Citizen, the real-time crime alerting app, is growing in big cities using Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
So is this app requested security going to be private armed roaming patrols? This "rapid response", So they're gonna get private security racing to the scenes of user requests? With what? amber flashing lights disregarding traffic control? Then there going to arrive on scene and essentially quasi-impersonate LEOs for the appearance purposes and "show of force"? That's literally a security whackers wet dream right there

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Bet that goes over well here in SoCal, where already scenes are polluted with "buffs", "private patrol" whackers, and legitimate media.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I can't believe the stringer scene is so robust in SoCal...
Your talking LA, where there are more folks with cams than sense. I would have said its like Japan, but those folks usually have more intelligence than the Papparazziwannabe's here in the US. Though LA is all geniuses compared to "Florida Man" ....

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I can't believe the stringer scene is so robust in SoCal...
You ever see the Netflix series Shot in the Dark? It's a docu style production following stringers in "heart pumping" action as they drive like bats outta hell racing to the scenes and battle for big breaks and the best camera shots while they lurk throughout the night in LAs darkness with a dozen scanners in their vehicles. Some of them even have dispatchers!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
You ever see the Netflix series Shot in the Dark? It's a docu style production following stringers in "heart pumping" action as they drive like bats outta hell racing to the scenes and battle for big breaks while they lurk throughout the night in LAs darkness with a dozen scanners in their vehicles. Some of them even have dispatchers!

Yes, I have. I also follow (and/or followed) several of those guys on social media. When I worked in CA back in the early 00's, it was brought up that the media (broad term) was very self-entitled and will be everywhere, all the time, always...but not like it is today with internet cowboys. I can't believe watching some of the stringers now that are doing things like following immediately behind vehicle pursuits and then set up in the crossfire just for the views. That is absolutely bananas to me.

I do enjoy it when CHP kicks them off the side of the highway and/or does a stop on them after the pursuit goes by...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I love when they find out just how well Law Enforcement actually does work when they are trying to make the "cops" look bad. Its hilarious. The worst of the "stringers" are the ones that are the "police the police" bunch that are only out to get famous by hating on LEA's. This is one reason I am nervous about what Citizen is doing. Its one thing to honestly try to help out the world by reporting things to keep us informed and out of danger. But this is getting about retarded.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I love when they find out just how well Law Enforcement actually does work when they are trying to make the "cops" look bad. Its hilarious. The worst of the "stringers" are the ones that are the "police the police" bunch that are only out to get famous by hating on LEA's. This is one reason I am nervous about what Citizen is doing. Its one thing to honestly try to help out the world by reporting things to keep us informed and out of danger. But this is getting about retarded.
You mean that basically Citizen turns into an "auditor" app? Those "auditors" types will use Citizen to follow big incidents in order to get in the way and "audit" the police, cherry picking big or interesting incidents to show up at. They won't need to listen to a scanner all day but pick the incidents they want mingle at

Status
Not open for further replies.