• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BAOFENG UV-5R Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
For those interested in the UV-5R transceiver HT, you can see some test results at this Miklor site:

Baofeng Pofung

edit: I find that the UV-5R is a good HT. It hit the repeaters up to 20 miles away.

The tests were done by individuals whom I guess aren't government agencies related. None the less, amateur operators, who don't have any monetary gain for doing the tests and reporting them.
For the person interested in this radio, you will find comments highly against these radios, and some who posts that the radios are really good to great. For the price of these transceivers, you can buy one and do your own testing if you have the equipment to do so.
For the newly licensed amateur operator who may be short of cash, these radios are obtainable to get you on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands.
As always, "buyer beware" needs to be remembered.

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
For those interested in the UV-5R transceiver HT, you can see some test results at this Miklor site:

Baofeng Pofung

The tests were done by individuals whom I guess aren't government agencies related. None the less, amateur operators, who don't have any monetary gain for doing the tests and reporting them.
For the person interested in this radio, you will find comments highly against these radios, and some who posts that the radios are really good to great. For the price of these transceivers, you can buy one and do your own testing if you have the equipment to do so.
For the newly licensed amateur operator who may be short of cash, these radios are obtainable to get you on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands.
As always, "buyer beware" needs to be remembered.

Your post seems to imply negatives about the UV-5R (perhaps not your intent) while the reviews on the link are highly possible. I have both a Kenwood TH-F6 and a UV-5R. I prefer using the UV-5R and it has worked fine even in high RF areas. Many of the negative posts are people trying to justify the higher cost of the other radio(s) they bought without even having used a UV-5R.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
No, my post is leaning toward positive for the UV-5R. I have two of them and they work great.
My "buyer beware" is toward those that want to post all the bad things they think could be wrong with this model. That's why I put it in quote marks.

edit: I added an extra sentence to clarify my post as being more toward positive.

Last edited:

prcguy

I have a couple of UV-5Rs along with cheap Chinese hand helds from Wouxun, Anytone and others. I find some places in my town where I can hear fairly strong 2m simplex stations on a Yaesu and Anytone hand held that don't exist on the UV-5R in the same location with the same type antenna. The UV-5R is very susceptible to strong out of band interference that will blitz its receiver where the other hand helds work fine under the same conditions.

If I test all the radios on a service monitor the UV-5R comes out as sensitive or more than the others, but simple bench test specs with a single signal sent to the receiver mean nothing in the real world. I still think the UV-5R series is a great radio for its price but in the end you get what you pay for. If your life depends on a radio performing every time in every place you would not want to rely on a UV-5R.

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
My experience with the less expensive Chinese handhelds is similar to prcguy. The receivers in these rigs appear to be very sensitive (perhaps too sensitive) and just about as selective as a barn door, meaning that they are easily overloaded by nearly any RF in the neighborhood. Perhaps not a deal-breaker for some - especially considering the cost.
Actually, I own several of these rigs and they can be fun to play with, but I wouldn't use them in situations where they needed to provide reliable comms. I also have a problem with the lack of certain features and the user interface with most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.