• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BDA's and potential interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The price of a properly installed BDA is tens of thousands typically (especially if not everyone is on the same band),per building, and only cover (maybe) the inside. If the guy with the gun runs out the back door into the abandoned mill next door, you're still screwed. you'd almost be better off with micro radio sites. At least you know that they'd be city owned and actually maintained, and probably cover a city block worth of buildings with decent interior coverage.

You guys seem to be missing the point of a BDA. It's not supposed to cover a large area, or replace an entire site. It's just supposed to make the signal usable in a limited area where it's not cost effective to build an entire site.

I know of large jail and prison facilities, for example, where there is ample outdoor coverage from the local site, but those 24" thick 5000 lb test concrete walls in the housing areas are brutal for RF, and a BDA is absolutely necessary to get coverage inside. These are places where a few square feet of dead spot isn't going to cut it.

A properly engineered and maintained BDA is mandatory in a situation like that. They're simple, reliable, and in the grand scheme of things, quite affordable in comparison to building a full-on site just to manage inside coverage.

12dbsinad

You guys seem to be missing the point of a BDA. It's not supposed to cover a large area, or replace an entire site. It's just supposed to make the signal usable in a limited area where it's not cost effective to build an entire site.

Try telling that to the city near me that requires them as part of code, no matter what. Recently, a safe storage was built. Guess what, it needed a BDA. Guess what, the nearest site is 500 ft down the road. Plenty of coverage into a self storage outdoor strip type buildings. Those are the things I am talking about and money well spent. It's because people that sit in the seat of government haven't got a clue and the taxpayer or commercial property owner takes it in the nose.

I know of large jail and prison facilities, for example, where there is ample outdoor coverage from the local site, but those 24" thick 5000 lb test concrete walls in the housing areas are brutal for RF, and a BDA is absolutely necessary to get coverage inside. These are places where a few square feet of dead spot isn't going to cut it.

A properly engineered and maintained BDA is mandatory in a situation like that. They're simple, reliable, and in the grand scheme of things, quite affordable in comparison to building a full-on site just to manage inside coverage.

We have the same type said Jail. For the cost of a BDA, they could install (and did) it's own NXDN trunking site in the building for police/fire/ and jail admin. Since the building has it's own fiber, backhaul and connectivity is a breeze. And, it covers all the out buildings (Score!) Certainly modern technology makes adding sites fairly easy compared to 25 years ago. Most of the issue is frequencies.

Just inside the first wall of a wood frame stucco house is about 10 to 15 dB.

Was that with the metallic covered insulation fiberboard that is common / required now?
There are 2 homes going up in our neighborhood this summer (if it gets here), I was planning on testing coverage as they are built.

The NIST has done some coverage studies, I have those and some other public safety comms reports here.

https://tacticalrf.com/reports/

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Try telling that to the city near me that requires them as part of code, no matter what.

Not my problem... =) YOU get to tell them!

Sounds like the ordinance needs to be changed. An example is a customer city for the agency I work for, where a hotel was built. The requirement was that the radios needed to work, not that a BDA MUST be installed.

The city fire codes reference NFPA for radio coverage, so at a critical point in the hotel's construction, we were asked to do a survey. The building met NFPA coverage requirements throughout without a BDA, so a BDA wasn't required for the final permitting process.

It CAN be handled intelligently.

Recently, a safe storage was built. Guess what, it needed a BDA. Guess what, the nearest site is 500 ft down the road...

...people that sit in the seat of government haven't got a clue and the taxpayer or commercial property owner takes it in the nose.

Then it's incumbent upon the radio people to drag their sorry asses out away from their work benches, put on a tie, and make a presentation to the decision makers and explain how radio works, and how to use the laws of physics to their advantage.

We have the same type said Jail. For the cost of a BDA, they could install (and did) it's own NXDN trunking site...

Well, in that case it worked out. Not everyone has the same options to build out a separate site, with separate frequencies. It's a cost issue, and a spectrum issue. In many cases, even if you have the money, sometimes you simply CAN'T get the frequencies, so it's either build a simulcast site on the premises, or use a BDA. A few million dollars, vs. $75k or $100k.

And you Republicans complain that your taxes are too high. Tsk...

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Was that with the metallic covered insulation fiberboard that is common / required now?
There are 2 homes going up in our neighborhood this summer (if it gets here), I was planning on testing coverage as they are built.

The NIST has done some coverage studies, I have those and some other public safety comms reports here.

https://tacticalrf.com/reports/

Good question. That was, maybe 12-15 years ago that I made those measurements. What wasn't determined was how the RF was entering the houses. If it's primarily through the windows and a wood door, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Your link will make for some nice light bedtime reading. =)

12dbsinad

Well, in that case it worked out. Not everyone has the same options to build out a separate site, with separate frequencies. It's a cost issue, and a spectrum issue. In many cases, even if you have the money, sometimes you simply CAN'T get the frequencies, so it's either build a simulcast site on the premises, or use a BDA.

I find it more of a frequency issue. The other end as far as complexity and cost is not what it was. Plus, like I said in my post, you get added benefits of coverage not confined to the main part of the building served by the BDA.

A few million dollars, vs. $75k or $100k.

A few million dollars!? Man, you really need to look at other makers of radio systems besides Motorola and "P25"! You know, "/\/\: You can always buy better, but you'll never pay more!"

75-100K for a BDA in a jail is cheap! Have you ever actually priced one out, in a jail? And, the jail itself needs its own comm system. BDA ain't gonna solve that. So, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

And you Republicans complain that your taxes are too high. Tsk...

Yeah, you and your few million dollar easy peasy radio sites! Guess that goes along with the 8K portable radio? LOL.

I am not saying BDA's don't have there place, But today's widespread theory of it's use as a end all solution, to me, shouldn't be the case. Especially given the cost factor of each individual building. More times than none, a better solution can be had.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
.I find it more of a frequency issue.

As in not enough?

The other end as far as complexity and cost is not what it was. Plus, like I said in my post, you get added benefits of coverage not confined to the main part of the building served by the BDA.

In So. Cal, there are 46 cities of over 100,00 population. 23 million people, 8 or ten counties, depending on how you want to define things. Lots of individual systems, lots of shared systems, and a huge demand on spectrum. There just isn't any to spare. Depending on where you go, adding a site to fill in a building might require coordination with, and concurrence from, 5 other counties to get the frequencies.

That's an awful lot of expense if the coverage concern is just a building.

A few million dollars!? Man, you really need to look at other makers of radio systems besides Motorola and "P25"! You know, "/\/\: You can always buy better, but you'll never pay more!"

When's the last time you built an entire site? There's land acquisition costs, environmental impact studies, soil core studies for the tower foundation, engineering and architecture fees, materials, labor, generators and battery plants, microwave - I budget about $250K per hop for licensed microwave, the tower, grounding, utilities. It adds up. I haven't even talked to Motorola yet.

75-100K for a BDA in a jail is cheap! Have you ever actually priced one out, in a jail?

Yes. Yes, I have. $100K is probably reasonable for a county jail sized facility, at least of the size I've encountered. A state prison sized facility would be a lot more.

Try to avoid coring through 24" walls. It'll save a bundle.

And, the jail itself needs its own comm system. BDA ain't gonna solve that. So, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

Supposing one of the requirements is that the jail is on the main system so they have wide area coverage? Not unreasonable if the customer has a dozen jail facilities scattered over a 5000 square mile area, and prisoners and staff rotate around the various locations.

Yeah, you and your few million dollar easy peasy radio sites! Guess that goes along with the 8K portable radio? LOL.

Try getting into a fight with a prisoner and your radio as your only weapon. The APX will survive the fight and get you your call for help. The Harris, well, it's not such a sure thing.

Those radios take a beating. I've seen 25 year old Motorolas still on the job, retired only because they won't reband, or do encryption, or P25. I haven't ever seen a 25 year old Harris/Ericson/MACom/EFJ or whatever radio still on the job. You find those in the junk pile behind the radio shop.

I'm not Mother /\/\'s biggest fan, but the stuff they build seems to last long, and work better.

I am not saying BDA's don't have there place...

Good. They are a useful tool, but like anything that radiates, it needs to be done properly.

...But today's widespread theory of it's use as a end all solution, to me, shouldn't be the case.

But... Who's saying it's an end-all solution? I've never heard that. And I've most certainly never said it.

Especially given the cost factor of each individual building. More times than none, a better solution can be had.

See, I object to statements like that. In a case where a BDA IS the better solution, then by definition, there is no better solution. And it does happen.

But each system is unique, as is it's coverage requirements. Don't apply YOUR standards and coverage solutions to MY coverage and budget problems. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I wonder if the attenuation changes with the amount of tint in the 'smart' glass.

The 'smart glass' that makes people spend more money at airports | Daily Mail Online

I have a layover in DFW on Saturday, will head to A28 to check it out.

I doubt it. The amount of material in the glass isn't changing. The change is probably only affecting a very narrow band (visible) in the EM spectrum. I'm guessing RF won't know the difference.

They're probably starting out pretty lossy, though.

12dbsinad

As in not enough?

Depends on the band and location. Sometimes yes, it can be a challenge.

That's an awful lot of expense if the coverage concern is just a building.

Typically it isn't just 1 building, unless it's very rural. Then in 5 years, it's 2 buildings, or 3, or an expansion of the existing building. BDA's can get pretty expensive that otherwise could be solved with a localized site.

When's the last time you built an entire site?

Oh, within the last week or so. My "retirement" job is working for a turnkey comm company. We do everything but the geotech, in house. We have a construction/tower division and the communications/IT division. We use Trylon and Sabre towers&poles, and sometimes Rohn, depending on the requirements. You'd be amazed how much money you can shave, and how many bids you can win when you cut out all the middle men :).

In the case of the jail/sheriff's office building that I was referring to earlier, the "site" was pre planned into the building when it was built. It's a roof mounted Rohn 80 series with torque bars and torque arm at the top guy level to accommodate 2 6 foot dishes and the star antenna array, about 80 feet I believe plus the building height. The beauty of this is, it covers the future of the complex. Something a BDA can't do. they want to add another vehicle maint. garage? No problem. They recently added 2 drug rehab buildings on site (masonry), those are covered. Even if the site cost a bit more initially, it has saved more long term because of good planning, then going the BDA route for non-jail admin users.

There's land acquisition costs, environmental impact studies, soil core studies for the tower foundation, engineering and architecture fees, materials, labor, generators and battery plants, microwave - I budget about $250K per hop for licensed microwave, the tower, grounding, utilities. It adds up. I haven't even talked to Motorola yet.

Throwing numbers around for tower sites for a generalization is like trying to piss upwind. What are the requirements? What kind of square footage of antenna loading? Whats the climate? Ice loading? Wind? Is it easily accessed? Access to utilities? What kind of dishes, 2 ft, 4 ft, 6 ft, do they require ice shields? Free standing or guyed? Concrete or non-concrete shelter? Security? And on and on. Some can be done fairly cheap, others cost more.

With that said, I have seen many instances where city or county owned towers have cellular and the like co-located on the same site and actually generate money, if planned right with the site being overbuilt for the city or county needs.

Money spent on sites and infrastructure is of the best interest for future growth and money well spent, that's for sure. Far better than money spent on large amounts of potentially repetitive BDA's.

Yes. Yes, I have. $100K is probably reasonable for a county jail sized facility, at least of the size I've encountered. A state prison sized facility would be a lot more.

Try to avoid coring through 24" walls. It'll save a bundle.

Must be a small facility.

It's not the 24" walls, it's what's in the middle that will destroy your core drill.

Try getting into a fight with a prisoner and your radio as your only weapon. The APX will survive the fight and get you your call for help. The Harris, well, it's not such a sure thing.

Those radios take a beating. I've seen 25 year old Motorolas still on the job, retired only because they won't reband, or do encryption, or P25. I haven't ever seen a 25 year old Harris/Ericson/MACom/EFJ or whatever radio still on the job. You find those in the junk pile behind the radio shop.

I'm not Mother /\/\'s biggest fan, but the stuff they build seems to last long, and work better.

You drink too much Kool-Aid. Yes, they make good stuff.. but so don't others. This isn't 1980 anymore. They actually have competition.

Good. They are a useful tool, but like anything that radiates, it needs to be done properly.

Correct, and they are useful. I find the most use in underground parking, tunnels, bunkers, etc.

But... Who's saying it's an end-all solution? I've never heard that. And I've most certainly never said it.

Well, for one, the NFPA, or at least that is what they imply, because on paper it works! Maybe not in your area, but in many areas they are required for occupancy permit. So to put this into perspective, the building owner is required to install a BDA in the local dollar store that is brick and mortar (new construction) fire marshal inspects, tests radio, yep, good to go! These are privately owned, nothing to do with the city or town. If you think for one minute these things are "maintained", even with annual inspections, you're sorely mistaken.

You know where the rest is headed. 2 years later, the interior is re-done, walls are added, walls are taken away, someone moves critical components around, and the next thing you know, you have a oscillating BDA. With this potentially at a large scale over time.

Unless they are strictly controlled and maintained, and that includes all of them, they are a disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't have heartburn if they simply either worked, or didn't. But that is not the case.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Typically it isn't just 1 building, unless it's very rural. Then in 5 years, it's 2 buildings, or 3, or an expansion of the existing building. BDA's can get pretty expensive that otherwise could be solved with a localized site.

Yes, this is true. But supposing it's just going to be A BUILDING? Do I have to lock in YOUR preconceived notions to solve MY problems?

That is not good engineering practice.

Oh, within the last week or so...

...You'd be amazed how much money you can shave, and how many bids you can win when you cut out all the middle men :).

I work for the end user. We do it all in house. We save even MORE money. :)

In the case of the jail/sheriff's office building that I was referring to earlier, the "site" was pre planned into the building when it was built...

...Even if the site cost a bit more initially, it has saved more long term because of good planning, then going the BDA route for non-jail admin users.

That's great.

What about a situation where a site is 3 or 4 miles from the jail facility, situated in a location where it serves a greater coverage area, and it makes no sense to build yet another full site at the jail when the requirement is simply to get a bit more signal inside those 24" thick walls?

Far better than money spent on large amounts of potentially repetitive BDA's.

But who's talking about large numbers of BDA's?

Must be a small facility.

No, just designed for easy installation. No walls that needed coring, for example. Utility service tunnels behind and above housing areas.

It's not the 24" walls, it's what's in the middle that will destroy your core drill.

Yep. Which is why you plan your DAS into the building while it's still on the drawing board.

You drink too much Kool-Aid. Yes, they make good stuff.. but so don't others. This isn't 1980 anymore. They actually have competition.

What about the case where there are 10,000 subscriber units, on an existing system. You can use the existing subscribers with a flash upgrade, or replace them all with Harris for an additional $30 million.

Sometimes going with Motorola ends up being cheaper in the long run.

...the building owner is required to install a BDA in the local dollar store that is brick and mortar (new construction) fire marshal inspects, tests radio, yep, good to go!

If that's what you guys have to put up with, then no wonder you hate BDA's so much. At least where I have to deal with it, it's the coverage that matters, not the BDA.

Sounds like a poorly written law.

I wouldn't have heartburn if they simply either worked, or didn't. But that is not the case.

I don't disagree. I've made a small fortune tracking down oscillating BDA's. Funny, though. Most of them have either been Wilson home BDA's, or installed by Nextel.

mrsvensven

Well, for one, the NFPA, or at least that is what they imply, because on paper it works! Maybe not in your area, but in many areas they are required for occupancy permit. So to put this into perspective, the building owner is required to install a BDA in the local dollar store that is brick and mortar (new construction) fire marshal inspects, tests radio, yep, good to go! These are privately owned, nothing to do with the city or town. If you think for one minute these things are "maintained", even with annual inspections, you're sorely mistaken.

You know where the rest is headed. 2 years later, the interior is re-done, walls are added, walls are taken away, someone moves critical components around, and the next thing you know, you have a oscillating BDA. With this potentially at a large scale over time.

Unless they are strictly controlled and maintained, and that includes all of them, they are a disaster waiting to happen.

+1 for this. Of the last 3 interfering BDAs that I have tracked dows, 2 were turned on before construction was complete and were feeding back because the gain was set at factory default (and the local FD had not signed off or granted the permit yet and in one case were not even aware of the BDA). The third was an old installation where some roof workers ripped off the antenna because it was in their way and the BDA started feeding back.

Most BDA work is being done in private buildings by the lowest bidder, outside of the control of engineers who actually know anything about RF.

All these comments comparing the cost of a BDA vs more radio sites miss the fact that the cost of the BDA is paid by the building owner and therefore costs the city nothing. Of course the city is going to require that instead of building new sites.

I still find 5 times more cheap cell boosters and knockoff Chinese amplified TV antennas than public safety BDAs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.