Before Cell Phones.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

I noticed Penn SP keep a traditional department. Nice to see then utilizing cb comms. It's also handy for them in a to advantage for them as well as public service and aide. I recall many years ago a Arizona HP had one and was communicating with truckers about a roll over. He was first on scene and it in end saved lives. Helicopter was flown in and both persons lived. It may not seem like much or happen much but any form of mutual aide communications matters in situations. Most NMSP is half and half about cb. There's a few who are into communications and also cb and ham. They do monitor as well as ham those group. MTD most have CBs but stuck to 19 listening to see if the speed traps have been broadcasted.

I've got a friend who's a PA Trooper. I'm going to have to share your comment. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

You know, the funny part is that many Troopers would be listening to CB on either 9 or 19 and would know when the truckers had them pegged, but also would share information back when it was necessary. I recall listening to Channel 19 on long road trips between home in NJ to where I was living in the Midwest and hearing the highway patrols come up to tell people about an imminent hazard. So sometimes they know when they've been pegged for a speed trap, and I guess if everybody knows they're there and the blow past them well over what they were supposed to be doing, they probably need to get written up.

In my former job, road deputies got to take their cars home. A few of them who worked the rural end of the county would keep a CB in the car, too. This was within the last 5 or 6 years, not back in the day.

TheSpaceMann said:
When hurricane Sandy came in and took out the electricity, landlines, internet and cell phone towers, CB radios were once again the only reliable communications that the general public had access to.
Do you mean our digital savior took a dump?! Noooo! The network is so resilient (unless you live in the affected area, then it sucks to be you)! I'm not a "prepper" by any means, but there's a lot to be said about "low tech." It works. Every time.

rapidcharger

Well everyone's beaten me to the punch on the more widespread use of CBs before cell phones but something I don't think anyone's mentioned yet is in the 70's CB radios were a major fad and everyday folks had them in their vehicles for a brief period. Even the first lady had a CB handle.

I have to get back to work but here's a link for more information on CB in the 70s
Citizens band radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TheSpaceMann

"Do you mean our digital savior took a dump?! Noooo! The network is so resilient (unless you live in the affected area, then it sucks to be you)! I'm not a "prepper" by any means, but there's a lot to be said about "low tech." It works. Every time."..............................................................................................................

Yeah, the funny thing about it is that we bash CB radio all the time, but If a major storm or other disruptive "event" comes in and takes out the grid, where does that leave the average Joe? In many areas, the only ones talking during Sandy were the hams and the truckers with their CB radios and mobile whips! Turns out that a lowly $30 CB radio and a $15 magnetic mount antenna, could actually mean the difference between life and death.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Well everyone's beaten me to the punch on the more widespread use of CBs before cell phones but something I don't think anyone's mentioned yet is in the 70's CB radios were a major fad and everyday folks had them in their vehicles for a brief period.

I remember the talk of the neighborhood being the guy with the fancy GM car with a factory installed AM/FM/CB radio. Must have been some sort of AC Delco.

I remember the talk of the neighborhood being the guy with the fancy GM car with a factory installed AM/FM/CB radio. Must have been some sort of AC Delco.

I had a 1976 Blazer with an in-dash CB. It was an after-market Motorola. I took the radio out before I sold the truck and still have it in a bin in the garage, (the pic is someone else's). There was a pigtail that came out the back to plug the mic into.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.