AOR DV1 music on the AM air band

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
Hi!
I couldn't read the solution on the forum here, so I decided to describe my problem.
Recently, at the beginning of the year, I was looking for a new scanner that has everything. I decided on SDS200e. What did I want to listen to? Mainly AM Airplanes with 108-136Mhz and services operating in the 136-175Mhz range and other less important signals. Initially, I decided on SDS because it is a nice-priced device for me. I had several unidens before and this one was already expanded with DMR. I bought it, listened to it for the first time and it was better than Uniden125, but nothing great. I live in a country border in central Europe. I have two countries to listen to, Poland and Germany. In my location, I am about 120 km (74 mi) to a large Polish airport where there is ATC, FIS and other services that constantly transmit in contact with planes. I heard SDS but only what was in the air, no control on the ground was heard. I live in a block of flats on the top floor. I have a Sirio 1300 Discon antenna set high above the building. It's less than 60 km (37 mi) to the second airport in Germany, an even larger one. There, I only hear planes in the air occasionally.
I wasn't happy with my airplane AM reception. The 136-174 range was ok, but the AM airband was terrible.
I read many posts, watched videos on YouTube and talked on Facebook and many people recommended the top-class AOR DV1 receiver. I bought it.
My disappointment is very great. My AOR picks up the same as SDS or even less sometimes. It all depends on the settings. The biggest problem I have is that the connected antenna on the roof of the AOR collects signals from the radio - from the musician's loudspeakers - in three frequencies of the AM radio band. It is not a clear voice, but the receiver hears the music through the noise. The receiver picks up these sounds very strongly and I have to set SQL to 40 to not hear the noise and music. You can only hear music on AM and it doesn't matter whether AM15, AM8 or AM5.5. There's always music. I also checked various settings of other parameters. From time to time, the pilot talking through the music breaks through, but you can't hear him very well. This happens on the airport frequency in Germany and two, sometimes three in Poland. The frequency of the German airport that plays the loudest is 124.9500mHz and I hear music from about 124.8Hz to 125.1. In Poland I don't hear any AM radio in this range. Same in Germany. For example, SDS200e is completely silent in this respect, even with SQL set to 0, you can't hear a single note.
The radio is new. It has the latest software. The antenna cable is 10m 50 Ohm H155.
AOR is very fast. It was also supposed to be better than SDS in digital emotion, but it turns out that it is quite the opposite.
Is this normal behavior? Maybe there is something wrong with the radio?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
okay! Yes, I know that there are such filters and I even had one in my possession once and they are available in Poland. Unfortunately, the specifications show that they cut out the 80-108mHz band, i.e. the band that cuts into neighboring frequencies. Music plays at a frequency of 124mHz, which is far beyond the operating range of this filter. Music can only be heard in AM modulation, nothing can be heard in FM. Other filters work in a way that cuts everything out and leaves the airband. It cuts out before and after the airband, so that's the range I'm also interested in. Everything shown in the video.

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
Agree what you need is a filter

Also take a look here

I saw this filter in Poland, but it is dedicated only to the aviation band and I need to work in the 118-174 MHz range. Unfortunately, I haven't seen such filters for such a wide bandwidth... The signals that I monitor on the bands around 170 MHz are weak signals that are very distant, so I cannot suppress them with anything.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I have the this filter that is sold by Scanner Master (located in the USA). It definitely block FM Broadcast Radio / Music on several of my AOR receivers. I don't have the DV1 but I have used it on AR8200, AR8600, and AR8000 receivers. It clears up the aircraft band and does not block any of the frequencies in the 150 thru 170 area. On a handheld, it is slightly awkward and make the receiver very top heavy but on your desktop receiver, the filter will be in the feed line from the antenna and won't be a problem. Scanner Master ships all over the world but they don't allow returns from anywhere other than the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.png
    IMG_0992.png
    274.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

palmerjrusa

I have the this filter that is sold by Scanner Master (located in the USA). It definitely block FM Broadcast Radio / Music on several of my AOR receivers. I don't have the DV1 but I have used it on AR8200, AR8600, and AR8000 receivers. It clears up the aircraft band and does not block any of the frequencies in the 150 thru 170 area. On a handheld, it is slightly awkward and make the receiver very top heavy but on your desktop receiver, the filter will be in the feed line from the antenna and won't be a problem. Scanner Master ships all over the world but they don't allow returns from anywhere other than the USA.

I own this filter to block FM Broadcast bleed into the UHF military aviation band, it works well for that purpose.

MStep

Rather than getting filters that may or may not work, you may have better results with a radio specifically designed for the aircraft band. Perhaps something like the Icom IC-A16B or similar unit, if it is available in your country.

palmerjrusa

Rather than getting filters that may or may not work, you may have better results with a radio specifically designed for the aircraft band. Perhaps something like the Icom IC-A16B or similar unit, if it is available in your country.

I'd suggest the IC-R30 but, alas, it's been discontinued.

Unlike my AR-DV1 and AR-DV10 my IC-R30s don't require a filter at all, scans happily with no FM interference...

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised one would be getting any images or any sort of overload in the VHF aeronautical COM band with an AOR desktop communications receiver. My AR-8600 has excellent filtering in the VHF band thanks in part to the use of Varicap-tuned filters. Since the specs of the AR-DV1 are similar to the AR-8600 in the VHF band I have to wonder if the AR-DV1 has some design compromises. Of course, your radio could indeed be faulty in this part of the spectrum.

Some of my favorite scanners for airband listening:

BC-785XLT (Has Varicap-tuned filters in the VHF band))
UBC-780XLT (Has Varicap-tuned filters in the VHF band))
UBC-9000XLT
PRO-2042
PRO-2096
PRO-96
WS-1010
UBC-126AT
UBC-396XT
BCD996P2
BCT15X
PRO-137
BC-365CRS

As for communications receivers, I use: AR-5000A, AR-3000A, AR-8600, AR-8200, Yaesu VR-120, Icom R5 and the Icom R30 - all used for civil and military airband monitoring. No problems with any of these receivers.

Airband transceivers are nicely built with good selectivity and loud audio but lack sensitivity. They are really only designed for short range comms traffic.

Last edited:

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
Sugerowałbym IC-R30, ale niestety został wycofany.

W przeciwieństwie do mojego AR-DV1 i AR-DV10, moje IC-R30 w ogóle nie wymagają filtra, skanują szczęśliwie bez zakłóceń FM...
I managed to buy an Icom R30 from the secondary market. I wonder how it will compare to AOR

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
I know receivers only for the aviation band, but I also listen to signals in the 136-175 range, so it must be a broadband receiver.

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
Very favorably...
Time will tell. I once bought an SDS200e and some of my friends say I was stupid, because SDS is bad and AOR is incomparably better. Of course, I know that everything is influenced by several factors. Antenna type, antenna cable, location... However, as much as I would like to try to love AOR, it is impossible, because in my case SDS is better.

I still have to try the filter, but every seller I talk to says that the AIR band filter will cut everything above 140 MHz and the 170 MHz stations will be additionally soundproofed.

palmerjrusa

Time will tell. I once bought an SDS200e and some of my friends say I was stupid, because SDS is bad and AOR is incomparably better. Of course, I know that everything is influenced by several factors. Antenna type, antenna cable, location... However, as much as I would like to try to love AOR, it is impossible, because in my case SDS is better.

I still have to try the filter, but every seller I talk to says that the AIR band filter will cut everything above 140 MHz and the 170 MHz stations will be additionally soundproofed.

As others have suggested I think this filter should solve your problem:

Useable frequency range: 31 - 80 and 118 - 1600 MHz

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
To Kamil, the OP.

A band stop filter is designed to REMOVE the frequencies listed on it. You place the 88-108MHz filter in line between your antenna and radio, and it will remove the band 88-108 but LEAVE everything else alone. It is designed for exactly what you are trying to do, which is listed to the air band and above but remove the FM Broadcast band.

I think this was missed in the replies to your comments about filters.

Do you have FM Broadcast transmitters on the block of flats you live in ?

I would first make sure that you can rule out a fault with the DV1. I myself also have a DV1 and operate it with a Diamond X-50. The local VHF radio station is about 3.5 KM (as the crow flies) away, but I have no spillover from the radio range in the aircraft radio band. Do you have the possibility to test another station receiver on your antenna?

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
I would first make sure that you can rule out a fault with the DV1. I myself also have a DV1 and operate it with a Diamond X-50. The local VHF radio station is about 3.5 KM (as the crow flies) away, but I have no spillover from the radio range in the aircraft radio band. Do you have the possibility to test another station receiver on your antenna?
Yes! I have a permanently installed antenna. Sirio Discone 1300. Cable 8m long h155. AOR DV1 and SDS200e are connected to this set. AOR has some strange behavior and SDS is immune to such anomalies. The nearest TV and radio transmitter is 50 km away. There are several mobile phone towers in the area, but they are not FM transmitters. If I test it on a telescopic antenna, there is a different noise level and I cannot hear the FM radio. So the conclusion is that it certainly collects interference emitted into the air on the external antenna.

rumcajs_tr

Hello, the HPN-30118 is made here in Czech republic, you can buy it at DD-amtek for example. I have many such filters in my shack, all work as designed.
Try to contact them if they ship to Poland, I think this is much easier than bring it from US. The price is cca 23 USD :) when converted from CZK to USD.
They also sell HPN-30118-T with a parallel choke at the input side, that conducts static electricity from Discone type antennas.
They have plenty of other filters, preamps, attenuators, splitters, etc... for various bands: