Custom Console 2004 Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JETSEMT-P

hey looks sweet!

May i ask....on your ic208H how come the backlighting is blue?? on mine it is only green, yellow or amber...

Backlight on 208H is amber. I guess some of the pics on angle just gave it a bluish tint. Thanks everyone for the comments!

Julian1

Ford Explorer - Orion Radio

Sir,

I have seen some great installs the last couple of years on this forum.

You may have the best ever. So professionally done.

Hopefully less than 10-yrs from retirement. You have done what I hope to for my "retirement wagon". Radios-ham-scanner-lights, just something to get me to my 911 comm job or storm spotting.

Congratulations on an outstanding piece of work. Saaaa-LOOT !

JETSEMT-P

Thanks for the post! I really appreciate that. I am definitely happy with the setup. I am considering adding a scanner in the mix for trunk tracking when I take trips, etc. But with 2 dual bands (one user-programmable) I usually hear about all I could hope for!

Thanks again for the awesome comments!

(My son's name, by the way, is Julian.)

73's!

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
(You would be surprised how hard it was to find something!)

Actually, I'm not surprised...I think most of us have been on that 'hunt' for the perfect item...we all feel your pain! A marine battery box you say? Hmmm, I'll jot that down for some good ABS plastic when the time comes. Thanks!

Sweet lookin' ride! Your camera makes me feel like I'm slightly ETOH, though! I give it 5 stars!

Tracker

Look good Jet.....great use of space!
I had n 03' expy n that "hole" on the console always bothered me...

Are you EMS......or FIRE.....or both?
Also, what's your longest/farthest run......more or less? City or rural?
Just curious.....

Last edited:

PACNWDude

I know your pain on finding some crinkle finish black plastic that matches or complements a vehicle interior. In a previous job, I installed equipment into vessels and high end vehicles for emergency communications. These were used by VIP's and politicians around the world, they had to look nice.

I never used a battery box for the plastic, but it does make good sense. Battery boxes work well because they are made to withstand the temperatures found under the hood. They are made to contain acid from the battery for a short time if they leak, and do this while protecting the battery and looking nice.

I had to go to specialty plastic dealers to get sheets of high density black plastic. 4x8 foot sheets, and then cut it down like plywood. Very expensive, looks nice, but the same material as the battery box. Unless you have a couple dozen vehicles to do installs on, it is not economical. Auction sites sometimes have remnants though for those that may need it down the road.

Good job on the install. Looks nice and is probably very functional.

JETSEMT-P

Thanks guys. Sorry so long on the replies. I'm Fire/EMS/LEO. Currently the Dep. Coroner and FF/Paramedic. Longest running prob close to 50 miles. I cover pretty large county. I have full set of blue and full set of red that operate independently. EMS/Fire is only allowed to run red in Alabama. Police is blue, so I had to I stall them where I could run only red if on Fire/EMS calls. The 4 red switches control the lights. The 1st switch is Master switch for all lights. 2nd is clears and hideaways only, 3rd is Reds only, 4th switch is blues only. I'll be changing everything shortly. In the market for a Tahoe PPV and will be swapping everything over.

Tracker

Wow Jet, you wear allot of hats ......must keep busy.......I aume!
Please be carful running those lights n siren calls.........they don't see marked units, so you bein unmarked......well imagine.......
Departments loose more personnel in traffic crashes that any other sorta accident.....

Stimpy911

May I ask how you went about connecting everything to power? I am working on my very first install. My thought is to run power from the battery (fused) to the switch box. Hook all my lights to that. However, I'm not sure how add multiple lights to one switch. Example all rear or all front on one switch.

For my 2m yaesu and my siren I thought about setting up a power distribution box so that I can add future equipment. I am still trying to learn all of that.

Any tips on your install would be great!

JETSEMT-P

I put in a fused power distribution block under the console. Ran my main power from the battery through a 50A relay. I traced a fuse in the fuse box that only comes on when my truck is cranked and ran the control wire to the relay from that. That way my accessories only operate when the key is on so I have no power drain an a dead battery. On your switch box I would recommend splitting the front and back. That way you can operate the rear independently. There are a lot of times where all you need is rear lights when sitting on scene, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.