• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cannot import 3 band (700/800 and VHF) systems with PPS V4

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
I've imported a few local P25 systems into my G5 using the new V4 PPS, creating systems in the Trunking System List with no problems.

Today I tried to build a list for the Texas GATTRS system. When I go in to add a new system, it will only let me add or import a VHF or 700/800 system, but not one that does all 3 bands like GATTRS. After several hours of experimenting, I was able to make it work by building separate GATTRS VHF and 700/800 profiles, then exporting the VHF sites to a CSV file, and importing them into the 700/800 sites.

A second issue I discovered is when you try to enable "Full Spectrum Scan", the V4 PPS only allows you to add the VHF band, or the 700/800. If you select 3 ranges, they are all the same band (VHF or 700/800), and you get an error if you try to enter frequency ranges from another band. so you cannot enable full spectrum scan for 3 bands.

Unication......are you listening? :unsure:

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

I'm sure Unication would tell you what you need is a scanner, not a G5. The G-Series Pagers are not designed to do this, it is designed for one band, one system, one mode, per knob position. I'd suggest you try the SDS line from Uniden if you want to do all you seek, as it is doubtful the G5 will ever meet your needs.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I've imported a few local P25 systems into my G5 using the new V4 PPS, creating systems in the Trunking System List with no problems.

Today I tried to build a list for the Texas GATTRS system. When I go in to add a new system, it will only let me add or import a VHF or 700/800 system, but not one that does all 3 bands like GATTRS. After several hours of experimenting, I was able to make it work by building separate GATTRS VHF and 700/800 profiles, then exporting the VHF sites to a CSV file, and importing them into the 700/800 sites.

A second issue I discovered is when you try to enable "Full Spectrum Scan", the V4 PPS only allows you to add the VHF band, or the 700/800. If you select 3 ranges, they are all the same band (VHF or 700/800), and you get an error if you try to enter frequency ranges from another band. so you cannot enable full spectrum scan for 3 bands.

I just imported a VHF, a 700 and a 800 site from GATRRS with no issue. Are you sure you picked the correct model for your profile?

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
I believe so.

When I go "D" in the PPS menu and "search by connected device", it shows G5B67BF-SXVXEN1400UNI, 700/800+UHF.

When I open my existing profile, and look at E1 and the "Profile Model Information", it shows that identical model number, and also shows the protocol of "Analog + DMR + P25C + P25T.

This profile was built from scratch.

When I look at my GATRRS profile in the V3 PPS, it has the "full spectrum scan" for all 3 bands (VHF, 700 and 800). And it worked well in the past when I was within range of GATRRS.

When you imported the VHF and 700/800 GATRRS sites, did you add it from the E2 menu? When you hit the "add" button, does it give you the option to add both VHF and 700/800?

Thank you for the quick response!

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure Unication would tell you what you need is a scanner, not a G5. The G-Series Pagers are not designed to do this, it is designed for one band, one system, one mode, per knob position. I'd suggest you try the SDS line from Uniden if you want to do all you seek, as it is doubtful the G5 will ever meet your needs.
My G5 has been working great for years. Using the V3 PPS, I was able to easily import VHF and 700/800 sites (like GATTRS), and also set it up for full spectrum scans in all 3 bands. I was able to monitor all the talk groups (Talk Group Monitor) as I drove across Texas. All on the same system (GATTRS), but 3 bands.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I just imported a VHF, a 700 and a 800 site from GATRRS with no issue. Are you sure you picked the correct model for your profile?

My G5 has been working great for years. Using the V3 PPS, I was able to easily import VHF and 700/800 sites (like GATTRS), and also set it up for full spectrum scans in all 3 bands. I was able to monitor all the talk groups (Talk Group Monitor) as I drove across Texas. All on the same system (GATTRS), but 3 bands.

This system imports fine using the import from RR with all site frequencies listed. But if I attempt to change it to use Full Spectrum Scan it gives me an error message and will not allow me to do it in C-1 or E-2. If I try to manually enter it it will not allow me to do a multi-band Full Spectrum Scan, I must choose VHF, UHF, 700 or 800MHz.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Last edited:

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.

Since you and Kevin can import it, then there must be something wrong with the file I'm importing, or something else with my configuration that I will need to troubleshoot.

When I go in to "Add" a new P25 Trunking system, the only options it gives is to "import cvs from Radio Reference and add 700/800 system", or "import cvs from Radio Reference and add a VHF system". It won't allow me to import both at the same time. When I select 700/800 system, all the 700 and 800 sites and frequencies are shown and I can select them, but the VHF sites/frequencies are shown in red letters, and I cannot select them. Same if I select to import a VHF system; all the 700/800 sites/frequencies are listed in red and not selectable.

I may have to revert to backing up the profile, wiping my G5, and deleting and re-installing the PPS. Not sure yet. Sunday afternoons are about the only time I have to dedicate to programming my radio.

Thank you both again for your help.

On another note, do you use the "Sub Group Feature" with the "Alternatives" setting? If so, on my G5, when I have the Alternatives "disabled", it still passes all voice traffic on the talkgroup I'm monitoring. It worked fine in PPS V3. Now I'm not sure if it's a glitch in PPS V4, or perhaps some glitch related to my G5.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When I go in to "Add" a new P25 Trunking system, the only options it gives is to "import cvs from Radio Reference and add 700/800 system", or "import cvs from Radio Reference and add a VHF system". It won't allow me to import both at the same time. When I select 700/800 system, all the 700 and 800 sites and frequencies are shown and I can select them, but the VHF sites/frequencies are shown in red letters, and I cannot select them. Same if I select to import a VHF system; all the 700/800 sites/frequencies are listed in red and not selectable.

Where are you importing it? You should be adding it/importing it from RR database button in tab C-1 first, select all sites you want, all TGs you may possibly need in the future. Utilize the RR Import option/tool to do this, select "Add primary and alternate control channels" and deselect make new knob position.**

Then go to tab E-2 when editing your profile and add from Public Resources. This is how I did it and it imported all bands/sires for me.
On another note, do you use the "Sub Group Feature" with the "Alternatives" setting? If so, on my G5, when I have the Alternatives "disabled", it still passes all voice traffic on the talkgroup I'm monitoring. It worked fine in PPS V3. Now I'm not sure if it's a glitch in PPS V4, or perhaps some glitch related to my G5.

This is a known issue not yet fixed.

**NOTE: You must be a premium subscriber to use the RR database import function, I do not see where you have joined RR, that might be the problem.

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
OK.....just purchased a premium subscription (had one for many years under a different email address before I moved). The files I downloaded are identical format to the csv files I build manually.

Also PPS 4 calls them "cvs" files, not "csv". Comma value separated? :p Or the pharmacy? :D

I downloaded the Sites and TG csv files from RR for GATTRS.

When I go to C1 and click on "Add", a long menu of "import .cvs from radioreference.com and add XXX system" comes up, but nothing for both VHF and 700/800. I can import either the VHF or the 700/800 sites, but not both. When I select one band, the other band shows up in red and I cannot select them.

What I don't see is where you said "Utilize the RR Import option/tool to do this, select "Add primary and alternate control channels" and deselect make new knob position.**" I don't see that selection under C1 or E2.

So again I think there may be something messed up with my PPS, so I'm going to export my current code plug, uninstall the PPS V4, reinstall it, and import the code plug and try again. I'm also going to do a factory reset on my G5 just in case.

Thank you for confirming the "Alternatives" is a known issue.

Also thank you again for your assistance. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this is the issue or not as I don't know much about the G5 but in an above post you say you're G5 is 700/800 and UHF

Yet you say you want to import 700/800 and VHF.

If you have an UHF device I wouldn't think it would do VHF

See Post 4
When I go "D" in the PPS menu and "search by connected device", it shows G5B67BF-SXVXEN1400UNI, 700/800+UHF.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
OK.....just purchased a premium subscription (had one for many years under a different email address before I moved). The files I downloaded are identical format to the csv files I build manually.

You do not download any files, you use the Radio Reference Import button top right on tab C-1

Capture.PNG

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So again I think there may be something messed up with my PPS, so I'm going to export my current code plug, uninstall the PPS V4, reinstall it, and import the code plug and try again. I'm also going to do a factory reset on my G5 just in case.

Do not import the old code plug, it prevents several features in V4 from working and will cause you issues in the long run. There is nothing wrong with the PPS, just look at what we are sending.

Also, @Ghstwolf62 makes a good point I missed, is this correct?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this is the issue or not as I don't know much about the G5 but in an above post you say you're G5 is 700/800 and UHF

Yet you say you want to import 700/800 and VHF.

If you have an UHF device I wouldn't think it would do VHF

See Post 4

Model SXV is VHF, SXU is UHF.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Also thank you again for your assistance. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

This issue was reported to Unication through the now hidden Beta Test Group on Facebook. A Unication rep attempted to do the same thing I did and got the same error message. It is being submitted to the PPS design team and hopefully will be addressed in the near future.

texas1313

Premium Subscriber
@RaleighGuy

You got me straight now! A bit embarrassing, but it had been several years since had used the "Import Radio Reference" button in the upper right side of the main PPS screen.

Some years ago I downloaded the "sites" and "talkgroups" CSV files for a local system, and then copied it and customized it for a new P25 system that was not in RR. Then when I traveled and wanted to add other systems temporarily, I could copy the sites and talkgroups I wanted from my Uniden Sentinel software into the PPS CSV format and quickly import them into my G5. Yes, it would have been much easier to use the "Import Radio Reference" button.

This CSV import method worked fine for me with the V4 PPS, and I imported my local systems (single band) into the Public Resource Manager. I ran into the problem when I tried to import sites that were both VHF and 700/800.

So now, it appears everything is importing nicely using the Radio Reference Import button, and I see what I overlooked. THANK YOU!!!

I am still not able to set it up for "Full Spectrum Scan" on all the GATTRS bands (an Error Report window pops up). Same error message you referenced. No big deal at this point.

Also for @Ghstwolf62, my radio is the SXV (VHF/700/800). That was an inadvertent typo. Thank you for closely checking my work and helping troubleshoot!

Thank all of you for your assistance with this!