DEA on CBP frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Dea/cbp

We've installed several dual-band XTL5000 mobiles in DEA vehicles in Central Florida. UHF for DEA, VHF for CBP/ICE, although the agents claim they don't use them much.

Larry

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
What you heard was most likely the border area HIDTA (High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area) task force.
HIDTA task forces are the largest and best funded federal task forces in the nation. They are comprised of federal agents mainly from DEA, ICE, and IRS and a lot of local major narcotics detectives who all cross sworn as federal task force agents. State national guards are also part of nearly every HIDTA and provide operational support and equipment to these task forces such as communications, dont be surprised if military band comms are used. see this link regarding national guard : Counterdrug Task Force, Appalachia HIDTA, Tennessee National Guard
It really depends on the area for what they use in communication. Many east coast HIDTA's use DEA UHF or local narcotics freq's. Many times nextel is also used.
As far as air support goes on the border, ICE is used a lot so you will their freq's used.

You can read up on HIDTA here: Office of National Drug Control Policy -- High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas
They target only the higher levels of international drug trafficking and often spend years just to make one single case.

A few local HIDTA pages are here: Mission Statement
Lake County HIDTA
Home
Inside the DEA, DEA Programs, HIDTAs
Chicago HIDTA
National HIDTA Assistance Center
GC-HIDTA Home Page

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
We've installed several dual-band XTL5000 mobiles in DEA vehicles in Central Florida. UHF for DEA, VHF for CBP/ICE, although the agents claim they don't use them much.

Larry

Nextel is used very often in these task forces.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
If the surveillance is still active then yes, Larry has every right to withhold that info plus it's against the rules to post freqs about an active surveillance. I made my comment thinking it was over with.

As much as some of you guys want to think RR is a small, hidden world on the internet, it's not when you do Google searches. Criminals are much more radio savvy than they used to be.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
The Mexican Drug Cartels are pulling in 15 to 25 billion a year according to DEA...that's more than the defense and police budgets of ALL Latin American countries combined. These cartels have extensive intelligence networks and vast knowledge of things we discuss on here. Its not uncommon in Mexico for the cartels to transmit music over the police TETRA radio system after killing a police officer just to rub it in. The only comms they cant bust into down there are the military comms we give to their military...one reason the Mexican military has had some success.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
The Mexican Drug Cartels are pulling in 15 to 25 billion a year according to DEA...that's more than the defense and police budgets of ALL Latin American countries combined. These cartels have extensive intelligence networks and vast knowledge of things we discuss on here. Its not uncommon in Mexico for the cartels to transmit music over the police TETRA radio system after killing a police officer just to rub it in. The only comms they cant bust into down there are the military comms we give to their military...one reason the Mexican military has had some success.

This is so true procopper7005. The latest figures I have seen put it at 30 to 50 billion a year. Most top secret surveillance teams use frequency hopping radios. By itself, frequency hopping provides only limited protection against eavesdropping and jamming. To get around this weakness most agencies frequency hopping radios (Bendix-King, Harris, Thales Racal, Have Quick II phase 2, Saturn) often employ separate encryption devices such as Saville, Baton, SHA-2 and AES-256. These radios cannot be detected by doing a RF sweep using a spectrum analyzer and provide great secure communications.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
This is so true procopper7005. The latest figures I have seen put it at 30 to 50 billion a year. Most top secret surveillance teams use frequency hopping radios. By itself, frequency hopping provides only limited protection against eavesdropping and jamming. To get around this weakness most agencies frequency hopping radios (Bendix-King, Harris, Thales Racal, Have Quick II phase 2, Saturn) often employ separate encryption devices such as Saville, Baton, SHA-2 and AES-256. These radios cannot be detected by doing a RF sweep using a spectrum analyzer and provide great secure communications.

In 2010 the US gave 400 million in funding to the Mexican military....I could outfit one hell of a shack with that!

jf4164

Two nights ago--12/14/2010--DHS/ICE was very active in West Palm Beach area on 164.9625--simplex. They were in vehicles headed for a park that has boat access from the Intercoastal Waterway.

This was around 2000 hrs local.

Once they got there all went silent.

Last night--around 0100 hrs--164.775 was active with two airborne units checking for a vessel headed towards South Florida.....

N8IAA

I truly love how this thread was hijacked from what I originally posted. Posts 25 through 30 have nothing to do with what I was monitoring. Just amazing:roll: The surveillance ended last week. Oh, by the way, the frequency was CPB Net 1. Lot's of bad guys arrested.
Larry

Last edited:

ecps92

Analog or P25 ? and the Tone?

Two nights ago--12/14/2010--DHS/ICE was very active in West Palm Beach area on 164.9625--simplex. They were in vehicles headed for a park that has boat access from the Intercoastal Waterway.

This was around 2000 hrs local.

Once they got there all went silent.

Last night--around 0100 hrs--164.775 was active with two airborne units checking for a vessel headed towards South Florida.....

ecps92

Thanks Phil, I ask because much up here in the Northeast has migrated to P25 and the NAC will vary on some of the obscure TAC/NET's from the standard CBP $301 when ICE is using a channel vs BP

It's always helpful for folks to indicate the Tones with postings.

I always use as an example 166.4625 when we had a Surv a few years ago and had P25 and analog with $001, $301 and 100.0 and CSQ all in use and everyone could not talk to each other :)

Both of those are CBP, Bill. PL 100.0. TAC-21 and NET-16. This stuff is always going on here in FL.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Heard them last week here in Oklahoma in a couple of mobiles on simples tailing someone then they were out of range did not hear the outcome,

Status
Not open for further replies.