Broome County P25 Phase II TRS

Happy168569

For some reason the P25 system on my scanner as stopped working. It says on the screen. That it's "finding ctrlchan"... was working just fine right before battalion 1 went live. Anyone else? There a fix? I uploaded everything from the radio reference and still have same issue...

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
For some reason the P25 system on my scanner as stopped working. It says on the screen. That it's "finding ctrlchan"... was working just fine right before battalion 1 went live. Anyone else? There a fix? I uploaded everything from the radio reference and still have same issue...
Make sure all control channels are loaded. IF it says its searching it cant hear them.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Oddly enough it started working again a few hours after sending this message. I wonder if they have added a control Channel to the avail Freq
If you are using a scanner other than a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 loss of control channel reception can be a simulcast issue on Phase 2 systems. I've experienced this issue in NJ and Atlanta right in the middle of a city but unable to lock onto a control channel until I moved to the outskirts. If there was a mild change in propagation your scanner might receive the control channel from 2 sites that are almost equal signal strength and be unable to lock onto either one. Like the donkey that starved to death equidistant from 2 bales of hay. If it happens again try moving your scanner to a different location or if using a roof antenna switch to a telescopic antenna on the scanner.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
As of today, the Battalion 3 agencies (mainly southwestern Broome) are now utilizing the P25 System. So, all four Battalion talkgroups are now in use. From my monitoring the transition seems to have gone very smoothly. EMS to hospital use of the P25 system is a big plus, as the hilly terrain has limited reception on the 155.34 HEAR channel and cellphones are not a reliable backup as many areas even in Vestal have poor or no cell service. Awaiting the PD's transitions...

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
As of today, the Battalion 3 agencies (mainly southwestern Broome) are now utilizing the P25 System. So, all four Battalion talkgroups are now in use. From my monitoring the transition seems to have gone very smoothly. EMS to hospital use of the P25 system is a big plus, as the hilly terrain has limited reception on the 155.34 HEAR channel and cellphones are not a reliable backup as many areas even in Vestal have poor or no cell service. Awaiting the PD's transitions...
Next to migrate, Broome Co Government Security and Broome Airport.

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for continuing to provide us with a timeline, it's incredibly helpful.

Has each agency been assigned a transition date or are those being decided as we progress into the year?
No exact dates are being given because it is a moving target. The mobile radio installers and the pace of their progress dictates how quickly we move from agency to agency. It depends on manpower availability and other factors and is a constant moving target. isn’t an exact science.
Even though all Fire and EMS is on the new system, about 1/2 of those agencies are waiting for their mobiles to be installed and they are running on portables only. At the current rate we are looking at end of May before they are caught up and we can begin migrating law enforcement.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Even though all Fire and EMS is on the new system, about 1/2 of those agencies are waiting for their mobiles to be installed and they are running on portables only.
Probably frustrating that the pace of installs is slow, and obviously less than ideal operating on portable only...but from a system admin perspective, satisfying to get a real sense of the coverage of the system.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
WIth my scanner on "Search" as I monitored the comms of Fire Departments fighting the large brush fire in the Whitney Point area I noted use of talkgroups not listed in the RR database. These included talkgroups 27128, 27154 and 27156. It sounded like they might be department-specific talkgroups. The personnel commented that they had their radio on "SCAN", so there were no "switch to channel xx" requests.
So, until we get these identified it may be a good idea to use the "SEARCH" function when monitoring major events.

SPC101

Premium Subscriber
WIth my scanner on "Search" as I monitored the comms of Fire Departments fighting the large brush fire in the Whitney Point area I noted use of talkgroups not listed in the RR database. These included talkgroups 27128, 27154 and 27156. It sounded like they might be department-specific talkgroups. The personnel commented that they had their radio on "SCAN", so there were no "switch to channel xx" requests.
So, until we get these identified it may be a good idea to use the "SEARCH" function when monitoring major events.
These are the ops. 2 talkgroups for the fire/EMS agencies in the county. I've compiled a complete list of all these talkgroups and their respective names, I just haven't had a chance to submit it to the RadioReference database yet.

27128 is Whitney Point Fire Ops. 2
27154 is Town of Binghamton Fire Ops. 2
27156 is Triangle Fire Ops. 2

Edit: Submitted all frequencies I have identified to the database

Last edited:

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
These are the ops. 2 talkgroups for the fire/EMS agencies in the county. I've compiled a complete list of all these talkgroups and their respective names, I just haven't had a chance to submit it to the RadioReference database yet.

27128 is Whitney Point Fire Ops. 2
27154 is Town of Binghamton Fire Ops. 2
27156 is Triangle Fire Ops. 2

Edit: Submitted all frequencies I have identified to the database
Thanks very much for the comprehensive update and quick response.

SPC101

Premium Subscriber

bcrmc

Premium Subscriber
I was back in Broome over the weekend and it seemed Endicott PD and Broome Security are still the only law enforcement agencies that have transitioned to the P25 system. The Sheriff Dept and Binghamton PD are still on VHF but are patched to the new system.
Remaining law enforcement will begin transitioning in July and hopefully be completed by end of summer.

SPC101

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like most of the SP cars in the county are on new radios, the clarity is night and day compared to the old ones.

I assume they'll be transitioning over to the new channels very soon.