County requires security clearance to operate ham radio Was: Dumb Question

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello all, I have a dumb question, a guy who just moved onto my island, lol said he wanted to use his ham radios as he is licensed, but the county demands a security clearance to use it.

so the dumb question is why is the county, san juan demanding a security clearance?

prcguy

You are in a U.S. jurisdiction and any licensed US amateur can operate there and local jurisdictions have no say in the matter except for HOA related issues or a few frequency restrictions between the US and Canada, eh. I have an amateur friend on nearby Whidbey Island and it’s the USA, he operates the same there as he does in his So Cal house.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I see two possible issues that may have lead to some misconceptions:

1. The amateur radio operator wants to lend his assistance to the county emergency management agency, but that agency requires a background check, aka security clearance, in order to participate with the county or enter county facilities.

2. The amateur radio operator wants to erect an antenna support structure, aka tower, and has run into development or land use ordinances that require him/her to obtain some sort of county-issued permit.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I see two possible issues that may have lead to some misconceptions:

1. The amateur radio operator wants to lend his assistance to the county emergency management agency, but that agency requires a background check, aka security clearance, in order to participate with the county or enter county facilities.

2. The amateur radio operator wants to erect an antenna support structure, aka tower, and has run into development or land use ordinances that require him/her to obtain some sort of county-issued permit.
I bet its #1. Looking into the area, there is a big EOC and amateur radio is part of that, atleast according to their EMA manual.

rescuecomm

The last county I was a volunteer responder for required a background check, a credit check, and driving records for prior 7 years. It was basically the same as a job application. Even the RACES volunteers had to do it. I heard some guys said it was too much trouble. Anyone who works in a county EOC needs an ID card these days for the DHS.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't think "NIMS/ICS" certifies people. Many auxiliary communications groups do require proof of completion of certain NIMS/ICS courses.
You're right. I received my NIMS, etc. training and I was provided with proof that the various courses were completed satisfactorily, period. There was no mention of being "certified." They did their job and sent me packing.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
One may take NIMS/ICS coursework and it is required for the position. Call it certification, qualification, or busy work... it is required for some volunteers.

QED.

a417

One may take NIMS/ICS coursework and it is required for the position. Call it certification, qualification, or busy work... it is required for some volunteers.

QED.
Sure, when you conflate everything and try to whitewash it.

Recieving a certificate does not mean certification. Certifications & Licensure usually comes from boards or certifying agencies, and thussly can be rescinded. FEMA is not a certifying agency in those regards, it provides training and 'proof of completion' in certificate form.

Ever know someone to get their low level NIMS certificate formally rescinded? I'll wait.

Last edited:

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
You don’t need a security clearance regardless of where you live. Especially the county requiring it. The county will have no idea that you have one. What if you live on a military base and use a PO box? I lived on and been on lots of military bases. Had antennas all over my truck, never have been questioned. If anyone is going to passing sensitive military info around they won’t do it on a ham radio. The internet is much more useful for that. Remember you can contact a heck of a lot of more around the word using encrypted internet apps then you can with ham radio. So then I guess if you an internet app you should be required to get a security clearance?

This is the most likely reason.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What if you live on a military base and use a PO box? I lived on and been on lots of military bases. Had antennas all over my truck, never have been questioned.

Never had an issue with my radios on base, either. Shipboard radio use is a different thing. Since we don't have any specifics from the OP, people are going to share their own personal experiences.