• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CM300 Programming for Ham Use

cspacone

Greetings,

Came into a CM300 by pulling it off the e-waste pile. I'd like to learn about programming it but there seems to be a lot of contradictory information, some of it long on opinion and short on fact.

My use case is setting it up for packet / VARA-FM, perhaps a couple well known repeaters in the LA area, the LA test pairs and several simplex channels.

First off, I have *zero interest* in trying to scam Moto, all I want to be able to do is program the radio myself. As I understand it I'll need what amounts to a serial cable (USB perhaps) that feeds a box (level shifter or similar) and a connector for the radio programming port. Then of course there is the software required.

So, the question is (isn't it always?) build vs. buy, or in this case obtain all the kit vs. finding a dealer that is Ham friendly and willing to do the job for a reasonable price vs. the cost of a new radio.

I live in Torrance, CA and am happy to do either, just looking for some straightforward advice on which way to go. Otherwise, back on the e-waste pile she goes!

Chris, KD6OUB

clbsquared

You need Commercial CPS for a CM300. A USB FTDI programming cable will work without the need for a RIB. Windows 7 32 or 64 bit operating system. I’m not sure about Windows 10 but I don’t believe it supports that CPS. The CPS is available online. A google search should accomplish that.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
First thing I'd do is run the actual model number. There were 2 splits. One was 136-162 and the second was 146-174 for VHF. So the one you have may not go to what you want. The low split does make a nice digi but are hard to find.

FD101

Premium Subscriber
You need Commercial CPS for a CM300. A USB FTDI programming cable will work without the need for a RIB. Windows 7 32 or 64 bit operating system. I’m not sure about Windows 10 but I don’t believe it supports that CPS. The CPS is available online. A google search should accomplish that.
CPS will work on Windows 10 and 11. You can find a USB cable online from BlueMax49ers for a few bucks, it works great too!

cspacone

CM300 or CM300D?
It appears to be a Radius CM300 - no D.

I pulled the following string off the bottom of the device:

AAM50RPF9AA1AN

Which near as I can tell is US version, mobile rig, Series 50, UHF 2 (435-470), 25-40 watts, CM300, Programmable, conventional MDC, feature level 1 (sports a 4/32 mini-UHF connector.

-Chris

cspacone

So it looks like this cable RPC-MM-UF from Radiotronics is compatable with this radio and connects via the mic connector. I understand the RIB box now. Looks like $99.00 may be approaching my limit for the e-waste pile return.

Thanks for the help, I'll probe further on the software end of things.

-Chris

cspacone

CPS will work on Windows 10 and 11. You can find a USB cable online from BlueMax49ers for a few bucks, it works great too!
Thanks for the lead, looks like BlueMax49ers has a compatable cable at half the price of the other I found.

Appreciate teh help!

-Chris

cspacone

And BlueMax indicates I'll need to get the following software:

COMMERCIAL SERIES 50 00Motorola2013R05.18.00Restricted

Which means a visit to the Mothership! I'm betting the software will be shockingly expensive. I'll report back what I find but I suspect that this will violate my e-waste limit!

Will commercial Moto dealers do silly one-off's for hams like us?

-Chris

a417

I'm racking my brain on the one CM300 that I had to support that one time, and I am pretty sure that I didn't need my RIB kit with it. @jeepsandradios is spot on, as usual. I see compatible programming cables on the amazons and ebays for $20ish.

Google the software, it's a dead product line. Don't bother with a dealer.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Software runs fine on all NT versions of Windows in common use still (XP, 7, 10, 11) 32 or 64 bit.

Pretty straight forward little radios. I've never programmed them without a RIB but there are ribless and even (factory) USB cables out there. At this point most Motorola software is free from Motorola if they offer it to you. You may need to track down a wideband entitlement ID if the radio is going to require you to use R05.17NA or R05.18NA (R05.16NA was the last wideband selectable version). I even seem to remember reading and writing these radios via the 16 pin accessory connector via the CDM service cable (with the 20 pin to 16 pin adapter which I have since lost and am trying to find a new one for).

cspacone

I'm racking my brain on the one CM300 that I had to support that one time, and I am pretty sure that I didn't need my RIB kit with it. @jeepsandradios is spot on, as usual. I see compatible programming cables on the amazons and ebays for $20ish.

Google the software, it's a dead product line. Don't bother with a dealer.
Yeah, I looked for the software and all I find is stuff of questionable vintage / sourcing. Not going down that road just to make a piece of e-waste useful.

As for the dealer route, I just called 2 locals here in LA, one said flat out 'no, we don't deal with Hams' (and really, who can blame them). The other said sure, we'll program the radio for you for $20.00 per channel.

Looking more and more like my good deed pulling this off the e-waste pile just ended up transferring it to the e-waste pile in my garage!

Guys, thanks for helping me figure all of this out.

-Chris

clbsquared

Sell it. You can get $50-$80.00 for it in some of the FB groups. Add the shipping cost of $12.95 and you’ll pocket some money from your trash can find.

cspacone

I'd rather eat a **** sandwich than deal with Facebook, but thanks for the suggestion! I'll put it up on QRZ and give it to the first taker that is willing to pay the shipping.

Again guys, thank you all for your help.

-Chris

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Because dealing with hams QRZ is sooooo much better.... they are going to want you to give it them for free and pay the shipping and complain about it.. been there

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I use that commercial CPS on Win10 without an issue.. even the PRO CPS for waris

kvnmatheny

I have programmed a CM300 using the BlueMax49ers cable and R05.18NA offered on Mark's website. It worked perfectly, the first try.
I am still wading through the Motorola website trying to jump through all the various hoops to find and obtain the wideband firmware entitlement.
At this point, dealing with all the hoops, I now remember why I never had a Motorola radio for very long.
I believe this is my first post to the forum, although I have gleaned a ton of great info from this site over the years.
Thanks, all.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
In all fairness, the wideband thing is due to the FCC mandate. Legitimate radio manufacturers like MSI, L3 Harris, JVC Kenwood, Icom, Tait et al want to follow the rules. If you think MSI is difficult, try getting wideband on an L3 Harris radio. JVC Kenwood charges buckos for wideband licenses on KPG-DxN. MSI is actually one of the easiest.

Or, just by low rent Chinese garbage with roger beeps off Amazon and you get wide open radios!