Colorado State Patrol, Colorado Springs area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

Today "Airborne 3" of the Colorado State Patrol was using 154.905 156.7 Hz simplex while pacing vehicles and notifying ground units of speeding motorists at 9:30 AM. The pilot was observing traffic on I-25 near the north end of the Air Force Academy near MPM 159, north of West Baptist Road & south of Monument, CO. He had to leave around 10 AM due to five-six other planes which came within 200 yards of him, close enough "to read their tail numbers."

This is the first time I've heard radio traffic on 154.905 in the last two months. Another state allocated frq of 154.935 100.0 Hz is active daily in the Colorado Springs area with CSP units using this as a car to car channel.

One more state allocated frq of 155.46 MHz had a short conversation with P25 in use but I did not capture an NAC or what the traffic was about, it was also heard from Colorado Springs.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
That's CSP 3 statewide actually and a common VHF channel for air to ground speed traps. A good one I keep in priority in all the mobile scanners!

Jim<

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
That is actually very common in 2B/2D. Even though you're hearing the a/c on VHF, it is patched into a TAC channel. By patching the VHF to DTRS they avoid the problems (and ban) on aircraft using DTRS

Troop

Usually it's patched to a OPS # ch.....if not straight Simplex from plane to car

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I have a dumb question. How does the pilot run radar and fly the plane at the same time??

The plane doesn't use radar... They use a simple equation of how long it takes a vehicle to travel a pre-determined distance. Look for white strips on the side of the highway.

Warbirdhunter

The plane doesn't use radar... They use a simple equation of how long it takes a vehicle to travel a pre-determined distance. Look for white strips on the side of the highway.

Distance divided by time. The pilot uses a robic stopwatch and clocks the cars between 1/2 mile marks. The same timer is used for following to close violations by determining the gap time between two vehicles

VASCAR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.