Disney Cruise Line Bans Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayAir

So you allow these people to search your luggage?? By what right?

Your main luggage is carted off by a bellhop type service before you even get on the boat.
It doesn't get on with you. So there's no telling what kind of checks it is subjected to.

You basically submit to screening by booking the cruise just as you submit before you board an aircraft. Either agree or don't go. It's a simple concept.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have not seen a "sickness" outbreak in the news for a while so the plan must be working. :roll:

They just dump the bodies overboard and nobody can radio home for help. Same with Space Mountain you die on that ride and they send you through the pneumatic trash tube to a land fill in Reedy Creek.

APX7500X2

Give this guy a break, He may have never gone on a cruise, or flown, or to a concert, or a sporting event, or court, or a goverment building or any of the other thousands of places where they have every right to search you and your belongings LOL

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Since 9/11, much of our privacy has gone by the wayside.

However, if your medical budget is a little thin, you might be able to get a complete physical examination at the airport.

com501

Give this guy a break, He may have never gone on a cruise, or flown, or to a concert, or a sporting event, or court, or a goverment building or any of the other thousands of places where they have every right to search you and your belongings LOL

I fly via private jet. I don't get searched at courthouses or Government buildings, either.

I do not place myself in jeopardy by going to concerts or other public events. It's just not a prudent thing to do.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks

By the same right that TSA searches your luggage before boarding an airplane. They want to make sure people are not smuggling booze, weapons, or anything else illegal onto their ship. When you tell them they can not search your luggage, they will tell you that you can not board their ship.

Thanks to all of you,you saved me lots of money that wont ever get spent on Disney or Caribeaan Cruises,no radios,no fun!I appreciate your posts.Booze,I think drinking should be allowed too.You want to take away weapons for safety,thats in the public's interest.All the rest is greed.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Radios aside, I'd likely never spend money on a "Disney brand canned vacation®"

I think the "canned" aspect may be something of a draw for some. They know what to expect for themselves and, of course, the children.

Given a choice, I'd rather fly to my destination. That gives me more time there.

canav844

OK, let's put aside the transmitters (ham, FRS, etc). Why ban receivers like AM/FM/SW? Also, Disney is not charging to use their digital comms system, so there is no $$$ incentive to ban HTs.

Just because you're not nickel and dimed for it doesn't mean it's free. Disney has lots of accountants that make sure every service on their ship and in their parks is paid for and then some, you just get the cost passed along in other ways.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the "canned" aspect may be something of a draw for some. They know what to expect for themselves and, of course, the children.

Given a choice, I'd rather fly to my destination. That gives me more time there.

I agree. The "total immersion" marketing scheme is scary. When my sister was in college she worked at one of the Disney stores in the mall. She said it was kind of creepy.

On the other hand, I prefer to drive, as they say, "getting there is half the fun". To be fair, these Disney cruises are round trips, often with a stop over at a Disney resort, just to make sure they get all your disposable income and a bit extra.

SCPD

QRT
Disney

I'm sure there's a tear in Mickey's eye.

Yeah right...Mickey must be a mab boss because $8.95 for a darn Root beer float is highway robbery in my eyes,last time I go to Disney World thats the price it was $7.50 for a slice of Pizza.Thats a good deal.
I realize the park has operating costs,but come on!Back probably 8 years ago wonder what it is now....
Then they have Fast Pass if you want to ride more rides faster,they hit you in the wallet for that too.
Ships ahoy,heck they could charge you a ship Listener's fee or charge per radio on the cruise.

Attachments

• ollywood-Scoops-Hard-Root-Beer-Float-July-2016-3-463x600.jpg
    ollywood-Scoops-Hard-Root-Beer-Float-July-2016-3-463x600.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah right...Mickey must be a mab boss because $8.95 for a darn Root beer float is highway robbery in my eyes,last time I go to Disney World thats the price it was $7.50 for a slice of Pizza.Thats a good deal.
I realize the park has operating costs,but come on!Back probably 8 years ago wonder what it is now....
Then they have Fast Pass if you want to ride more rides faster,they hit you in the wallet for that too.
Ships ahoy,heck they could charge you a ship Listener's fee or charge per radio on the cruise.

Have you been to a professional sports game lately?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No how much is a beer and a hotdog?Do they allow scanners?

A beer and a hotdog will cost you somewhere between $15 and $20.
Not sure about scanners, but they do absolutely search bags. That's based off a Padres game last year in San Diego.

Don't forget about tickets, parking, etc.

As for scanners, it usually comes down to how low key you are. If you can get it in the gate.

paulears

Bit late to the party - but you really don't know ships, even before the current terrorist situation.

Going into the docks with a vehicle needs passes, getting to the quay needs a pass and then when the security people see a soft bag in amongst the flight cases, they stop. "what's that?" That's the singers clothes. Ah sorry, that means we can't unload - you have to join the passenger queue at the terminal, so every single flight case then gets opened, emptied and inspected. We have plenty of radio mic and monitor systems which have to be inspected (by non-technical people) and my Icom scanner - which we use to check our radio channels was frowned at, but I said it was part of our technical kit, and allowed on. I actually found that ships comms are frustrating, if I wanted to listen, so after a few hours curiosity, I didn't bother. The Faraday cages, that are what make up these ships makes range a real problem, with many ship wide services being very local, per frequency, and hardly anything interesting goes on apart from security, which use digital radios now. The operating crew - the sailors, if you like, still use marine VHF but I found the content dul in the extreme. Most traffic you will find concerns the housekeeping side of things - and chambermaids, bar workers, stock, spillages and toilets. Never found anything interesting.

If you do take a scanner - the theatres can be interesting if you like how shows run - all analogue, with digits only just creeping in. Bands a mix of American and EU epending on the cruise line.

One thing concerning security - the ship's master is God. Your ticket conditions allow them to drop you off in a foreign port on the quayside if they wish - and nothing you can do about it. They share passenger details of troublesome guests and do the same with crew. Get banned on one cruise line and you'll find you are blacklisted very quickly in the cruise business. Your life on the cruise ship revolves around your credit card, so if they don't like you they simply don't accept it as payment - credit cards are NOT authorised on a transaction by transaction basis at sea - and updated in port when comms is connected, so they are used to people running up tabs and then having issues collecting - so have great systems to stop people abusing credit cards. Read the terms and conditions you agree to. Money and security - behaviour and attitude are all there. Following orders is in there too. At sea, they can do what they life to maintain the safety of the vessel.

People who cruise a lot like the results of this - some new cruisers cannot accept having rules.

The crew are not allowed to drink alcohol. It's in the contracts, yet they have a crew mess with cheap booze prices. It gives the cruise line a big lever. Everyone breaks the rules, so when they do something properly silly, the cruise company can eject them without any issues or complaints process as they'd have on land.

If you are single and chat up one of the entertainment or catering staff, they can be fired - fraternisation is detailed in scaring detail. It goes on of course, but loads get fired - usually just as the ship docks in some out of the way country. They keep the passports, so a foreigner abroad without a passport gives them plenty of capability to be strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.