BCD325P2 or BCD436HP as my 2nd. Scanner Purchase in 45 years?

AudioPhool

I originally posted the following, in my State's (Indiana's) Forum to obtain general beginner information about a digital scanner purchase: Pre-Purchase Help for Northern Johnson County (Bargersville Locale)

Since then, I've whittled my purchase decision down to the: BCD325P2 or BCD436HP?

Never having seen or handled a digital trunk scanner I'm trying to ascertain which scanner based on programming ease, would be better for me to determine if the 436 is worth the extra $100? From the following forum post statement, it would seem that the 436 is easier (verses the 325) to program: the “436 is more user-friendly--most programming is copy and paste from the database in Sentinel”. But on the flip side, another user said: “I have the 436 which I hate.” “I bought the 325P2 and it's awesome…much easier to program and understand.”

Same scanners, two divergent opinions. I assume that user friendliness is in the user's eyes and their familiarity with trunk scanners. So, as a rank beginner, which is it? Would the 436 be easier to program for me, than the 325, or not?

Programming ease, is one deciding factor. The other factor is battery life which appears to be better for the 436, because of the 325’s/2-batteries vs the 436’s/3-batteries?

Another deciding point may be the 436's easier on-the-road programming because of the 325's memory limitations. But because my traveling will be minimal, to non-existent, the ease of the 436's on-the-road programming, will probably be a neutral for me. However, with the 436, if I ever needed to program it on the fly, I would have it.

And then there is the ~$100 greater price of the 436? Is the 436's supposed programming ease and longer battery life, worth the greater cost? If programming is that much easier for a beginner like me on the 436, then the extra expense may be worthwhile. Are there other pros and cons about the two scanners that I’ve missed? How about functionality? Is one scanner’s screen easier to see and read than the other? Are button usage sequences easier to learn and to perform on one or the other? To view the question another way, if the two scanners were the same price, which one would you choose and why?

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
The Difference Between the two scanners is as follows; The 436 has on-the-fly programming without using a computer* (Using an internal SD card). The 325p2 does not support this (computer needed or manual programming). Three batteries last longer than 2. Just a FYI charge batteries externally. Spare batteries are nice. Both scanners are good at receiving VHF, better than the SDS100. When traveling, especially from city to city, the 436 is better with GPS Kit. I do like the compactness of the 325p2. One recommend accessory is dedicated antenna for certain frequencies.
I hope this makes your decision fast.

* computer is better with sentinel (free) running.

wtp

do you travel a lot, like really a lot and far then the 436 would be the one.
if you go two counties away as a day trip the 325 would be better.
i used to travel the U.S. and the 436 would have been my pick if it came out 20 years age.
but i stay local and like my 325.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I originally posted the following, in my State's (Indiana's) Forum to obtain general beginner information about a digital scanner purchase: Pre-Purchase Help for Northern Johnson County (Bargersville Locale)

Since then, I've whittled my purchase decision down to the: BCD325P2 or BCD436HP?

Never having seen or handled a digital trunk scanner I'm trying to ascertain which scanner based on programming ease, would be better for me to determine if the 436 is worth the extra $100? From the following forum post statement, it would seem that the 436 is easier (verses the 325) to program: the “436 is more user-friendly--most programming is copy and paste from the database in Sentinel”. But on the flip side, another user said: “I have the 436 which I hate.” “I bought the 325P2 and it's awesome…much easier to program and understand.”

Same scanners, two divergent opinions. I assume that user friendliness is in the user's eyes and their familiarity with trunk scanners. So, as a rank beginner, which is it? Would the 436 be easier to program for me, than the 325, or not?

Programming ease, is one deciding factor. The other factor is battery life which appears to be better for the 436, because of the 325’s/2-batteries vs the 436’s/3-batteries?

Another deciding point may be the 436's easier on-the-road programming because of the 325's memory limitations. But because my traveling will be minimal, to non-existent, the ease of the 436's on-the-road programming, will probably be a neutral for me. However, with the 436, if I ever needed to program it on the fly, I would have it.

And then there is the ~$100 greater price of the 436? Is the 436's supposed programming ease and longer battery life, worth the greater cost? If programming is that much easier for a beginner like me on the 436, then the extra expense may be worthwhile. Are there other pros and cons about the two scanners that I’ve missed? How about functionality? Is one scanner’s screen easier to see and read than the other? Are button usage sequences easier to learn and to perform on one or the other? To view the question another way, if the two scanners were the same price, which one would you choose and why?
Looking at your original thread, I see mentions that some of the trunked system sites in your area of interest are simulcast. If that is the case, then your best choice would be the SDS100.

Of the two scanners you mentioned, the 325P2 & 436HP, the 325P2 is worse, dealing with simulcast, than the 436HP. (I have both, as well an SDS100.) The display on the 436HP is larger, with much more detail than you have on the 325P2. In your other thread, you mention these software options for the 325P2:
  • FreeSCAN
  • ProScan
  • Butel ARC-XT (Basic & Pro)
For the 436HP, you can use:

Sentinel, which is a free download from Uniden, is needed to maintain the database on the scanner's memory card. (You can download Sentinel, and take a "test drive" before you receive (or even order) your scanner.)
ProScan
ARC536

ProScan is $50, and covers either of these models, as well as a number of other Uniden models. It includes the ability for virtual control as well as logging. The Basic version of the ARC programs, ~$40, is for programming only. If you want virtual control and logging, you need to step up to the "Pro" version, which is in the $70 range. All versions of the ARC software, as well as ProScan, support importing systems & programming data from the main database here on RadioReference. You already show to be a Premium Subscriber, which is a requirement for the importing process. You do not need to maintain Premium status to use Sentinel, but it does not have the selected import capabilities of the ProScan & the ARC software.

As already mentioned, with the database on the 436HP's memory card, you can connect a GPS and let the scanner receive systems in range of your location as you drive. (You can use a GPS with the 325P2, but you, first, most program all of the systems along your path.)

Battery life (run time) is influenced both by the amount of activity you receive, as well as by your volume setting. But the 436HP, with 3 batteries, runs quite a bit longer than the 2 battery 325P2.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I don't have a 436, but I do have a 325P2.

I've been generally happy with it. Sensitivity is all around good. I really don't like the multifunctions assigned to keys (having to press "FUNCTION" + a numeric key). That's pretty much a fact of life for all the new radios. I also don't care for the logic level off/on switch (I like a real off/on switch). The two AA cell battery capacity is borderline adequate, but three cells would have been better. When I have it in the car, I just run it off a 5vdc adapter which also keeps the batteries fully charged.

I use ProScan for programming, which I strongly recommend.

I've never tried linking the radio with a GPS, so I can't comment on that feature. It has enough channel capacity that I just program a bank for the area I need.

I've found the stock antenna has been adequate for my needs. I use an external antenna when it's in the car.

AudioPhool

Great replies, Thanks!

Simulcasting? There is some. However, I'm pushing my budget to get to the 436, let alone the 325. So, the SDS100/200 are out of the question.

If I opt for the 436, test driving Sentinel even before getting the receiver, makes sense. Plus, I'm favoring ProScan simply from what I've read and seen on YouTube.

Overall, whether I will use all of the 436's features vs the 325, the 436 seems like a more prudent decision in the long run, even with its ~$100 additional cost.

BTW, I opted for RR Premium. Heck, the information I already received via RR, has more than paid-back the cost.

Lastly, I appreciate all of the information provided on the RR forum and especially those who have responded...Cheers to all!!!

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
Great replies, Thanks!

Simulcasting? There is some. However, I'm pushing my budget to get to the 436, let alone the 325. So, the SDS100/200 are out of the question.

If I opt for the 436, test driving Sentinel even before getting the receiver, makes sense. Plus, I'm favoring ProScan simply from what I've read and seen on YouTube.

Overall, whether I will use all of the 436's features vs the 325, the 436 seems like a more prudent decision in the long run, even with its ~$100 additional cost.

BTW, I opted for RR Premium. Heck, the information I already received via RR, has more than paid-back the cost.

Lastly, I appreciate all of the information provided on the RR forum and especially those who have responded...Cheers to all!!!
I do suggest Sentinel for only one reason. Updating internal Database (SD Card) and Possible firmware updates. I do use all three softwares. Butel , Proscan, and Sentinel.

AudioPhool

Good to know on the Sentinel reasoning "hunterca". Even more of a personal preference decision the 325/426 scanner decision is, it would seem that the Proscan vs Butel decision is even more a personal preference one. But I believe both have free trial periods. Which should help in making the final purchase decision.

AudioPhool

As an aside, I almost pulled the trigger on a used 436 "Sold by Amazon", "shipped by the Amazon Warehouse", because it was close in price to a new 325. However, I noticed that when selecting it, the free 30-day returns and also the ubiquitous extended insurance offers disappeared for the receiver, which were formerly there for the new receiver. To me, if aftermarket insurance wasn't available, this meant that there would be no Uniden 12-mo. Warranty. Under those circumstances I removed the 436 from my cart.

Reading Amazon's Return policy, it looks like a radio could be returned following a Warehouse sale, as long as it was within 30-days. However, my guess is that the return would be on the customer's dime and again,the Uniden Warranty may not be enforceable. Does anyone know exactly how a sale like that works?

AudioPhool

Speaking of Amazon, Prime Day begins the 11th. Previously, have there been any Uniden digital scanner discounts then? Yeah, probably wishful thinking on my part.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Amazon, Prime Day begins the 11th. Previously, have there been any Uniden digital scanner discounts then? Yeah, probably wishful thinking on my part.
I don’t recall any, but you might get lucky. Several of the online vendors, such as Bearcat Warehouse, sell on Amazon Marketplace. (Bearcat Whse uses “Police Scanner Outlet” as their marketplace name.)

You can set up Keepa (an extension for browsers such as Firefox), and set a target price at some point under the current listings on Amazon. That way, if there is a lower price, you’ll get a notification beforehand. I think you have the same options with CamelCamelCamel, but I’ve always used Keepa.

AudioPhool

The other day, I noticed a mention on the forum about CamelCamelCamel. I hadn't heard of it before then. So, thanks for the Keepa mention. I will check it out.

BTW, on the subject of Prime, but off the sujbect of scanners, I purchased an EcoFlow, River 2 Pro battery power supply from Amazon in a pre-Prime sale. My research suggests that The EcoFlow units are some of the best and now they're discounted as much as I've seen. I liked the River Pro 2, for various reasons (e.g. output, price weight). But I particularly liked that it could act as an EPS (Emergency Power Supply). When connected to the A/C, with something else plugged into it (e.g. a Router). When the power goes out, it kicks-in within 30ms, to power those item(s). That's not quite an uninterruptible power supply which is 5ms or less. But it suits my needs and it has ~800-watts output and recharges in an hour. Additionally, for EcoFlow products, I found these coupons adding another 8% off (EF23PD8OFF1 or EF23PD8OFF2); from here: (EcoFlow Official Club). With 8% off and our 5% cash-back Amazon credit card, slight reductions mount up.

AudioPhool

RE. Keppa, I'm wary of browser extensions and add-ons such as this, and in general. This is because if something is free -- more than likely -- we are the product. So, I always try to check for issues and vulnerabilities before jumping onboard. As such, I found this from 2021: (Abusing Keepa Price Tracker to track users on Amazon pages) Whether the vulnerabilities specified are true, accurate and if true, the vulnerabilities have been closed, I don't know. But just to be on the safe side, I think I will shy away from add-ons such as Keppa and CamelCamelCamel for now.

Chris0516

Great replies, Thanks!

I have both, the 436HP, and the 325p2. I have had the 325p2, since 2016. I got the 436HP as a Christmas present in 2022. I had Freescan in 2016. I bought Proscan that year and won't use anything else. Except for Sentinel to update the 436HP Firmware. I would like to sell my 325p2 so I can put the proceeds toward an SDS100. Because of it being better for simulcast systems. But I am wary of the recurring solder issue. So, I will wait.

AudioPhool

I have both, the 436HP, and the 325p2. I have had the 325p2, since 2016. I got the 436HP as a Christmas present in 2022. I had Freescan in 2016. I bought Proscan that year and won't use anything else. Except for Sentinel to update the 436HP Firmware. I would like to sell my 325p2 so I can put the proceeds toward an SDS100. Because of it being better for simulcast systems. But I am wary of the recurring solder issue. So, I will wait.
Well....gang, with the assistance of RadioReference in general and all the posters in this thread and in all the other threads, I just ordered a new 436HP and its ETA is this Monday, 7/10! :)

Depending upon Chris0516's above reasons for potentially selling his 325p2, but ostensibly keeping the 436HP, his decision bodes well for my decision to go with the 436HP. However, sharing programming between the 436HP & a potential future SDS100, may have been the primary reasoning for that decision. Nevertheless, I had ordered the 436HP before reading the post, so it did nothing but reinforce my decision -- time will tell however. Because the performance of both the 325p2 and the 436HP seem to be so similar, the differences as enumerated in this thread, pushed me to anti-up that additional C-note for the 436HP.

I did install and load Sentinal just to get a peek at it. However, the install balked advising that .Net Framework 2.0 was required. OK, huh? I knew .Net Framework came installed on my Win11 laptop, so I wondered why Sentinal was asking for .Net Framework 2? And again, RR to my rescue via this post: "Easy fix for Sentinel software issue with .NET framework on Windows 11".

As many have suggested, I'm definitely going to try Proscan. My guess is that it will be a keeper. Also, I've perused many of the YouTube videos concerning the 436HP and I intend to more intently view several, now that a scanner is en route. If anyone has a particularly favorite YouTube video relative to using Proscan, or using and programming the 436HP, those recommendations would be appreciated!

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to my new "toy" and learning how to program it. Cheers to all!!! -Mike

Chris0516

@AudioPhool Simulcast systems, and the 325p2 don't like eachother. At least that is my experience. I can get simulcast with my 436HP, but. I still get simulcast distortion. It is far less than what would happen if I tried to use the 325p2 on a simulcast system. The 325p2 is a great digital scanner, except. When simulcasting has become part of a sytem.

AudioPhool

@AudioPhool Simulcast systems, and the 325p2 don't like eachother. At least that is my experience. I can get simulcast with my 436HP, but. I still get simulcast distortion. It is far less than what would happen if I tried to use the 325p2 on a simulcast system. The 325p2 is a great digital scanner, except. When simulcasting has become part of a sytem.
Your experience provides another plus for my decision to go with the 436HP.

I'm presently wading thought videos and posts trying to get a better lay of the land regarding programming. I'm probably fretting over more than I should. But not only do I have the hardware (receiver) to learn, but I also have to determine what I like to listen to/when. Living in a doughnut county (Johnson) of Indianapolis (Marion), I have more than a few listening options, so that further complicates matters.

Hence, I have some upfront druthers of what I may like to listen. But until I'm more familiarized with hearing what's around me, I can't make a good determination of how I may actually want to set the radio up. Thus, I'm currently listening to Broadcastify to get my feet wet, so to speak.

My biggest concern is putting a lot of time into setting things up and then needing to discard it all, by resetting the 436HP and starting again from scratch.

Thus, it would seem that my best approach would be to automatically pull-in (via Sentinel or my zip) more, rather than less. I've seen some say the opposite, but they may not have my utter lack of what I may favor listening to. After I quickly and automatically pull-in what's around me, I figure I could play around with it, to determine what I like, what I don't, in order understand what I may eventually want to listen to. Once that's determined, I would have a better organizational plan and then I could reset and begin anew.

If you were coming at the process like I am, by not having a clue what county's and departments (Emergency Ops, Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Police, Public Works et al) you may end up wanting to listen to, does my thinking make any sense? Or, am I going about it backas_wards?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well....gang, with the assistance of RadioReference in general and all the posters in this thread and in all the other threads, I just ordered a new 436HP and its ETA is this Monday, 7/10! :)

Depending upon Chris0516's above reasons for potentially selling his 325p2, but ostensibly keeping the 436HP, his decision bodes well for my decision to go with the 436HP. However, sharing programming between the 436HP & a potential future SDS100, may have been the primary reasoning for that decision. Nevertheless, I had ordered the 436HP before reading the post, so it did nothing but reinforce my decision -- time will tell however. Because the performance of both the 325p2 and the 436HP seem to be so similar, the differences as enumerated in this thread, pushed me to anti-up that additional C-note for the 436HP.

I did install and load Sentinal just to get a peek at it. However, the install balked advising that .Net Framework 2.0 was required. OK, huh? I knew .Net Framework came installed on my Win11 laptop, so I wondered why Sentinal was asking for .Net Framework 2? And again, RR to my rescue via this post: "Easy fix for Sentinel software issue with .NET framework on Windows 11".

As many have suggested, I'm definitely going to try Proscan. My guess is that it will be a keeper. Also, I've perused many of the YouTube videos concerning the 436HP and I intend to more intently view several, now that a scanner is en route. If anyone has a particularly favorite YouTube video relative to using Proscan, or using and programming the 436HP, those recommendations would be appreciated!

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to my new "toy" and learning how to program it. Cheers to all!!! -Mike
The 325P2 is a great, grab & go, "hand friendly" size scanner. The small size makes it easier to stick in a pocket when you head out.

Unfortunately, it is not good at all with simulcast systems, with the exception of those who "won the simulcast location" lottery, and their residence (or other place of monitoring) is located in a specific place where the scanner will work. I'm also disappointed in the run time of the two battery configuration. It cannot charge the batteries and be scanning systems at the same time. (The 436HP, as well, cannot charge it's batteries at the same time as it is scanning systems.)

I know that some people prefer the on-screen interface of the ARC programs. If that's what they prefer, more power to them. One of my issues with the ARC software is that a given version works on only a small number of scanners: ARC-XT works for the 325P2 & 996P2, as well as the 396XT, 996XT, and BCT15X. But the 'basic' version, which does programming only, is about $40. If you also want logging & virtual control via your PC, then you have to move to the 'Pro' version, @ about $70.

ARC536 works for the 436HP, 536HP, SDS100, and SDS200. But here again, you have Basic @ $40, but you instead need the Pro version at about $70 to enable logging & virtual control.

On the other hand, ProScan, @ $50, covers all of the scanners above, plus a large number of other scanners, covered by the same version. It also includes both programming as well as logging and virtual control.

Both ProScan and the ARC software programs include free lifetime updates, and as already mentioned, both have a 30-day free trial period.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm presently wading thought videos and posts trying to get a better lay of the land regarding programming. I'm probably fretting over more than I should. But not only do I have the hardware (receiver) to learn, but I also have to determine what I like to listen to/when. Living in a doughnut county (Johnson) of Indianapolis (Marion), I have more than a few listening options, so that further complicates matters.
There's a lot of YouTube videos for programming the 436HP scanner, as well as the Wiki here, and other websites with step by step instructions, Remember that, except for the SDS series specific features (basically the filters & the ability to set a Site NAC), basic programming notes for either the 436HP & 536HP, as well as the SDS100 & SDS200 apply to all four scanners.Their Systems, Departments, Sites, & Favorites Lists structure are the same in all four models. You can load a 436HP Favorites list in any of the other three models, or one of their lists into your 436HP.

My biggest concern is putting a lot of time into setting things up and then needing to discard it all, by resetting the 436HP and starting again from scratch.
All you would need to do is simply erase the lists on your 436HP's SD card. Presuming you initially created them in Sentinel (or ProScan), they'll still be on your PC, so you can go back and make whatever changes you want, then send the edited list(s) back to the scanner. For that matter, you could make any desired changes, then, when you are ready to send the updated lists to the scanner, select the option to delete all lists in the scanner before writing the changed lists to the scanner from your software. Note that it always a good idea to keep a spare, preprogrammed, SD card for quick & easy access. A very high percentage of problem issues posted in various forum threads are cured by either replacing the card, or formatting the existing one. If you format a card, use this program. Then use the 'Clear User Data' option to set up the basic files and folders needed, then send your modified lists to the scanner.

Thus, it would seem that my best approach would be to automatically pull-in (via Sentinel or my zip) more, rather than less. I've seen some say the opposite, but they may not have my utter lack of what I may favor listening to. After I quickly and automatically pull-in what's around me, I figure I could play around with it, to determine what I like, what I don't, in order understand what I may eventually want to listen to. Once that's determined, I would have a better organizational plan and then I could reset and begin anew.

If you were coming at the process like I am, by not having a clue what county's and departments (Emergency Ops, Fire, EMS, Sheriff, Police, Public Works et al) you may end up wanting to listen to, does my thinking make any sense? Or, am I going about it backas_wards?
The Easier to Read Manual site has the steps you need. Also on that site, there is a section on planning what you do, and do not want. Also in that section are some worksheet templates that you can print & use to get a handle on how you want things set up. You might ask, in your state forum, for someone to share a sample file with you. Even if it is not specifically for your area, you can get a look at how their list is laid out. You do not have to copy exactly their method, if you want something a little different, but at least that will give you some ideas.