Best scanner for aircraft only

I don't want to break any rules and cross post. I hope it's okay to start in this group. If this would be better in an equipment group I'd appreciate it if the moderator would guide me.

Due to the large number of fires down here in Riverside County with Cal Fire and Forest Service, I would like to choose a dedicated scanner that does well on the aircraft band but of course also does well on VHF High. A ham I know told me that an older scanner might be good except for the Bearcat 780 that he said has "low audio recovery?" Is there an older radio that excels on the aircraft band or is there a current scanner like the BCT 15X? I like the Unidens. I've noticed these older scanners are kind of pricey on eBay for used ones like the owners are trying to get what they paid for them. I'm not going to spend $300 on an older technology radio when I can spend $50 more and get a 996.

I was further told that a discone antenna would be good for this but I don't know one antenna from another. Well that's not completely true but I don't know about a discone. I am especially interested in hearing the attack helicopters.

I'm dealing with the wife factor now and she may leave me for the Milkman if I don't watch it. I don't want to pop for another 996P2 if a $150 radio will do what I'd like.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I would look to more modern scanners as dispatchkeek has said although I have several 780s myself and I find them to be very good on both civil and military aviation. For base the BCT15X has quite the fan club. For portable, the BCT-125, is quite good and affordable. Both have the ability to hold a lot of frequencies (500?) and label each memory.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I also own a few BC125ATs. They are *almost* as good as the BCT15X. I notice my 125s struggle a bit more with squelch on distant signals and the missing chunk of 380-400 Mhz can be a bummer sometimes when listening to Military Air.

When I was shopping for what eventually became my BCT15X, I considered the BC780XLT as well. Prices were the same or more for a much older scanner. I get that the 780s have a fan club as well, but even the newest 780s are easily 20 years old. For the same price or slightly less, the BCT15X seemed like a much better value.

If you are looking to go way cheap, word on the street is that the BC365CRS is also a decent performer. You lose PC interface and alpha tags though.

To be clear I am not looking for a handheld scanner. I want to base/mobile only.

It doesn't look like the BCT 15x will work. It might for the aircraft band but not VHF High. Cal Fire for example has CDF Tac1 (and others) which is 151.2575. According to the user's manual in this frequency range it's 5 khz channel spacing only. If I'm not mistaken that's a 12.5 khz channel spacing. Am I missing something?

From the Uniden website:
108.0000-136.9916AM8.33Aircraft Band
150.8000-161.9950NFM5VHF High Band
162.0000-173.9875NFM12.5Federal Government

Has the airband gone to 8.33 khz channel spacing? I haven't flown in years (heart and vision issues) but back when I did as I recall they were 25 khz spaced. Do these newer radios round?

Phew. I asked a question and end up getting myself confused.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
Has the airband gone to 8.33 khz channel spacing? I haven't flown in years (heart and vision issues) but back when I did as I recall they were 25 khz spaced.
In North America, no it's still 12.5 kHz. I don't know when or if 8.33 kHz will come to North America but right now there's not talk about it

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BC125AT is a good choice for the cost. The IC-Q6 is also good, but the lack of a full keypad makes it less user friendly.

Didn't you mean 25 khz? 833radio.com reports 25 khz in the US. And what about the Cal Fire tac channels and San Bernardino County Fire tac channels? Based on the Uniden the website that I copied and pasted from in the frequency range for both of these it's 5 khz when they are using would appear to be 12.5 khz.

Icanhearit

I also own a few BC125ATs. They are *almost* as good as the BCT15X.
Abosulutely agree here, BCT15X shines above BC125AT (BSD435HP and SDS100 for this ranking on airband), so I brought 2nd BCT15X for both rooms. The only thing I have complaint about BCT15X is when listening via earphone (in bed), it has constant scanning noise not heard from speaker. And BC127AT is quiet via ear jack. all 3 BCT15X units has the same scanner noise from ear jack (3 because I returned my 1st BCT15X purchase due to this noise, only to find the next 2 purchase from different production year being the same).

BTW I found my SDS100, when listening DMR, has similar noise from earphone jack, but not when listening P25 or for this thread, the air band.

I have heard those on various audio feeds here on broadcastify. I'm told it's the computer clock in the scanner this bleeding through to the audio. I don't know if it's because the person feeding it is using the your phone output as compared to I assume it has a record out. I use Gordon Edwards application and I can use the EQ and normally filter that computer clock sound-ish thing out.

I'm still left hanging on the frequency thing. The unit in Manuel says that on Aviation it's 8.33 khz but yet in the United States the channel is 25khz. I showed other examples as well such as up in the 151 to 160 range where it says the channel's facing is 5 khz but Cal Fire and San Bernardino County Fire have tactical channels that are 12.5 khz. Does the 15x round the numbers? Or if you're using programming software can you override with the scanner is using is the standard spacing?

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for a base station scanner that receives both civilian and military aircraft, I bigly recommend the Uniden BC365CRS.

Scan125

Thank you. I am interested in a base/mobile only.
Well I know people use the BC125AT, BC75XLT and SR30C as base / mobile / handheld. For base and programming you can use my Scan125 Control Program.

Scan125 Control Program

Only down side is that you need a PC with Windows but after that you have full control, logging, direct tuning (as opposed to scanning), audio recording, and loads more. The program is Free/Charity/Careware so if you do use it and like it then a Donation to the DEBRA charity would be appreciated.

For the 75XLT and SR30C (nobody has mentioned them yet) there is the Scan75 Control Program.

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Well I know people use the BC125AT, BC75XLT and SR30C as base / mobile / handheld. For base and programming you can use my Scan125 Control Program.

Scan125 Control Program

Only down side is that you need a PC with Windows but after that you have full control, logging, direct tuning (as opposed to scanning), audio recording, and loads more. The program is Free/Charity/Careware so if you do use it and like it then a Donation to the DEBRA charity would be appreciated.

For the 75XLT and SR30C (nobody has mentioned them yet) there is the Scan75 Control Program.
I'm going to offer my kudos to Scan125 here. I have two BC125ATs in my "stable." Prior to picking up my BCT15X for milair, I had a BC125AT running 24x7 connected to Scan125 for logging and recording. It was a solid setup, and did very well for the BC125AT price point and Scan125's solid software.

EJB

20 + year membership
Best scanner I have ever had to listen to distance air comms, tower and aircraft for long distances is my SDS100. I'm talking from Hamilton Ontario to close to Detroit, up to Wiarton, anywhere from 150-250 miles with a Larson quarter wave antenna on my balcony.

In my 45 years of monitoring I have never heard comms this far this distance.

I have trouble hearing ATC work with local (15-50 miles) with any other scanner now and in the past