BCD396XT skips over weather channels in quick search & custom search??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSK

This is an older scanner however I'm curious if anyone knows why the BCD396XT appears to ignore weather channels during either a quick search or custom search?

1.) There are no frequencies locked out from my quick search or custom search (checked by holding down lockout button to clear all lockouts).
2.) My squelch is set at 2 which is the lowest it can be set without opening to static.
3.) My modulation is set to FM.
3.) If I press "hold" at just the right time during a quick search or custom search, the scanner will stop searching and hold on a weather channel (162.400, 162.475) with a strong signal (five bars) however the scanner will not stop on any weather frequency automatically while searching with either quick search or custom search; it just searches right past the weather channels without stopping.
4.) If I do a WX Scan the scanner stops normally on the local weather channels just fine.
5.) Also, the scanner is stopping on other signals with as little as 1 bar signal strength above and below the weather channels.

What gives?? Why does the scanner search right past the weather channels even though they have five bars signal strength and are not locked out however stops on other nearby frequencies with one bar of signal strength?

This is really odd behavior. I wonder if this occurs in all BCD396XT scanners or just mine?? What could possibly be the explanation for this?

Shawn

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396xt I will it to see if it does the same on mine later today when I get back home. If I remember right I think it did stop on weather frequencies, although it has been a while since I did a search.

ScannerSK

Have not had one in awhile but check and see if broadcast screen is enabled on the weather band.

"NOAA WX" is set to "On" in the broadcast screen. So, this is not the issue. It is actually searching through the weather frequencies in both quick search and custom search however just not stopping on them. I can manually press hold at just the right time during the search and the scanner will stop the search on the weather channel which has a strong signal. So, it's sampling the weather channels during quick search and custom search but just not stopping on them even though they have a strong signal strength.

mule1075

Feed Provider
"NOAA WX" is set to "On" in the broadcast screen. So, this is not the issue. It is actually searching through the weather frequencies in both quick search and custom search however just not stopping on them. I can manually press hold at just the right time during the search and the scanner will stop the search on the weather channel which has a strong signal. So, it's sampling the weather channels during quick search and custom search but just not stopping on them even though they have a strong signal strength.
If I remember correctly if set to on it will skip those it should be set to off I think. As I said it has been a long time since I had one.

neither of which stop on the weather channels for some unknown reason
Once you know the weather frequencies, why do you need to continue searching?

I'm confused. Weather broadcasts aren't that hard to find. There's only a few channels.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly if set to on it will skip those it should be set to off I think. As I said it has been a long time since I had one.
I think you are right. That drove me crazy for a while. You would think “on” means it would scan it. “Off” would bypass it. But it is opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.