Blue Ridge Parkway - Changes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
And apparently you know very little about much of anything.

Public safety systems across the country share their system with everything from school buses to garbage trucks along with police and fire.

The parks etc out here have everything on their channels. I listen all the time to calls about toilets stopped up, and light switches going out to ill people and drunks causing problems and all on the same system.

Apples to oranges here. We will have to agree to disagree.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Apples to oranges? Really?

I'm telling you the park freqs are like this. A guy who not only designs but builds, programs, and oversees these systems is telling you they are like this and yet you think everyone else but you is wrong and somehow what we're telling you doesn't apply to what we're talking about when it is exactly what we're talking about?

I'm at a complete loss.

Ignorance knows no bounds apparently.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Apples to oranges? Really?

I'm telling you the park freqs are like this. A guy who not only designs but builds, programs, and oversees these systems is telling you they are like this and yet you think everyone else but you is wrong and somehow what we're telling you doesn't apply to what we're talking about when it is exactly what we're talking about?

I'm at a complete loss.

Ignorance knows no bounds apparently.

Well first of all let me be clear that I really don't care what you or any other armchair experts think. I was ready to let it go with the agree to disagree comment but since you felt the need for the personal attack....

I stand by my professional OPINION that suggesting public safety share a "community repeater" type setup is a horrible idea. Yes, trunking systems do this all the time but that is really apples to oranges and I have not seen anywhere locally where a law enforcement or fire dispatch is sharing a frequency with the garbage trucks or water meter readers using P25 talkgroups or PL/DPL. I have seen some dual use EM and PW repeaters with different tones, but that is not operations.

Programming a radio with "busy channel lockout" is all fine and good until LE or Fire needs to make an emergency transmission and can't key up because the trash trucks are CBing it up on the other tone. What about these mountain-top sites that are spewing so much RF that the radio thinks it is getting a signal and the channel is busy? It's just not a good idea and heaven forbid some newbie radio tech from a tiny agency read this thread and get the idea that it is acceptable to do that. I've seen it on here before and it could put lives at risk if someone that is ill-informed rolls out a system like that.

Once again this is my opinion based on real world experience. If you don't like it.. Not much I can do for you but I know my qualifications for forming said opinion and I don't need to justify them any further here. Therefore I am done as far as that topic is concerned.

Now.... If we can Move along from the childish personal attacks and get back on the topic of the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway it would be fantastic.

fredva

Feed Provider
Yes, trunking systems do this all the time but that is really apples to oranges and I have not seen anywhere locally where a law enforcement or fire dispatch is sharing a frequency with the garbage trucks or water meter readers using P25 talkgroups or PL/DPL.

Putting the water dept., street dept., and the police dept. all on the same frequency wouldn't work in a big city but smaller jurisdictions have done this without much problem. For one thing, the maintenance people aren't talking on the radio every two minutes - that greatly reduces the chance of them interfering with radio transmissions during an emergency situation.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well first of all let me be clear that I really don't care what you or any other armchair experts think. I was ready to let it go with the agree to disagree comment but since you felt the need for the personal attack....

I stand by my professional OPINION that suggesting public safety share a "community repeater" type setup is a horrible idea. Yes, trunking systems do this all the time but that is really apples to oranges and I have not seen anywhere locally where a law enforcement or fire dispatch is sharing a frequency with the garbage trucks or water meter readers using P25 talkgroups or PL/DPL. I have seen some dual use EM and PW repeaters with different tones, but that is not operations.

Programming a radio with "busy channel lockout" is all fine and good until LE or Fire needs to make an emergency transmission and can't key up because the trash trucks are CBing it up on the other tone. What about these mountain-top sites that are spewing so much RF that the radio thinks it is getting a signal and the channel is busy? It's just not a good idea and heaven forbid some newbie radio tech from a tiny agency read this thread and get the idea that it is acceptable to do that. I've seen it on here before and it could put lives at risk if someone that is ill-informed rolls out a system like that.

Once again this is my opinion based on real world experience. If you don't like it.. Not much I can do for you but I know my qualifications for forming said opinion and I don't need to justify them any further here. Therefore I am done as far as that topic is concerned.

Now.... If we can Move along from the childish personal attacks and get back on the topic of the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway it would be fantastic.

I really can't stand people like you who jump on a forum saying a bunch of crap and then when you get called out on it try and turn it around and play the victim card as you do here.

"Woe is me. I was attacked for expressing my opinion about things."

No you weren't.

You stated the things I and others were telling you were not true. We told you they were true, they were actually happening every single friggin day and yet you choose to call us liars and say we didn't know what we were talking about.

You call us "Armchair experts" when I never claimed to be an expert in anything and am not one and the other person you attacked is a certified expert with decades of experience doing what you said he doesn't have a clue about.

No matter how many times we said this is actually happening every single day, all day long you persisted in saying no it wasn't.

Now if you want to express an opinion have at it. I don't have a problem with that whether I agree or disagree but you don't get to come on and attack people and call them liars about things because you don't want to believe it to be true or think it should be true and get away with it in my book.

As to using one frequency for multiple services being a good idea or not I may even agree with you on it not being very smart. Mark and others may as well but that wasn't what this was about.

They are doing it on the Ranger frequencies whether its a good idea or not. I listen to it every day as I told you before. Mark does as well, as he told you. He then told you how a good system deals with it.

Again whether that's a good idea or not is a matter of opinion but the fact they are doing it is not, its a fact.

Putting different talk groups on a single P25 frequency for different things and programming channel free on all but PS radios makes perfect sense to my non-expert logic.

Also I don't hear chit chat on these frequencies so your CBing may not be the issue you think it is.

The bottom line I didn't have anything against you until you started attacking people for reporting the facts of the matter in existence. Once you did that numerous people tried to tell you that you were wrong. You continued to attack us and call us things like "Armchair experts" rather than admit you were wrong. You were extremely insulting and dismissive to an actual real expert as well.

Then you choose to play the victim and claim you didn't do the things you did while crying over being called out for what you did do.

You want to move on that's fine with me. I wasn't going to post anything else after my last post but your latest comments couldn't be left to stand IMO.

I can't speak for what the rangers do down in NC but up here in VA they do it the way I and others have said. That is the bottom line here.

Status
Not open for further replies.