Deschutes County P25 System Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki7fk

Thanks for pointing that out ScanRite. The 800 MHz freqs certainly did not make any sense to me. Curious that you are seeing the same thing in DSD.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
The frequencies are referenced as 0-121, 0-79, etc. On 800mhz, these map out to specific 800mhz freqs.
0-231 is 856.7625, but on 700mhz it's 770.44375. Using the same numbering scheme for two different base freqs doesn't seem very smart.

ki7fk

Audio of testing

I am seeing a couple of TGID's on the P25 system today. They are 9021 and 9031. I have attached a zip file of sample audio during the testing of both the Deschutes and the OSRP system in Central Oregon for those that are curious of what it sounds like. Of course, some of it will be unintelligible.

Attachments

• Deschutes and OSRPTesting.zip
    116.4 KB · Views: 28

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I've grabbed so far:

9000 "DC911 - Testing 9000"
9001 "DC911 - Testing 9001"
9010 "DC911 - Testing 9010"
9011 "DC911 - Testing 9011"
9021 "DC911 - Testing 9021"
9022 "DC911 - Testing 9022"
9024 "DC911 - Testing 9024"
9029 "DC911 - Testing 9029"
9031 "DC911 - Encrypted Testing 9031"
9032 "DC911 - Encrypted Testing 9032"
9033 "DC911 - Encrypted Testing 9033"
9034 "DC911 - Encrypted Testing 9034"
9036 "DC911 - Encrypted Testing 9036"
9041 "DC911 - Testing 9041"
9107 "DC911 - Testing 9107"
9116 "DC911 - Testing 9116"
9232 "DC911 - Testing 9232"
9242 "DC911 - Testing 9242"
9894 "DC911 - Testing 9894"
9895 "DC911 - Testing 9895"
9896 "DC911 - Testing 9896"
9897 "DC911 - Testing 9897"
9898 "DC911 - Testing 9898 - Announcement Group"
9905 "DC911 - Testing 9905"
9915 "DC911 - Testing 9915"
9917 "DC911 - Testing 9917"

I saw you at 27th and Neff a couple of days ago. I came up behind you coming from Costco. :)

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Looks like their channel mapping is partially fixed. I'm on "24 - Powell Butte" and I'm seeing neighbor 100 showing channel ID 1-141 (instead of 0-141), with 857.7625 as the correct frequency.

Neighbor 104 is still incorrect, showing a 700mhz instead of 800mhz freq.

Baker845

To Citizens that follow the laws its a big safety concern not being able to hear Law enforcement. Not being able to hear Law enforcement and hold then accountable is also a big safety concern to Citizens. I'm also not big fan of these on line scanner feeds. Its the one big reason why Law enforcement agencies are moving to encrypt there systems.

Last edited:

ki7fk

The only thing that may change the current mind-set will be Letters To The Editor of local newspapers and social media as well as calls or messages to the local elected officials.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I don't believe it! There is some good news in this:

Public safety radio calls will all be digital now, and will be streamed on a singular website on a 30-minute delay.

I think this can help the accountability aspect, but it will be a hindrance to those in the professional media who want to get to a story ASAP and before it's over (they should be leased authorized radios), to those who want to avoid coming upon an active incident, and to those who want to help law enforcement by reporting something they see or know that's related to what they hear on the scanner.

30 minutes seems a bit excessive, but I can understand for the rural areas where officers are sparse and the area huge leading to longer response times.

Last edited:

Baker845

That's still big safety concern to Citizens. I can understand having Talk groups encrypted for SWAT/SERT or chat Tgs, but making all law channels encrypted for "officer safety'' is poor reason. Portland is good template others should use. They encrypted all there SWAT/SERT and x-ray talk groups, but left disp and others that have low risk traffic in the clear.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
That's still big safety concern to Citizens. I can understand having Talk groups encrypted for SWAT/SERT or chat Tgs, but making all law channels encrypted for "officer safety'' is poor reason. Portland is good template others should use. They encrypted all there SWAT/SERT and x-ray talk groups, but left disp and others that have low risk traffic in the clear.

My guess would be that they're worried that someone in a routine incident that's not set up on a different channel will be listening and use the real-time info to either get ahead of or go at officers.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
That's still big safety concern to Citizens. I can understand having Talk groups encrypted for SWAT/SERT or chat Tgs, but making all law channels encrypted for "officer safety'' is poor reason.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but why?

Outside of my circle of monitoring friends, I don't know a single person who is into police/fire/whatever monitoring, whether in my professional or personal life. Most think it's weird or should be illegal.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Seriously B, you have a WIDE group of friends/acquaintances who are into the hobby. Your statement is like a politician saying," outside of my political party, I don't know anyone who;s interested in making illegal money while in the process of screwing up government and failing constituents". I mean really. There are people out there who mistakenly believe it is, or should be illegal. There are also people who say we should not be able to buy any fountain drink over 16 oz! There are people who believe the 2nd Amendment should be repealed. Those who think all cars should be off of the road and only public transportation. People who believe in plastic bags being banned. People who want to burn the flag and don't see any problems. I'm not sure what your point is except it's fair to say you are in favor of "end-to-end" encryption. Certainly your prerogative, just as Baker845 has his. As I'm sure you are aware (thru intercept) our county here just switched to P25 and encrypted all LE TGs. I agree with Baker845, there are appropriate TGs for that but it doesn't belong on Dispatch. My reasons are more interop oriented, per issues such as happened during Katrina with all sorts of incompatible systems. Yes, the Feds drop in a package, but remember there, it came really delayed. You can have several counties on similar systems, but when the crap hits the cieling (9.0 quake?) help will have to come from outside.

ki7fk

Many People don't have clue about why this topic is so important.

Which is why those who know something about it need to spread the word and help educate the rest of the community. Ignorance is not bliss....

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Wow. Breathe.

Seriously B, you have a WIDE group of friends/acquaintances who are into the hobby

And I have a much wider group that isn't, running the gamut from medical doctors to mechanics, attorneys to aardvark keepers (seriously, she works in a zoo). I've yet to meet one who was in favor of the scanning hobby. See also: https://forums.radioreference.com/o...g-public-access-police-radio.html#post2029530

<snip for brevity>

I'm not sure what your point is except it's fair to say you are in favor of "end-to-end" encryption. Certainly your prerogative, just as Baker845 has his.

That's the longest stretch since...someone stretched really far. I'm not at all in favor of it, and, since my agency has transitioned to a new Phase-2 system and will be rolling out the big 'E', I've been vociferously arguing against it. It's nice for some things, but not right for day-to-day use.

As I'm sure you are aware (thru Intercept) our county here just switched to P25 and encrypted all LE TGs.

I was aware months prior to it coming online, and I voiced my objections then. I still think it's ludicrous.

My reasons are more interop oriented, per issues such as happened during Katrina with all sorts of incompatible systems. Yes, the Feds drop in a package, but remember there, it came really delayed. You can have several counties on similar systems, but when the crap hits the cieling (9.0 quake?) help will have to come from outside.

That argument was in vogue 10-15 years ago, but today it doesn't cut the yellow spicy stuff. Nearly every agency I know of that uses encryption shares mutual aid freqs or TGID keys with neighbors on the same or disparate systems...or bands.

Even places that refuse to share keys retain mutual aid TGIDs or frequencies. I used to work for another LE agency that was fully AES-encrypted. We had several zones in our radios that held things like LERN, MARS, NLECS and OPEN, among others, even down to WA and OR DNR repeaters. With multiband radios it's easier. Pierce County, for example, has tons of encrypted stuff on 700mhz, but still retains a ton of analog, clear freqs for interoperability. They also share keys with local agencies on the same system or adjoining systems, and have shared, encrypted TGIDs with others. Most places make serious use of the NIFOG or TICFOG (that link may or may not work).

My new Phase-2 system has a zone of VHF analog stuff like V-Call, V-Tac, etc for interops...and we use it.

Baker845

I guess we see how all these encrypted systems work when there's a major event. Go ask new Orleans how there old state of the art encrypted system worked when they had a major natural disaster, called Katrina. If i recall the system failed. But i guess we have interop channels to fall back on if the state of the art encrypted radio system fails. Everyone for encrypted systems always have excuse to justify the need. I just have safety concerns when Citizens can't listen to there public servants and keep them accountable.

check this link out its sums it up well what i'm saying.
https://forums.radioreference.com/community-announcements-news/356113-encryption-editorial.html

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Katrina knocked down some of the towers and destroyed the backup generators for a bunch more. Also, IIRC, it wasn't encrypted; it was an EDACS system. I can't recall what kind of radio was thrust into my hands when I arrived there, but it wasn't Moto.

Also, link for your reading pleasure.

It's sad to me when people trot out the accountability argument. Less than what, 5% of the population is monitoring? There are no legions of Uniden-clutching hobbyists holding the Gestapo at bay. If people truly believe the only way to force accountability and transparency is via their scanners, they need to wake up.

Anyhow, anyone hearing new stuff on this system?

Baker845

I Haven't seem any info on this system. anyone know if this radio system is part of the Oregon state wide system?

Status
Not open for further replies.