Band / Distance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
These people wishing to do this aren’t in the USA, but in Canada. The first post showed the location of Halifax, NS. Hams in Canada have different classes of licenses. They may have different segments of the bands to use then hams in the USA.

slice27

Just as an aside, 10m is available for use in Canada, but only to those who hold at least a Basic certification with honours. Also, there is only 30MHz of bandwidth in Canada at 70cm.

slice27

Unfortunately I am unable to edit my previous post. However, I mistyped when I said that there was 30 MHz of bandwidth at 70cm. There is only 20MHz of bandwidth at 70cm. :p

majoco

Stirrer
You said that you have two repeaters nearby - so why not use them? They are/were installed for exactly the purpose you need!

Last edited:

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Short Comms

Just curious, if a band exists that would allow simplex on distances up to 20/30 miles? I'm just studying for my exam now and hope to be licensed end of year or early next year. A few friends and myself are hoping to get into it. We were at first planning on only looking at the 2m band however an additional person has showed interest and they are quit a while out.

Hello,
You should be able to communicate on 2m simplex at over 20 miles with just a simple antenna 20ft off the ground.The 6m band also is good for local comms even when there is no DX.Good luck on getting your licence.

73 Russ VE3ELL

ObiHann

You said that you have two repeaters nearby - so why not use them? They are/were installed for exactly the purpose you need!

There are four people involved in this. Myself and Person A are so close that we don't need to worry, myself and person B are quite a way apart, however there is a repeater somewhat in between. Myself and person C are also far apart, and to our knowledge there are no repeaters.

ChevySS

Just curious, if a band exists that would allow simplex on distances up to 20/30 miles? I'm just studying for my exam now and hope to be licensed end of year or early next year. A few friends and myself are hoping to get into it. We were at first planning on only looking at the 2m band however an additional person has showed interest and they are quit a while out.

10, 6, 2, 440 are good for 20/30 miles as long as you aren't in a hole and you're able to run 50-100 watts into at least a 1/4 antenna. More distance can be had with a beam of course. However, if you're all scattered around, NSEW you may find you can only hear one or two on the beam before you have to move it to hear the next guy and so on.

KC8TCQ

There are four people involved in this. Myself and Person A are so close that we don't need to worry, myself and person B are quite a way apart, however there is a repeater somewhat in between. Myself and person C are also far apart, and to our knowledge there are no repeaters.

Even if there is no repeater between you doesn't mean it won't work, a repeater (depending on height of antenna and watts output) can have a good range. For example there is a 2m repeater (K8BXQ 147.195) here in N.W. Ohio along the Ohio Turnpike (I-80, I-90) that gets used by truck drivers that come through on a regular basis, and they can get into it while still in Indiana, stay in it across 3-4 counties in N.W. Ohio (Williams, Fulton, Lucas, Ottawa). and that is mobile, with a base and a decent antenna 30-40 ft above ground the range is even better.

When I was first licensed my first radio was a 500 mW (half watt) radioshack HT that was given to me as a Christmas gift as incentinve to get off my butt and get my ticket. Sitting in my bedroom I could get into the 147.195 machine 16 miles away with out an external antenna. Granted I wasn't full quieting, and sometimes I had to move to a certain position to get it, but it worked until I got better equipment.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Obihann. Have you checked with some of the hams in your area. You don't mention that in your post. You may what to get with some of the hams in the area and see what they are using.

kc2wnp

example

example for a answer. I kc2wnp frequently talk simplex to ve2czw base to base at 103 miles as the crow flies (at least for the best estimate between google maps and mapquest. ve2czw is using a 5 element beam and i am using a vertical onmi. This is the extreme, there is a couple factors to this happening. I am at 1680 feet in elevation and ve2czw is at 1200 feet with no taller mountains between us. I believe the curve of the earth would prevent this if we were both on flat land. mother nature does play a role also. the best we have done is s5 recieve and the worst is bearly readable with squelch off. The last factor is i am putting out 60 watts and he is putting out 50. I just stumbled onto this question actually trying to research the useable range of uhf buisness band just above 70 cm and thaught i would brag a little about my best 2 meter contact. sincerely Eli.

Status
Not open for further replies.