• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cherokee AH-27F help.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
I was going through and updating my BOBs and hauled out my ancient Cherokee AH-27F to test it. I have no idea how, but the manual, The DC charger and the AC wall wart were all missing. The power/charger block is there. They were not in either bag or the truck, and I went through every pocket. I've spent 3 hours on Google trying to find what I need, but all I find are ones for sale and good reviews from the '00s. Can anyone help with this? I have no idea what DC or AC unit to use on it, and I have questions for the manual. Like, can you run the DC while the regular non rechargeable AAs are in the case and attached? I don't think I can, but I'm not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Scotty

DeeEx

I’ve written this every few years somewhere it seems…

Those batteries and chargers were very widely used by other brands. Cobra, RS, and even Standard (HX series).

Some high end Standard marine HTs came with conditioning chargers…I only found one over the years.

Hamfests, eBay, or a QRZ “wanted ad will be your best bet.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would love to find a battery pack or the cigarette lighter plug in for mine. Mine was the one with SSB so not sure the model number. Was a great handheld cb.

DeeEx

I’ll add to my post above…

After a little poking around online, the compatible models I can quickly recognize are:

Cobra: HH45, 45WX

Radio Shack: TRC231, 232

Standard: HX240, 240U

Cross-referenced by the Standard models, fresh batteries can still be found online.

RS, and possibly Cobra, had AA shells included with the radios when new. Get ahold of one of those, put modern cells inside, and you’d have a perfect solution.

Avix

Premium Subscriber
Ka3jjz. That helped. I found a variable power AC supply on my shelf o junk and an adapter to fit. I tried it on both 12 and 9V and nothing.The AC input is on the charger block for using rechargeable. I was trying different plug adapters and discovered that if you hold it in the right place, it just powers up with the charger block in it. Alas. The charger block jack needs to be resoldered. You have to hold the plug in just the right way. Now I have to find someone with fine motor control that can resolder it in an age of disposables. Everything I found says Ni-Cad's of course for the rechargeable. I don't know if I can use Ni-Mh in it. My Google-Fu is not good.

Bearcatrp. IIFC when I was looking around, there were many comparisons to the AH-100.

DeeEx. Thank you for the list. I got plenty of hits on the Cobra HH-45 and even found some packs with both adapters.

Thank you all for all the help. Next stop! Manuals lol.

Scotty

Avix

Premium Subscriber
Well shuckity darn and slop the chickens! My Wonderful, Beautiful Wife found the manual in what I laughing call my filing system! It is folded and beaten and dirty, but I got it scanned to a PDF. Any suggestions on where to post it besides here? Neither of us could find one online, and she has excellent Google-Fu. Now on to get hold of a guy to resolder the socket.

Scotty.