Can Attenuator Help?

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, been fighting with a couple very strong pager sites that seem to be overloading my BCD996P2 and wiping out some of the more distant frequencies I used to get with no problem. One or both pager transmitters must be new. Anyway, I’ve changed out my roof antenna for one with less gain, still having issues. Would this be a situation where I could try the attenuator in the scanner? I see online that you can turn on global attenuation so it’s already on, or turn it on by specific site, etc. But I can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I can turr r n on the global, but if I manually tune to one of the pager frequencies, is there a way to turn on att for just that frequency if it’s not a frequency that’s stored in the scanner? Do I have to store the frequency first to be able to turn on the att? Can’t find any info on this in the manual. Thanks!

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
you would have to store it to attenuate it.
and you probably don't want it stored anyway.
do you really NEED an outside antenna ?
I run a Broadcastify feed for my rural county and live in the mountains, it makes a huge difference for me to have an outside antenna.

Reactions: wtp

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Scannermaster used to sell filters for paging and you ordered and tuned the one you needed.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Scannermaster used to sell filters for paging and you ordered and tuned the one you needed.
Thanks, I’ve spoken with Par Electronics who makes custom notch filters, he can put something together for me. I’ve been listening this morning with attenuation turned on on the scanner and a lower gain antenna I installed yesterday, and I’m actually picking up the missing frequency now. I just need to see if I’m now missing anything else because of the attenuator.

ecps92

Hey all, been fighting with a couple very strong pager sites that seem to be overloading my BCD996P2 and wiping out some of the more distant frequencies I used to get with no problem. One or both pager transmitters must be new. Anyway, I’ve changed out my roof antenna for one with less gain, still having issues. Would this be a situation where I could try the attenuator in the scanner? I see online that you can turn on global attenuation so it’s already on, or turn it on by specific site, etc. But I can’t seem to figure out how to do that. I can turr r n on the global, but if I manually tune to one of the pager frequencies, is there a way to turn on att for just that frequency if it’s not a frequency that’s stored in the scanner? Do I have to store the frequency first to be able to turn on the att? Can’t find any info on this in the manual. Thanks!
Only you, experimenting, will actually know what might help you with your reception issue.

I've seen folks resolve reception issue with something as simple/odd as a Paper Clip
I've also seen folks resolve reception issues with true identification of the source/Freq causing the issue and installing filters in line, which then has caused them issues when they wanted to listen to something else.

As this is a hobby and many listen to a wide swath of spectrum, keep experimenting. And as pointed (I think by you) out that Height might have been the cause, so going lower or even (paper clip) might help for that ONE agency you want to hear.

Also, not being too familiar with that model radio, see if it can do ATT on that FREQ Only, Don't ATT everything only that one Freq

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Only you, experimenting, will actually know what might help you with your reception issue.

I've seen folks resolve reception issue with something as simple/odd as a Paper Clip
I've also seen folks resolve reception issues with true identification of the source/Freq causing the issue and installing filters in line, which then has caused them issues when they wanted to listen to something else.

As this is a hobby and many listen to a wide swath of spectrum, keep experimenting. And as pointed (I think by you) out that Height might have been the cause, so going lower or even (paper clip) might help for that ONE agency you want to hear.

Also, not being too familiar with that model radio, see if it can do ATT on that FREQ Only, Don't ATT everything only that one Freq
Yes, still experimenting. Yesterday I put a Motorola commercial mobile antenna on a ground plane kit on the roof in place of the Diamond X50. It's a short antenna, only like 20' tall. I'm very surprised at the good reception and sound quality. I guess I shouldn't be considering the quality of the antenna. So, I turned on the attenuator and this morning I actually heard some transmissions on the frequency I've been missing. Then some were still broken like before. I'm moving in the right direction.

Side note - I took my handheld BCD436HP on the roof with me yesterday and the signal I'm trying to pick up again came in crystal clear on the handheld with stubby antenna! So, maybe even a smaller antenna is what I need. I'm just trying not to loose other distant frequencies in the process.....

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Or they're new to you, not many new VHF paging sites popping up these days. Moar antenna, moar signal, and in your case...moar problems.
Thanks, possible it's just confusing because I didn't change anything on my end and just stopped receiving the distant signals that I had been getting.

ecps92

Thanks, possible it's just confusing because I didn't change anything on my end and just stopped receiving the distant signals that I had been getting.
some other transmitter is causing you to hear those paging channels.
Could be almost anything mixing with the signals from FM Radio, NWS... all we can for from afar is throw the spit at the wall , while you take/try each suggestion which may/maynot work and might cause issues with something else you want to listen to :(

a417

this you?

Hey all, I've got my BCD996P2 hooked to a Diamond XC50C2 antenna on my roof. It's worked great for couple years. Recently I've noticed a drop off in reception of a particular frequency that I monitor. It's on the edge of my reception area, so I can't say I'm surprised. But I stopped picking them up suddenly which was strange. It's a conventional VHF digital frequency for a police dispatch center. I still get the analog VHF FD frequency in the same town. It's scratchy but it's always been. To try and eliminate any potential issues on my end, I shorted up my coax run, bought all new LMR-400 and now have a 50' run from the antenna on the roof, down the side of the house and into a window right to the scanner. Previously it went into my basement and tapped into the network of coax already run in my walls for cable tv so I could access it at my desk (not ideal, but it worked). After shortening up the run, I got that frequency back, but still broken and choppy, not as clear as it used to be.
and then,
I haven't changed anything until I improved my coax and shortened my coax run, which helped a little but it's still not back to where it used to be for reception on this frequency. It also seems like reception in all other aspects is as good, or better then it was before since I improved my coax situation.
:unsure:

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

you sure as hell did change something. You have 3 or 4 threads regarding this issue since the new year, and these few are from the first post in it.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
this you?

and then,

:unsure:

you sure as hell did change something. You have 3 or 4 threads regarding this issue since the new year, and these few are from the first post in it.
Yes. I mean I didn't change anything BEFORE the loss in signal. Then I made those changes above to try and improve things but it didn't work.

a417

Hang with me here, let me see if I have this right. I'm going to try to tl:dr your 3+ threads so we can address this developing XY problem.

First issue you ever brought up was you lost a VHF PD frequency that you never got really well. You replaced your feedline with LMR-400, shortened up your run, and went direct from antenna to scanner - to replace what used to be a CATV/splitter/in-wall/homejobber spaghetti mess. You are now getting VHF paging signals that you didn't get before. Those signals are affecting your device in a deleterious manner.

am I right to this point?

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hang with me here, let me see if I have this right. I'm going to try to tl:dr your 3+ threads so we can address this developing XY problem.

First issue you ever brought up was you lost a VHF PD frequency that you never got really well. You replaced your feedline with LMR-400, shortened up your run, and went direct from antenna to scanner - to replace what used to be a CATV/splitter/in-wall/homejobber spaghetti mess. You are now getting VHF paging signals that you didn't get before. Those signals are affecting your device in a deleterious manner.

am I right to this point?
Thank you. To clarify I never knew to look for the pager interference before so I don't know if I was picking up the pager signals before or not. All I know is I used to receive this one particular frequency and now I don't. But I DO in my car in the driveway. Ruled out interference by killing all power to my house with no improvement in reception.

Now, I'm not actually hearing pager noise in anything that I'm scanning. The only reason I started looking for pager signals is because I did an interference test where I manually tuned my scanner to the frequency I'm TRYING to receive, opened the squelch all the way and was seeing 3-5 signal bars along with the normal squelch noise, telling me there was a signal of some kind getting through. I could also hear a faint digital "pager" noise in the static, sounded like an office phone ringing or something. That's what tipped me off to start scanning for pager noise.

Then I found these:

So, based on all this info, I'm making an educated guess that these strong signals are interfering with the weaker ones I'm trying to pick up.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
no problem.

Usually moar signals is moar bettar, but not in your case.
So yesterday I took my handheld scanner to the roof and stood next to my rooftop antenna. The handheld scanner was picking up the frequency I'm trying to get. Maybe small antenna with less gain not being affected by the pagers? So anyway, I know I CAN receive the frequency I want at my house. Something about my base scanner setup is killing the signal. Again, I've ruled out interference from my house itself, and basically ruled out feed line issues because that's all new.

a417

Your rooftop antenna is likely a better antenna than any stubby. It's trying to pull in everything. Your old wiring disaster was attenuating that signal for you. You replaced that with new hotness. The new hotness is now taking all that signal and piping it to your scanner. Your old wiring actually helped you in that regard. Your scanner does not like that. The stubby antenna recieves less than the rooftop, even when right next to it. The scanner can handle the signal you are putting in it from the stubby.

The feedline is likely the issue. Issues can be good. Your improvements had unintended side effects. Your side effect is now your scanner is getting way more signal across the spectrum that it used to.

For gits and shiggles, attach the stubby to your base scanner and take it up on the roof. See what happens.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Your rooftop antenna is likely a better antenna than any stubby. It's trying to pull in everything. Your old wiring disaster was attenuating that signal for you. You replaced that with new hotness. The new hotness is now taking all that signal and piping it to your scanner. Your old wiring actually helped you in that regard. Your scanner does not like that. The stubby antenna recieves less than the rooftop, even when right next to it. The scanner can handle the signal you are putting in it from the stubby.

The feedline is likely the issue. Issues can be good. Your improvements had unintended side effects. Your side effect is now your scanner is getting way more signal across the spectrum that it used to.

For gits and shiggles, attach the stubby to your base scanner and take it up on the roof. See what happens.
I agree with this assessment. Now I play the game of "dumbing down" my antenna to balance out the better feed line and hopefully not loose too much in the process. Or go back to RG6 or something for the feed line. It's only about a 30' run.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for talking through this. If this is in fact my problem. I assume I have the following options:

1) Smaller, less-gain antenna
2) Lesser feed line (RG58, etc)
3) Notch filters for the offending frequencies

Or a combination of the above..... Does that make sense? Thanks.