• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Cb antenna tuned to 10 meter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

I bought a RS antenna- Radio Shack® No-Ground CB Antenna Model: 21-977 | Catalog #: 21-977
RadioShack® No-Ground CB Antenna - RadioShack.com
I was wondering if these antennas can usually hold more than the 3 watts that CBs offer. I have a ham radio that will go to 25 watts and with some tuning on this antenna I wondered if the CB Antenna will handle the 25 watts on 10 meters. I could use it for both maybe. I don't see anything in the antenna listing saying wattage. Thanks Ron

LtDoc

Just as a guess, I would think that it would handle 25 watts if it's tuned correctly. Probably more...
- 'Doc

K9WG

I don't know Doc. Some of these antennas have capacitors in them. I would be concerned about the voltage rating of the capacitor (if indeed there is one).

k8krh

I would not try on 10 it is a rat shack antenna, you would be better off purchasing a 10 meter vertical or a 11 mter vertical..it will work fine on 10 with an antenna tuner. I use a Sorio 2016 myself but just on 10 meters ..
DOCTOR/795

LtDoc

K9WG,
I don't know either, that's why it was a 'guess'. I've used the 'Shack's 11 meter antennas on 10 meters before and it did about as well as any other of the same length. It was re-tuned for 10 meters though, and that can/will make a difference in power handling ability. I also used it with a tuner for other bands. I wouldn't say it was 'good', but it was certainly usable. I think it would be a safe bet that the antenna I had isn't the same one in question, so still no sizable bet on if it would work or not.
Not all, but most "CB" antennas will handle more than 4 watts. It's almost a sure bet that more power than that would be used with some of them, you know?
- 'Doc

K9WG

I agree with you Doc. I use a trimmed 11-meter mag mount for my 25 watt mobile with great results. The thing that would have me concerned is the 1/2 wave no ground feature. That and it's a Radio Shack ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.