Culver City, CA PD (Trunked "Main" PD1) Now Encrypted? December 2023?

BoboPinky

Hello Forum Members. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm the current status of CCPD main (trunked) dispatch frequency?

I am a local CC resident and have "monitored" CCPD / FD / Loc Govt etc. for decades, since well before the Trunked days, and as far back as crystal scanners.

I don't listen ALL the time, but do often. Today (December 2, 2023) for several hours and continuing still, the main dispatch "PD" frequency (Channel) will have a "busy tone" from time to time, and never any actual voice audio. FD and Local Govt (busses, etc.) are still heard. Has CCPD gone "encrypted"?????

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I’m assuming by the busy tone you are using a whistler scanner. Then yes it’s encrypted.

BoboPinky

I’m assuming by the busy tone you are using a whistler scanner. Then yes it’s encrypted.
Well a GRECOM, but yes now Whistler.

Well then, now after 40 years my need / want for a scanner is pretty much over with. Wanna buy a PRS-800?

I'm guessing it went encrypted on December 1st, the other day? I know (?) I was listening just 5 days ago?

Well, having "volunteered" with not only CCPD but the LA Sheriff now MANY years ago as an Explorer, I do understand why a department / city would want to go encrypted. Heck if WE can listen, so can those that would flagrantly use the info to help commit crimes. But at the same time it is also unfortunate.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
They seem to be operating on Police 2 (TG 2384) which has long been ENC.

2383 the normal Dispatch channel has not had any activity for the last few hours as I monitor the Culver City sites control channel.

StephanBH

Premium Subscriber
"Yes, the Culver City Police dispatch channel is in the process of migrating to encryption to fall in compliance with new legislative mandates. The department gave careful consideration on balancing transparency and compliance with the law. This move is aligned with many of our partnering agencies who have already made the transition to encryption. The Culver City Police Department has led the way in transparency reporting with our Quarterly Report that details reported crime, arrests, and a significant amount of detail on department activity. You can find the most recent edition here : https://www.culvercitypd.org/files/assets/police/v/1/documents/monthly-reports/2023-quarter-3.pdf"