SDS100/SDS200: BPS100 “DC” Charger??

xevius

Greetings!

I have not read this anywhere, yet. I also have not seen any Youtube, or other videos concerning this:

I keep my BCD-436 in a ‘breakout bag’ of sorts, for emergencies. I have a DC charger for NiMh AA’s, and 8 Eneloop Pro AA’s.

Now, I am planning on soon buying an SDS100, and extra battery. I have no problem paying for an external battery-charger for it. $$$ is not that important to me. But, I plan for power-outages, especially in Hurricane Season ( Gulf Coast ). Therefore, I want to be able to charge the battery external, with one of my very good power banks. It appears the one from Uniden is AC only, but no one seems to talk about this. It has to be important to some others? Anyway, I’ll likely get the current extra battery & AC charger anyway, but I really want a DC capable charger, preferably by Uniden, but at least for this specific proprietary battery! ( no ‘generic’ battery charger, or anything ).

Just wondering if others are wanting the same, or have heard anything on the grapevine?

Thank you!

xevius

PS: I love Radio Reference, and will soon ne looking to study for my first-level HAM license. It should help quite a bit.

xevius

The wall wart for the external charger puts out dc, pretty sure 12vdc. So you would just need the right power pack and barrel connector and you’d be set.
Thanks for such a quick response!!!

Ok. By ‘wall-wart’ you’re referring to the A/C ‘plug’? ( Never heard that term for it. ). Ok, but By looking at pictures where it connects to the charger ( I presume this is some type of coupler between the AC plug & the charger itself? ). I take it you mean an input, say Type C, that a power bank can plug into? But, ‘barrel-connector’ is the black part between the plug and the charger cradle? It looks like some kind of power-supply, between the cradle & the barrel-connector?

Sure wish they could have made a simple type-c input in the cradle. I know it’s a big battery, but I have several DC chargers, including a Nitecore 4-port that can charge 4 21700 5,000 Mah batteries simultaneously. So, I would think it’s possible. Of course it may be a voltage issue or something. I’ll give Uniden the benefit of yhe doubt. But, from experience? They do not alway’s make things easy;).

Bearcat Wharehouse had a short video showing it unpacked, but said nothing about AC vs. DC!

Thanks again!

Randy

Last edited:

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Yes, a wall-wart is that ac plug that has a transformer built in to it.

Uniden seems to be resistant to get on USB-C bandwagon🙁

This is what I mean by barrel connector:
1715034274493.jpeg

And this is how ac plug connects to charger.

Attachments

• 1715034195929.jpeg
    1715034195929.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 6

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
@jtwalker --- The SDS200 uses a 12 volt adapter with the standard barrel size of 5.5 x 2.1
The chargers adapter barrel is smaller...
Probably so as not to plug the uniden 12 volt adapter into it...
That would be a real FUBAR for sure...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Jumping in...

He said: "I am planning on soon buying an SDS100".

Some SDS100 (and DR) notes:
The SDS100 will run with no battery fine. You just have to supply the mini-USB with power.
Since it is USB, you just have to use a normal USB "wall wart" or 'power bank' with sufficient output.
There are many 'power banks' available.
I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GXGQPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The SDS100 also charges batteries just fine, but you have to keep a couple of things in mind.
(A good power bank works here also)

There is a setting: "charge while on". If you do not supply an SDS100 with enough voltage, you get an error (and this setting resets). The USB wall wort and cord that comes with the radio works fine. But some other cords drop the voltage too much or the USB/wall wart is too weak). The key is any "24AWG" cord and the wall work being >2A - 2.5 would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Look at one of these

On sale for $170 from $499 for a few more days.

It:s an inverterm/battery pack. Puts out 120v ac via a standard household type socket. Also has a 12v outlet. Can be charged by 120v ac, 12v dc (auto outlet.. Aka cigarette lighter outlet) or a solar panel.

We have one, with a solar panel in our "bug out bag" and LOVE IT.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Look at one of these

On sale for $170 from $499 for a few more days.

It:s an inverterm/battery pack. Puts out 120v ac via a standard household type socket. Also has a 12v outlet. Can be charged by 120v ac, 12v dc (auto outlet.. Aka cigarette lighter outlet) or a solar panel.

We have one, with a solar panel in our "bug out bag" and LOVE IT.
I think thats $170 off... Sale price of $329... Thats still a good price though...

cart.jpg