Commercial grade antennas

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
What specific manufactures would you consider if you were going to install commercial grade antennas on a home / structure for each band segment.

• HF Bands
  • VHF Bands
  • UHF Bands
  • Microwave Bands
  • Satellite Bands

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
This is an overly broad question. There are many different types of antennas within each band category. To get any sort of meaningful answer,, you're going to need to be more specific. And are you looking at an antenna for Tx/Rx or just Tx or just Rx?

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
This is an overly broad question. There are many different types of antennas within each band category. To get any sort of meaningful answer,, you're going to need to be more specific. And are you looking at an antenna for Tx/Rx or just Tx or just Rx?
Looking for Rx/Tx antennas. I don't want to be pennie wise and dollar foolish on choosing a manufacture.

I understand that not every manufacture offers every type of antenna for every band segment. Don't want the 1st set of strong winds to destroy an antenna.

Have not decided on the type(s) of antennas - but probably a Yagi directional design for the HF.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What specific manufactures would you consider if you were going to install commercial grade antennas on a home / structure for each band segment.

• HF Bands

Depends on what you want. The type of HF antenna you need depends on what kind of communications you are doing? Long distance? NVIS? RX only?

• VHF Bands
  • UHF Bands

Lots of good commercial brands, although they can get -really- expensive, especially if you start looking at the higher end commercial repeater site type antennas. Very easy to spend $2K or more on a single antenna.
Laird makes some nice inexpensive commercial band antennas that are durable and affordable. Ran one on GMRS for many years.

• Microwave Bands

Depends on what you mean by "microwave" and what you are going to use to receive/decode that traffic.

• Satellite Bands

No idea, what Satellite stuff I do use is using some very specific antennas based on the service.

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what you want. The type of HF antenna you need depends on what kind of communications you are doing? Long distance? NVIS? RX only?
Mainly Long Distance at the start. (Tx/Rx)

Lots of good commercial brands, although they can get -really- expensive, especially if you start looking at the higher end commercial repeater site type antennas. Very easy to spend $2K or more on a single antenna.
Laird makes some nice inexpensive commercial band antennas that are durable and affordable. Ran one on GMRS for many years.
Thanks. I've seen Laird mentioned on other posts, I'll keep this on the list.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Looking for Rx/Tx antennas. I don't want to be pennie wise and dollar foolish on choosing a manufacture.

I understand that not every manufacture offers every type of antenna for every band segment. Don't want the 1st set of strong winds to destroy an antenna.
Thanks for clarifying things!

I can't make any considered recommendations on anything other than VHF/UHF antennas., and as @mmckenna said, some "tower quality" models can get pricey.

I'd start looking at Pulse-Larsen and Laird. Both are well established companies and offer a broad array of products and antenna mounting accessories. Now that The Antenna Farm seems to be back from hiatus, they're a good vendor to begin your browsing: Commercial Base Antennas | The Antenna Farm.

Brands to avoid (and many users here will concur) are Tram/Browning and any brand with a name you can't pronounce.

merlin

For HF,
I can only provide examples, and with most, you are going to need a lot of real estate.
My best performer was a 90 foot terminated tri folded dipole (T3FD). If you want 160 meters, this would be 200 foot.
Supported no less than 45 foot above ground. Power handeling limited by the wattage of the termination resistor and fed with open twin lead.
With a tuner, these are very broadband, covering full HF and usable on 6 meters. price for the antenna alone can run up to $1100
If you prefer a stearable Yagi, Start with a 65 foot guyed tower and put up a 5 band Mosley on a HAM-M rotor.
Options here can be a 1/2 wave inverted V, or a trapped dipole, or considder a vertical.
VHF and UHF have been reasonably suggested above.
Microwave covers 80% of the amateur spectrum and you are talking a 2 meter dish plus waveguides and feeds for any of the different segments. Pads and LNAs simplify such installation.
I get by with a 1.2 meter steerable with appropriate LNBs and pads.
For satellite work, it much depends which satellites. Frequency ranges typically from 136 MHz to 13 GHz
OSCAR is UHF uplink, VHF downlink and steerable antennas work best.

KF5LJW

The original company hasn't existed since 1992.
They are still around under the name DBSpectra and still make VHF/UHF antennas for repeater and trunking systems. I seriously doubt many, if any, hams would spend $2000 to $5000 on a VHF or UHF base antenna. They do not make dual-band antennas. They make two-port antennas vertically separated for repeaters and trunking systems with separate TX and RX antennas. For $8000, you can have one on your repeater systems.

rf_patriot200

They are still around under the name DBSpectra and still make VHF/UHF antennas for repeater and trunking systems. I seriously doubt many, if any, hams would spend $2000 to $5000 on a VHF or UHF base antenna. They do not make dual-band antennas. They make two-port antennas vertically separated for repeaters and trunking systems with separate TX and RX antennas. For $8000, you can have one on your repeater systems.
Holy Cats! Nope, not in my budget lol!

KF5LJW

OK for HF In would use a 3-30 MHz HY-GAIN model 2012AA Conical Monopole. It is a discone antenna design with very low takeoff angles with 4 dB of gain. SWR is no greater than 2:1 across the operating band of 3 to 30 MHz and capable of 50 KW PEP.

2012.jpg

prcguy

OK for HF In would use a 3-30 MHz HY-GAIN model 2012AA Conical Monopole. It is a discone antenna design with very low takeoff angles with 4 dB of gain. SWR is no greater than 2:1 across the operating band of 3 to 30 MHz and capable of 50 KW PEP.

View attachment 161381
It’s not a discone, it’s a conical monopole just as it says. A discone is a completely different type of antenna.

prcguy

I’m using a DB Products two port split 8-bay dipole array at my house for two separate repeater systems. What’s the big deal?

N-L-M

Premium Subscriber
How much room do you have? HF antennas that cover all the HF ham bands can be rather large.
I am not really sure at this point. If I mount on the home, then I would be much more limited to the size of a boom that could be used, as I would be more limited to height of the antenna.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am not really sure at this point. If I mount on the home, then I would be much more limited to the size of a boom that could be used, as I would be more limited to height of the antenna.

If space/size is a concern on HF, then you may want to look at either a small loop antenna, or a basic wire antenna.