Audio recording from multiple mic feeds into separate files

Status
Not open for further replies.

phadobas

I've been trying to figure this out for a while:
I have upwards of 8-10 microphones and I want to record their audio feed. Each microphones into different file directories and different files. I guess date/time stamp the file. It could be continuous recording or voice-activated.

Then I want these recordings available from any stations on my company network. So a user could sit down, remote-desktop to the other computer that has these mics connected, and just play back the file of their choice, redirecting the audio to their station.

Or better yet, doing it in a different way: I recently found a digital audio mixer. It can take the 8-10 mics. Then this mix board can be connected straight to my company network through ethernet, and one can just browse to it and select which input to direct to the output. The output being either an analog out, or USB to a computer. But in this case, the computer would only record that one mic that is being directed to it. Ideally, the mixer would somehow stream the output to the computer that's browsing to it, but it doesn't have that feature. I wish I did as then the whole thing would be solved.

Basically, it's for a training center and the supervisor wants to hear conversations going in different rooms. And somehow he should be able to select which room he wants to hear, and if there is no conversation going, he should be able to move on to the next room to see what's in there. Actually, recording is not even a requirement, but I haven't been able to find any way to do it real-time. I've been playing around with Viking SO24 Service Observing Unit, but it's an old analog setup, and audio is horrible. But you CAN connect many mics to it, and you can connect an analog phone to it, and flip through its different inputs. It's just an old technology.

I know this site is called "Radio" reference for a reason, and I might be off-topic a little, but I've seen discussions about Raspberry Pi-s and sound cards and even mixboards, so I'm not that far off with this application. Maybe somebody just has the right combination of knowledge and ideas to point to the right direction.

N2AL

Well, I can’t offer much advice on the setup, but I can go ahead and give you a forewarning. This venture had the possibility to break U.S. Federal Laws. So tread carefully if you are located in the States, because Federal Court is not a place you want to be.

Ubbe

It looks like you can connect all microphones to one common place, when you mention using a mixer. There are cheap $2 USB soundcards with mic input you can use with one computer and a USB hub and then it's like a streaming platform but with mics instead of scanners. ProScan got a free program to stream audio that probably can be used and on other computers you can make an internet Explorer shortcut with an ip and port number for each stream.

I have a program called ScannerLive from Skywatch that can manage 10 streams to listen to on one easy overview that probably can be used on the supervisors computer.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The OP is not talking recording scanners the OP is talking about bugging 10 rooms and possibly recording the people talking with out the people's permission and that is against the law in the United States.

phadobas

In terms of legality, while the above is not in place (not even the viking, other than testing in my lab), as I mentioned, it may be implemented in a training place and all parties are made aware of this by signs. That way it is legal.

So now we can get back into worrying about how to accomplish this technically. Ubbe has a good point for me to look into.

DC31

Feed Provider
My experience is centered around the raspberry pi running the pulseaudio sound server. Using pulseaudio you can serve up audio from one device on other devices running on the network. The RPi doesn’t have on board sound input so you would need a usb sound card. However, there are other similar devices with on board microphones: Mini Shield for NanoPi Duo - FriendlyARM WiKi. If you could get pulseaudio to work on those similarly to the pi, you stick one in each trainig room. A master device with the supervisor can choose which of the pulseaudio feeds it wants to listen to, all through the local wifi network.

Attachments

• 37F0FDD3-B7E6-419C-9524-549288BC714B.jpeg
    37F0FDD3-B7E6-419C-9524-549288BC714B.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DFE81275-755E-4434-8A89-6223EB8B0121.jpeg
    DFE81275-755E-4434-8A89-6223EB8B0121.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.