP for its wifi and siren app? They can't return their scanners for a refund now. What about the people who upgraded to the 436HP specifically for its analyze feature?

A class action lawsuit is coming soon if Uniden doesn't get off it's a55 and deliver what was promised and advertised. Trust me, there are tons of lawyers that would take on a class action lawsuit against Uniden in a heartbeat. Yes, lawyers generally are scum, but it's sounding like they may be needed.

Uniden need to fess up NOW and be completely honest with its customers. Give us the option to send these faulty, half functioning scanners back to them for a full refund. That's the only way I can see a class action lawsuit averted at this point in time. Uniden needs to be held accountable for this mess THEY created.

Is it that Uniden would rather face a class action lawsuit than hire some decent coders? I guess a lawsuit is cheaper than hiring a few extra people. "Penny wise, dollar foolish" has gotten MANY companies in legal trouble. Look at GM, they saved $0.37 on each ignition, only to have to spend $10's billion on fines and lawsuits. R.J. Reynolds lied to its customers and just lost another lawsuit for 36 billion dollars.

If you bought a new car and the speedometer and gas gage didn't work for 7 months with no fix in sight, would you want your money back? Sooner or later people get sick and tired of false promises and lies.

I bet if the "extreme" features of the x36HP were a paid upgrade option, Uniden would have had it up and going for sale in February.

Time to fess up Uniden and stop lying to us. Your reputation is on the line with many.

Status
Not open for further replies.