• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BKR 9000 Programming & Cloning Issues

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
Just received a new BKR 9000 (fully loaded) a few days ago and I am having some problems. I am using the current RES 5.8.30 and have tried the previous two software versions as well.

- Radio will not receive a clone from BKR 5000, KNG2, KNG P800, DPHx or EPU series radios. Settings in RES are correct for accepting clones. Cables are newer and I have never had issues with them before. Radio displays "Source Clone Error"
- When creating the initial code plug, some channel labels and fregs. would change erratically after writing to the radio. I have seen this before, but in older BK radio editing software.
- Minimum and Maximum volume settings are not working. No matter what I set them to the speaker gets really loud.
- Radio will sound the Volume Adjustment Tone sometimes when I am not even adjusting the volume on the knob.
- When using the Home Channel feature on a programmable button, the radio will go to the designated home channel but a second press will take it out of the current zone and always goes to Channel 1, Zone 1. Not a huge issue, I just moved the main zone we use to zone 1 and set the Home Channel to the last channel (our main TAC 1 channel) so it goes to our main Primary Operations channel which is now Channel 1, Zone 1. I really love the Auto Scan feature.

On a side note, I am not really a fan of the Hero Armor on the radio, it sticks when pulling it out of the pocket or the belt clip and I am worried that over time it will degrade and become gooey and sticky to the touch like I have seen on some tool handles I have on older tools. The belt clip/holster is also a pain in the butt to remove from the radio with that little tab at the top and no where to really get a good single-hand grip on it to release. The RSM's swivel clip could be improved as well, like maybe a bigger clip and a folding ring like you see on some of the Motorolas.

I have reached out to my radio dealer and they advised that they would reach out to BK. Waiting to hear back from them, just thought I ask around the forums as well.

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
I went back in to RES and through some more trial and error got the radio volume adjusted to were it is just right. In Global - Common - Voice / Mic Preferences I adjusted the Minimum Volume setting to "No Minimum Limit" and the Maximum Volume setting to " Quiet". Radio volume sounds just right now, not too low just past the detent and not too loud at max rotation of the volume knob. Still having issues with cloning, voice announcement and the other issues, but my radio dealer and BK are working on it.

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
Got my cloning issues sorted out somewhat. Added a jumper between P2 and PIN 11 on my BKR0701 for the GPIO modification (all my BKR cables and plugs are version 1's), thanks to radionerd on YouTube by the way, and now I can clone to just about everything I have with the BKR0701 / KAA0701, except my EPU for some reason.
Will I need to do the same modification to my BKR0710 and both ends of my BKR0700? I have not had an issue with read/write in RES on the BKR9000 while using the BKR0710, version 1 plug.

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
I too have a version 1 701 adapter for the Medusa cable. I also have the 710 adapter and the 700 cable. While out on assignment this summer I used both the 710 adapter and the 700 cable without any issues, while I did have problems hooking the radios with my unmodified 701 adapter. I believe it would be safe to say that you don't have to modify the 710 adapter nor the 700 cable.

Onelick

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
I too have a version 1 701 adapter for the Medusa cable. I also have the 710 adapter and the 700 cable. While out on assignment this summer I used both the 710 adapter and the 700 cable without any issues, while I did have problems hooking the radios with my unmodified 701 adapter. I believe it would be safe to say that you don't have to modify the 710 adapter nor the 700 cable.

Onelick
I was able to clone BKR5000 to BKR5000 with the 0700 cloning cable on assignments this summer but I have not been able to clone from my 5000 to the 9000 with it.

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
I would not think you could clone different models of radios.
With Bendix/Kings you can, that is one of there best selling points. They are designed to be cloneable to other BK radios with some exceptions of course. I can clone a 25 year old radio to a brand new one if I wanted to. You just have to have the right cloning cable.

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming that you checked that zone in RES to make sure that it will accept the incoming clone? that's the only thing I can think of why it won't take a clone from the 5000. someone like Rick might have a better solution.

Onelick
That was the first thing I checked. I have seen that too many times where other agencies don't have the zones setup properly to accept an incoming clone on their radios.

radionerd1

Got my cloning issues sorted out somewhat. Added a jumper between P2 and PIN 11 on my BKR0701 for the GPIO modification (all my BKR cables and plugs are version 1's), thanks to radionerd on YouTube by the way, and now I can clone to just about everything I have with the BKR0701 / KAA0701, except my EPU for some reason.
Will I need to do the same modification to my BKR0710 and both ends of my BKR0700? I have not had an issue with read/write in RES on the BKR9000 while using the BKR0710, version 1 plug.
EMT_20 You're Welcome LOL

radionerd1

My trimmed down BKR9000 Dongle Rework video, this one is not as rambling, I recommend playback at 2X speed. Ever since I fell off a dozer and landed on my head;-)
BKR9000 Dongle Rework

EMT_20

Premium Subscriber
Received our second BKR9000 yesterday and modified all of my BKR series accessory dongles (all version 1 PCBs) with the GP I/O modification and I am able to clone to and from everything from the BKR9000 all the way back to the DPH, DPHx & GPH series now. Tried cloning with my EPU, EPV series with no luck. Haven't tried it with an L series or EPH Flex Mode radio yet, can't find my old EPH handheld. Was able to clone to a DMH the other day in the brush truck but I can't remember how to clone from a DMH.

batt125

Does anyone know if the BKR0710 Programming dongle has to be modified like the 0701?