Besides WSP Dist. 7 Everett, how many state patrol districts are still transmitting on CONVENTIONAL systems?

John98208

Premium Subscriber
Evidently my Uniden BCD996XT and BCD396XT scanners cannot receive P25 Phase II systems - which, I understand is what Washington State Patrol is primarily using. I can still receive Dist. 7 (Everett) traffic on coventional programming with the scanners. Does anyone know if there are any other WSP districts still transmitting on conventional systems?

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I wrote a big long reply under the assumption JIWN was Phase 1 and WSP 700 system was Phase 2. My memory was wrong and apparently they are both Phase 2. Either way the conventional system (WA State Patrol (Washington) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference) should work whether analog or digital. My area is only analog, so I don't know if the other systems (JIWN and WSP 700) are broadcast on conventional simultaneously. If they are I may just get rid of the other two for simplicity's sake and stick with the conventional.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
The JWIN seems to be hit and miss in some areas. Dist 5 did or still does. I stopped hearing the Boistfort site multicasting Chehalis traffic some time ago. Maybe Green MTN for Vancouver/ Kelso? If you're in Clark or Cowlitz county, Rainier Hill on CRESA will patch the Vancouver detachment traffic.

Some areas have local rx patches for trunked systems, CRESA, Spokane, SouthSound911, etc.

I haven't heard analog areas like Dist 6 on JWIN. The P25 conventional and 700 MHz system is mostly robust enough to not fiddle with the fed system.

Olympia 700 MHz seems to have dead spots, it's possible it can switch automatically to P25 VHF as it is multicasting that way but not sure. All the other 700mhz locations appear to be heard on P25 VHF . Bremerton is P25 VHF. Have not heard them on 700 in spite of database info.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard analog areas like Dist 6 on JWIN. The P25 conventional and 700 MHz system is mostly robust enough to not fiddle with the fed system.
It's rare but it does happen a few times a year. Now that there's no dispatch center locally, if one of the other dispatch centers are low staffed they'll patch Okanogan and Chelan/Douglas together, and apparently that makes it come over the JIWN. I heard a sergeant say "why are you simulcasting? low staff?" and the dispatcher said "yes". I don't know if that was the exact terminology but something along those lines, and it was digital over JIWN.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I just always monitor JIWN, WSP and conventional. Yeah it's best to have a Phase II capable receiver.

tmfok7

All of them still have their conventional VHF systems in place. Okanogan is still primarily analog and I believe Wenatchee is also, however, they have added a P25 (Phase 1) capability to their VHF system. Kennewick, Lind/Steptoe (west and south of Spokane) and Colville are P25 simplex. Pend O'Reille County troopers work off of State Common (155.970). They have a repeater on that frequency on Kalispell Peak, which is analog.

I used to hear them a fair amount on JWIN, but that seems to have subsided. It was mostly the Colville and Republic (Ferry County) troopers that showed up on there but, I haven't heard them for quite a while.

The Spokane troopers are primarily on the Spokane Co TRS and it is interfaced to their VHF system. About 99% of the troopers operate on the County TRS. You can tell, because their RID's show up on whichever system they are on. They have a Car to Car TG on the county system also. You never hear any car to car traffic on any of the VHF freqs, unless the Air unit is working in the area.