• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AnyTone AT-5888UV III Triband Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
at least

Except it's a different circuit board in a different form factor with a different display, control setup, and feature set, and a has a different power output. But other than that, yeah everything is identical.

At least someones stepping up to the plate to release a nice 144/220/440 tribander,Yaesu releases things with 1 watt?!! I mean seriously why even try?
Wheres 1 watt going to go on a mobile? Kenwood had a nice tribander The Tm-742a but of course they wont dare go there anymore.So people who want a neat radio like a tribander are going to get the Anytone.
if its ever released that is......I hope the radio is decent .

Voyager

Except it's a different circuit board in a different form factor with a different display, control setup, and feature set, and a has a different power output. But other than that, yeah everything is identical.

I apologize. I was not aware that they were sourcing the parts for the mobile from a completely different manufacturer than they were using for the portables - especially the rotary pots like the volume control. ;)

How is it you know so much about their manufacturing process?

I was also not aware the feature set of the mobile was going to be different. What are the differences in features of the mobile?

Different power output? Oh! THAT explains why the volume pot won't have the same issues! :lol:
"Hey, turn up your volume control on your radio. I can't hear what you're transmitting"
(Yes, I've actually heard someone tell another user that on the air)

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
AnyTone Tri-Band Radios (Mobile and Portable) Update

OK heard from Ed from Wouxan US via e-mail today.
The AnyTone AT-5888UV III Chinese Tri - Band Mobile Radio may take a few more weeks or even months before it becomes available in the US.
Quote from their website:
"This radio will be available in
I've stopped guessing when it will be completed, as it is now 3-4 months past due.

Pre-delivery orders will be taken when a firm delivery date is known."
Sometimes it just takes longer for the release of a new radio especially a Tri-Bander from China. Hopefully this unit will be available by Christmas or Jan 2015 the latest :(?

Max:cool:

OK Folks whether your flavor is the mobile unit or the portable unit tri-band radio. From Ed at Wouxan USA: Both are delayed in PRC. (China)
The portable unit's are awaiting a flight out via UPS (Currently in transit from a PRC distributor to the airport:roll:.) Mobile unit still awaiting manufacturers release date though three months late of original target date:(!
Christmas and New Year's looks more likely now:confused:.
Just got to be patient!

Max :cool:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I apologize. I was not aware that they were sourcing the parts for the mobile from a completely different manufacturer than they were using for the portables - especially the rotary pots like the volume control.

Where in my post did I say anything about a different manufacturer? All I said was a different form factor. Smaller form factor of the HT usually means more miniaturized components, especially large things like potentiometers.

How is it you know so much about their manufacturing process?

...and your credentials are?

I was also not aware the feature set of the mobile was going to be different. What are the differences in features of the mobile?

Mobile has voice scrambler, for one. 50 watt RF out of the mobile vs 5 watts RF out of the HT for another. RTFM, they are available for download at the wouxun.us site from the respective product pages.

Different power output? Oh! THAT explains why the volume pot won't have the same issues! :lol:
"Hey, turn up your volume control on your radio. I can't hear what you're transmitting"
(Yes, I've actually heard someone tell another user that on the air)

I'm pretty sure a 50-watt RF output amp is going to have different components than a 5-watt RF amp, but you're entitled to your confusions.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
November 17th -l AnyTone Tri-Band Radios (Mobile and Portable) Update

Received an e-mail from Ed today:

Tri Band portable
Anytone AT-3318UV-E is now in stock and is shipping out.

As for the mobile here is the info:

First factory run of AT-5888UV III radio will be December 1st.
Starting November 18, orders will be accepted for a US delivery
by the end of the month (November).

MSRP $395.00

Special pre-order price offer announced Nov 18th

Check their web site for details.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
The Pre Order Price is...

AT-5888UV III Tri Band Mobile
From the web site the Pre Order Price is...

US Sales Only - Price includes Priority Mail Shipping
$335.00

Canada Sales Only - Includes Priority Mail Shipping
$360.00

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Waiting

Got my order in, now on waiting list.
In by Xmas or New Years and hopefully with the correct programing software and cable?
(Have to be cautious on first time runs too!)
Then I'll program, test and post my review here.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Release Delayed until late January 2015 for AnyTone AT-5888UV III

Release Delayed until late January 2015 for AnyTone AT-5888UV III Triband Mobile:(!

E-Mail received from Ed today.

[FONT=&quot]Merry Christmas.

I will greet you with Merry Christmas even though my news is less than merry.

It seems that the Chinese have stuck me in the middle of their screw-up once again. 100 pcs of the Tri-band mobile were to be produced the first of December for delivery by the end of the month, so I bought and paid for all 100 pieces and in turn accepted pre-delivery orders from you guys.

A couple days ago, Anytone informed me that delivery has been postponed to the end of January. I honestly don't know if they will stick to this date or not.

If you would like to receive a refund, please let me know as soon as possible. For my book keeping records, I'd like to issue refunds before the end of the year. Any person getting a refund will have their order deleted from my system but will be notified (by email) when orders are again accepted.

You have my apologies but I'm in the same boat as everyone else, only x100.

Ed[/FONT]

I'll wait it out, got my order in, Hopefully by the end of January.
Realistically, I am thinking perhaps by Valentines Day (2/14/2015) as the next practical target date :confused:.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Release Delayed now until March 2015 for AnyTone AT-5888UV III

Apparently manufacturing and QC (Quality Control) are adding further time line distribution delays. The Release date is now scheduled March 2015 for AnyTone AT-5888UV III Tri-band mobile :mad:!

I'll still keep to the course and wait it out. "Good things come to those who wait"

Below is the latest info from
ED at Import Communications via e-mail to me and others who are awaiting the arrival of this unit.

January 2, 2015

This evening I found out that Anytone has once again delayed the shipping date for the tri-band mobile radio. At this point, I won't even guess when they will ship them. Here is what I received in their email:
"Just now engineer told me, still found problem on the triband mobile radio, in adjusting now. Quite sorry, I think sample will be provided in Jan, whole shipment will be March."

So decide if you are willing to hold out or if you would like to get a refund. PayPal only allows 60 days from purchase date to issue a refund. For some of your orders, that time limit ends in about 10 days. If you would like a refund, especially if you ordered in November, PLEASE let me know ASAP. I will issue refunds as quickly as possible, but please be patient because I may need to fund my account (because I try to keep my balance withdrawn as often as possible). Funding my account may take a few days.

Any customer that is given a refund, will be notified by email when the shipment of radios have left the factory, in case you want to place another order.

Ed

Max Powers:cool:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Latest Update from Ed.

Here's the latest news on the Anytone Tri-Band mobile radio.

The whole country of China shuts down this weekend for the beginning of the two week Chinese New Year holiday. Before they leave, they have said they will ship my sample of the mobile radio. If it gets my approval, when they return on the 28th, they will begin production. Hopefully this will happen fairly quickly.

I've posted the software if you would like to take a look at it. As expected, it looks pretty much the same as the dual band software. Since it's possible this may not be the final version, I would use it only to play with to see the features of the radio. The file is here: http://wouxun.us/Software/AnyTone-Software/Tri-Band-Mobile.rar

Anything new and I'll pass it along.

Ed

Thanks

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Latest update from Ed G

[FONT=&quot]March 3, 2015

Here's the latest news on the tri-band mobile. As you may know, the Chinese have been on a holiday for the past +2 weeks. Before they left the factory, they sent a sample of the radio to me for testing. As soon as it arrived, I handed it over to a friend who is not only very active on 220, but is a knowledgeable technician.

After a few days of testing, there were a few problems found that seemed to be more firmware related than anything else. Although the engineer had not yet returned from holiday, he was told of the problems and said they would be corrected. The only issue that can not be corrected is the output on 220. Early on, I had been told that 220 output would be 40 watts, so that's what I've been expecting and advertising. It turns out that 220 output will be 20-25 watts.

At this point, I think the radio is (or will be after tweaking) as advertised, except for the 220 output. If the 20-25 watt output for 220 is a deal breaker for you, just let me know and I'll issue you a refund.

I don't know the schedule but hopefully they are still on track for delivery by mid-March.

Ed

[/FONT]

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
AT-5888UV III Radio is a BUST!

Apparently this radio is a "BUST" when it comes to a practical release date.
Ed at Wouxan USA is going through the same aggravation as those of us who have ordered and have patiently waited for this radio to ship.
Here is the latest note from Ed on this radio.

3/31/2015

Here's the latest info I have. As you know several weeks ago, two sampled of the radio arrived and were tested by some technician friends. There were a couple problems found that we thought would be mostly firmware problems, resulting in a quick fix. As it turned out, fixing one of these problems required remaking the main board of the radio, according to the factory. After asking for an update, the factory sent this message last night, "We plan to finish the sample unit in April. After the sample unit is approval, I will advise shipping date."

By "April" they could mean the 1st or the 31st. Like you, I'm tired of waiting on this radio. Although I paid for 100 of these radios last October, I'll give them a bit longer before I pull the plug. After all, it was May of last year, at Dayton, I/they announced this radio would be available in "a couple of months". So they're just a little behind! But if anyone wants a refund, let me know. Please note that if you request a refund, I may not be able to give it via PayPal. PayPal only allows refunds for a short period of time. (although they allow customers to dispute for 6 months, but that's another story). My other ***** about PayPal, not that you're interested, is that I lose the PayPal fee after this short refund window expires. Anyway, some refunds may be made by sending you a check, but a refund is available to anyone that wants one.

I'll pass along any news that comes along.

My response to Ed....

Ed

It will be sometime in April before you to receive a "test" Sample radio.
Then when you have given them your report they will announce a as for now, a time in the future a shipping date. Which could mean perhaps April (doubt it) May, July who knows August of 2015 or later as their track record has shown?

This is Way beyond their (Any Tone's) original target date. Over a year plus!
All this R&D type of testing should have been done before hand and once the unit was finalized for production then a release date should have be announced!
It is not happening this way.

OK UNCLE! I am out! I Have been patient, given them the benefit of the doubt!

Ed please cancel my order!

I have decided to use the credit for the tri bander to order a few portables and offer them at at cost (no profit to me) to some of our newbie Ham OEM/CERT members in town.

In closing it's not Ed G's fault. His company and customer service has been excellent in this matter.

Disappointed in Any Tone:mad:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I bought 2 of the -E handhelds 6 months ago. They're good radios.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Here is Ed's latest reply from June (I haven't bugged him since):

6/29/2015

Here is the latest news I have on the Anytone Tri-band mobile radio.

As you probably know, several months ago, a sample of the radio was tested and some minor problems were found. This was mostly a de-sense problem when using a combination of the 144 band and the 220 band. The factory has corrected this (hopefully) by reducing the 220 output to 20 watts, adding shielding and actually making a new main circuit board.

The factory will be sending a new sample to me this week and if I can give them the OK, they will produce the radio in July. It's been a LONG time!

FCC Certification.....
Problems with FCC Certification have come to light recently. It seems that dual certification is not allowed, so only one certification can be granted to the tri-band radio.

As it stands now, the factory plans to certify the radio as Part 15B and limit the out-of-box transmit frequencies to ham-bands only. Expanded transmit frequencies for 136-174 MHz & 400-490 MHz can be added either by software or internal jumper. Either way, transmit for will remain locked to 222-225 MHz for the 1.25 meter band and can not be changed.

It may be possible that there is an alternative to the above, but I am not sure at this time. It may be possible to totally lock out 220 transmit (out of the box), allowing the radio to be Part 90 certified. Restoration of 222-225 MHz transmit would require changing an internal jumper. Of course, this method may not even be legal, so Part 15B may be the only choice.

From a marketing standpoint, I would like to know which certification method would be the most desirable. If Part 90 outweighs Part 15B, then I'll have the factory check the legalities for Part 90 certification. Let me know what you think. Part 90 or Part 15B?

I'll update the results of testing the new sample ASAP.

Ed

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Why would it being a Tri-band restrict from Part 90 (assuming VFO can be locked out in the software)? Not as prevalent, but there is still some Part 90 220 around.

Status
Not open for further replies.