breaking news and alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

I am not understanding the guidelines against posting severe weather information on the breaking news and alerts. Living in the Midwest in the Springtime means being proactive when severe weather is in the forecast.
I average 10-12 listeners. In the past when I have posted tornado or storm warnings I will have of up to 225!
I just need it explained. I would think that if something increased the traffic to a website it would be a good thing.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
The purpose is to provide information on a major event. We dont see weather alerts as a major event, anyone can go to internet and find where a storm warning is and such. We do allow you to post incidents that are occurring due to weather but those incidents need to be specifically stated.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

frazpo

Yes it does. That is a good point. But I am assuming that people are logging on to hear weather related reports from law enforcement, not that there is a storm warning or tornado warning. I see this as more beneficial and useful than just logging on for entertainment, like most are using RR for.

Not trying to sound hasty, this whole thing is great. Maybe just some looser guidelines. Like only severe storm or tornado warnings for the broadcasting agency county. Like I said,,I'm not notifying listeners of the weather, just notifying them that there may be lifesaving information being broadcast in the area.

Thank you

Tim

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Yes it does. That is a good point. But I am assuming that people are logging on to hear weather related reports from law enforcement, not that there is a storm warning or tornado warning. I see this as more beneficial and useful than just logging on for entertainment, like most are using RR for.

Not trying to sound hasty, this whole thing is great. Maybe just some looser guidelines. Like only severe storm or tornado warnings for the broadcasting agency county. Like I said,,I'm not notifying listeners of the weather, just notifying them that there may be lifesaving information being broadcast in the area.

Thank you

Tim

I understand what your saying but i would hope one has a TV or something that they would be notified of a weather alert:). The "breaking..." is supposed to tell them something happening that they would otherwise not know of. It was not designed to be a weather alert system.

Not to mention, it pollutes the alert page. Imagine having hundreds of weather alerts on that page. It Looks bad and makes it hard to see what real incidents are going on.

Last edited:

frazpo

Grrr, Your not going to budge are you? :) I understand. The stats are against you,,but rules are rules.

Tim

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
You can post the alerts in the "Additional Details" tab, we leave that space open for you to put anything (that is reasonable of course) that you want . I know its not that same as the alerts but its something.:)

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
frazpo: Just remember... the next time a tornado touches down and tears up your town... don't post an alert. We'll all read it in the morning paper instead of listening to it on RR the night before. :-(

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
frazpo: Just remember... the next time a tornado touches down and tears up your town... don't post an alert. We'll all read it in the morning paper instead of listening to it on RR the night before. :-(

Glad you brought that up although like i said, i hope you have other sources then to rely on RR for your weather alerts.

I forgot to mention, if there is a confirmed tornado on ground or significant damage occurs we will allow that to be posted.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
The only current alert posted is weather related... black ice and winter weather?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Well we're not going to be that strict...gosh They do have an incident posted and its not just a weather alert. We just dont want pure weather alerts posted. If there is an incident occurring because of weather we allow that and it needs to be stated what is occurring and thats what they have done.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
The next time a hurricane (weather related) is bearing down on Fort Myers... I'll remember not to post an alert. Radio Reference... the times they are a changing! :-(

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Dont be over dramatic.

What Kendrik is saying (I Think) is that weather warnings are not allowed to be posted as alerts.

If there is weather causing significant damage such as a tornado tearing up a town, that would be allowed.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Dont be over dramatic.

What Kendrik is saying (I Think) is that weather warnings are not allowed to be posted as alerts.

If there is weather causing significant damage such as a tornado tearing up a town, that would be allowed.

Thank you:) That is exactly what im trying to say.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the RR cops are onto us frazpo! I think I have it correct now. If you have a tornado warning but the tornado hasn't actually torn a roof off yet... no posting an alert! Just wondering... would you come up out of your cellar just to post an alert? And... if I have a hurricane approching and it's 10 miles off the coast... no posting an alert until the buildings begin to fly. Now it's time for the RR cops to close this thread... :-(

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
A tornado warning does not mean that there is a tornado on the ground. It means that conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes.

However, a Tornado Emergency Does mean that that there is a dangerous tornado on the ground approaching a populated area... It is up to the live audio team to make that decision if that would be allowed or not.

frazpo

Glad you brought that up although like i said, i hope you have other sources then to rely on RR for your weather alerts.

I forgot to mention, if there is a confirmed tornado on ground or significant damage occurs we will allow that to be posted.
Ya, I see the point in keeping it consistent with RR intentions. The weather related stuff does bring people to the site that normally would not though. Like I said, my maximum number of hits was from weather related alerts. People like that weather stuff. Cmon,, you guys watch Stormchasers! :)

billyadkinsjr

A tornado warning does not mean that there is a tornado on the ground. It means that conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes.

However, a Tornado Emergency Does mean that that there is a dangerous tornado on the ground approaching a populated area... It is up to the live audio team to make that decision if that would be allowed or not.

A tornado warning is only issued when-

A tornado is reported on the ground..
A funnel cloud is reported....
Strong low-level rotation is indicated by weather radar.........

tornado watch is issued when -
conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The next time a hurricane (weather related) is bearing down on Fort Myers... I'll remember not to post an alert.

Uhh, yeah. Like all those hurricanes you said hit Fort Myers this year. Methinks your definition of a hurricane is not quite the one the rest of the world uses.

Billy - he was referring to the Tornado Emergency product some NWS offices issue. It was a good idea but not implemented well, so has lost most of its value.

SCPD

QRT
Well the media won't be happy because they love when we post weather incidents, But you know what I don't understand is why we can not post a weather incident but we can post when a person is being barricaded and running a live feed on it when we are not suppose to. I rest my case lol.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
A tornado warning is only issued when-

A tornado is reported on the ground..
A funnel cloud is reported....
Strong low-level rotation is indicated by weather radar.........

tornado watch is issued when -
conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes.

ohh snap someone got corrected. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.