C Crane CC Skywave

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

Any comments on the C.Crane CC Skywave SSB AM, FM, Shortwave, Weather, VHF, Avation and SSB Bands portable travel radio?

I like to listen to Amature Radio.

I have owned the radio for several months. Works great on all the aforementioned bands on just the attached telescopic whip. I have pulled in HF SSB transmissions decently with just the whip. For what it is, I find it amazing to just be able to receive HF transmissions on it all. Very happy with mine so far.

majoco

Stirrer
For what it is, I find it amazing to just be able to receive HF transmissions on it all.

I have owned the Degen/Kaito 1103 for over ten years and recently bought a Tecsun pl-660 - they both have excellent HF SSB reception, the 1103 slighly better than the 660. Both these radios are far better than the much earlier Zenith 3000-1 or the Sony CRF-5090, both of which sit on my display shelf hardly used any more.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a CC skywave and the LCD display seems to be shot. Anyone else experience this? I have already tried contacting the company and still have not received a reply.

betito1954

Premium Subscriber
Just got my for XMAS. Im able to pickup shortwave at night. SSB makes up a big difference. The more you play with it the better

majoco

Stirrer
Easy just take the test and get your license. Even I could do it.

You don't need a licence to listen to ham radio - you don't need a licence to listen on a transceiver - so if you really want to become a ham operator, then buy a transceiver and listen all you can then apply for your licence. Unfortunately the basic technician grade doesn't allow you to transmit on the HF bands - or does it in the USofA?

N8IAA

You don't need a licence to listen to ham radio - you don't need a licence to listen on a transceiver - so if you really want to become a ham operator, then buy a transceiver and listen all you can then apply for your licence. Unfortunately the basic technician grade doesn't allow you to transmit on the HF bands - or does it in the USofA?

Small segment of the 10 meter band with voice. Used it extensively back in the mid 80's.

Boombox

Tech grade allows CW in allotted portions of the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter bands, and SSB in a small portion of the 10 meter band in the USA.

But your greater point is very true -- no license is needed to enjoy ham radio. I've been monitoring it for years. Sometimes it's fun, other times not so much. Even CW can be interesting if DX is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.