Best Portable Device for a specific usage

An7i21

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I have Trx-1e and I tried to scan and capture this system:
Israel National Police and Fire Trunking System, Various, Israel , It's also a multicast.

From reading in this forum I learned that it's not an easy task to hunt for Control Channels for this system using my Trx-1
People for example say Uniden is superior in this. Can someone recommend the best portable devices for my target?
Also, a better antenna from the one that comes with the device.

P.S, I did try to import the system and sites from the DB but all sites aren't close to me so I need to hunt for CC closer to me if it make sense.

Tanks!

asaf2000

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I have Trx-1e and I tried to scan and capture this system:
Israel National Police and Fire Trunking System, Various, Israel , It's also a multicast.

From reading in this forum I learned that it's not an easy task to hunt for Control Channels for this system using my Trx-1
People for example say Uniden is superior in this. Can someone recommend the best portable devices for my target?
Also, a better antenna from the one that comes with the device.

P.S, I did try to import the system and sites from the DB but all sites aren't close to me so I need to hunt for CC closer to me if it make sense.

Tanks!

This system is not simulcast.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Why is it hard to search for control channels when they're all right there listed in big bold red numbers? I might be wrong but the TRX should trunk track a phase 2 system fine, I think I've read it has issues with DMR and NXDN?

asaf2000

Premium Subscriber
Why is it hard to search for control channels when they're all right there listed in big bold red numbers? I might be wrong but the TRX should trunk track a phase 2 system fine, I think I've read it has issues with DMR and NXDN?

This system has more then 200 sites nationwide. The RR database has just about 20 of them, mostly from the north of the country.

CanesFan95

Looking at that system, I'm seriously be surprised there isn't more encryption. The information on RR is only as good as what people submit. I have a feeling there's a lot more to that system, no fault of RR (only 6 talk groups in all of Israel?). I would want to (somehow) do more research before spending any money, in case it's encrypted. If it's multicast and not simulcast, then there's no reason why a TRX-1 shouldn't be able to lock onto a control channel and then you can figure out how much (if any) encryption there is).

But you'd have to know all the CC's which may be incomplete in the RR database. There are freewares you can run with an inexpensive SDR dongle to get a complete live view of a P25 system on your computer and all it's control channels. For an antenna, look into something mobile on 800 MHz that has gain and mount it on a good ground plane. There's a reputable seller called Antenna Farm that will have a lot to choose from, including the coax, connectors, mounts, and adapters you'll need to hook it all up.

a417

There's a reputable seller called Antenna Farm that will have a lot to choose from, including the coax, connectors, mounts, and adapters you'll need to hook it all up.
not right now there's not.
af.png

couple of weeks ago it was closing permanently, this is a very recent change.

noamlivne

Looking at that system, I'm seriously be surprised there isn't more encryption. The information on RR is only as good as what people submit. I have a feeling there's a lot more to that system, no fault of RR (only 6 talk groups in all of Israel?). I would want to (somehow) do more research before spending any money, in case it's encrypted. If it's multicast and not simulcast, then there's no reason why a TRX-1 shouldn't be able to lock onto a control channel and then you can figure out how much (if any) encryption there is).

But you'd have to know all the CC's which may be incomplete in the RR database. There are freewares you can run with an inexpensive SDR dongle to get a complete live view of a P25 system on your computer and all it's control channels. For an antenna, look into something mobile on 800 MHz that has gain and mount it on a good ground plane. There's a reputable seller called Antenna Farm that will have a lot to choose from, including the coax, connectors, mounts, and adapters you'll need to hook it all up.
IMHO, finding Control Channels with a dongle is super easy. I do not have too much experience with scanners, but with 436 it is possible, though not as easy.
Regarding this specific system. It is the only system we got.
So divulging too much information about it might "wake up the dead" and it will become totally encrypted (now it is less than 50% encrypted), or other bad things can happen (especially to whomever contributed the data).
Maybe I am too paranoid, but sometimes it is better be safe than sorry - and whoever wants to know about the system will have to find out about it by himself, without data from RR.