• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cm300

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Steve, never mind trying to re-engineer the job..lol really I am as curious as you. I have a flash adapter in my bag, never used it. Some people do sell cables that will not do both, I was there once. You buy the cable, if it doesn't work as advertised I will give you your $$ back, and so will Vinnie. Double your $$. Can't go wrong.
I don't really need another cable. I have several plus the flash adapter and my own homebrew adapter. For now I only have one CM out there that I might have to reprogram some day. The dozen I had on my bench at one time are now cared for by someone else and not my worry.

The real issue is the folks who pop up here from time to time wondering why their cable won't do the CM200/CM300/PM400. Until I know the "how" of your cable, I think it's prudent for me to continue to offer the jumper 1 to 3 solution.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
How are you forcing the Commercial Series mobiles (CM200, CM300, & PM400) into programming mode? The service manual very plainly states that 9.3vdc from pin 1 has to be applied to Pin 3 to do this. (Page 6-6 of the Basic Service Manual which is detailed descriptions of each pin in the microphone connector.)
A CM/PM series cable is backwards compatible with Radius, Maxtrac, GM300, GTX, SM50/120 and 1225 as the pin the CM uses to force itself into programming mode are unused on the other mobiles or are protected by a diode.

Now on a Maratrac, pin 1 is VCC...and can supply enough current to cook something.

Here's some info.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/cm300-prgmg-cable.html

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
A CM/PM series cable is backwards compatible with Radius, Maxtrac, GM300, GTX, SM50/120 and 1225 as the pin the CM uses to force itself into programming mode are unused on the other mobiles or are protected by a diode.

Now on a Maratrac, pin 1 is VCC...and can supply enough current to cook something.

Here's some info.

Making a Programming Cable That Works With a CM300 Radio

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
That's a given, and not in question. I have all that and more in my files. The problem in this thread is that lifeisgoodoneasystreet is reporting that his Maxton cable does not have the jumper between 1 and 3 yet it programs the CM/PM radios just fine. The question is why and how.

cmdrwill

I have a resistor in my cable to limit the current on the program enable pin in the radio.

Excluding the cable I am talking about, the other cables I have for both cm and cdm do not have any jumper between 1 and 3. That's a given. I've seen different configurations of these from different aftermarket overseas companies and don't think any 2 are the same. I have a cable that will do cm/pm, has no jumper yet will not do a cdm. After you do this for 40+ years, you spend your time programming rather than trying to figure out Motorolas nonsense. Let's say not the most user friendly company. They are know for bad information, techs that are entry level and bad corporate moves. I worked for them for 25 years.
Best solution for me was purchase a couple of Vinnies' cables on Ebay and move on to the next ghost.
73's

I just looked at about 50 program cables for the cm series on Ebay. In ALL of the pics that allowed you to blow up there is NO jumper. They are all wired 2,4,5,and 6. Hmmmmm
Maybe I am missing something here.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at about 50 program cables for the cm series on Ebay. In ALL of the pics that allowed you to blow up there is NO jumper. They are all wired 2,4,5,and 6. Hmmmmm
Maybe I am missing something here.
I would not place a lot of faith in pics on Ebay listings. A lot of those sellers use the same stock photos for any cable with a USB & Chip at one end and an RJ-45 at the other.

It's still a mystery. I know I could not program a dozen units for a local town DPW until I added the jumper. Luckily, I have none to worry about at the moment.

On to more important and meaty matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.