• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does anyone still use cb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckford

583 Duckford waving from North Dakota!

Lot of good talk on this thread. Lots of good points, so not much to even hardly add, but I'll try.

I live in depopulated nowhere, where the nearest 2 meter repeaters are 65 and 70 miles from my location. My county might still have around five licensed Ham operators. I'm enjoying CB which I really got into last year with a bunch of kit, and so far a mighty whopping TWO random truckers on my base station, and one on my mobile. The first time I got a passing trucker on my base station I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say, and after a radio check kinda thanked him and ended it, even though I think he may have wanted to talk. Yes, for local traffic you have to try hard and CQ, and be prepared to strike out a lot.

Locally, it is something that everyone, like so many other places, refers to as dead compared to the glory days.

But, being in the middle of absolute nowhere, and with good ground conductivity and living in the hills overlooking the plains, I have little electric noise and a good place to shoot skip. With some ferrites and grounding, I've got my noise to the point it won't even get above 1 S unit on 11 and 10 meter. When skip has rolled in, I've made some fun QRP contacts up to 1,000 miles away, and just made Jamaica yesterday on 38 SSB. Yes, I do also troll 10 meter with my Technician license.... but the action is always heavy on CB when the skip starts to roll!

So I think there is a valuable point about CB and Ham. I've heard others say it, and I'm doing it myself, sneaking back over to CB when the skip is hot because that's where the action is. You get sick of the some of the characters on CB and some of the antics, but you also get to enjoy some of the "unique" folks and a lot of the laid back attitude.

Otherwise, it was my choice for personal license free communication with friends and family. Doing radio tests locally, and with full size antenna, having great results, in the hills up here where cell phones don't work everywhere.....

Which is the last point I'd hit on after it has already been noted, antenna. Most poor performance is from lazy or uneducated folks who just think it is plug in and play tech. NO SWR tests. And even if they do, they want convenient little compromise antennas, and often put them on bad spots on the vehicle and castrate their performance. They take an HF frequency and use the stubbiest antenna possible and then are surprised when the RX and TX are terrible. Not their fault for not knowing. VHF/UHF wins mostly from the fact people will use a full 1/4 antenna with those bandwiths, and not for CB. Not just power limitations (which are, as we all know, completely made up and don't exist on CB).

Those of us who still run base, and back when base stations were popular, all know what those 4 little watts of carrier can do, and that CB isn't as gutless as many today seem to think.....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
C.B. is amazingly quiet in S.E. Michigan/Northern Macomb County. I've been scanning it for about a week with a little activity on CH-6 from a distance, not locally. I tried to get a couple local buddies to get interested again but no go. Same with GMRS in my area. 2-Meter amateur radio not much better. Radio is not dead but it sure isn't what it used to be. Seems people just can't put their cell phones down for a second. :rolleyes:

slowmover

583 Duckford waving from North Dakota!

Lot of good talk on this thread. Lots of good points, so not much to even hardly add, but I'll try.

I live in depopulated nowhere, where the nearest 2 meter repeaters are 65 and 70 miles from my location. My county might still have around five licensed Ham operators. I'm enjoying CB which I really got into last year with a bunch of kit, and so far a mighty whopping TWO random truckers on my base station, and one on my mobile. The first time I got a passing trucker on my base station I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say, and after a radio check kinda thanked him and ended it, even though I think he may have wanted to talk. Yes, for local traffic you have to try hard and CQ, and be prepared to strike out a lot.

Locally, it is something that everyone, like so many other places, refers to as dead compared to the glory days.

But, being in the middle of absolute nowhere, and with good ground conductivity and living in the hills overlooking the plains, I have little electric noise and a good place to shoot skip. With some ferrites and grounding, I've got my noise to the point it won't even get above 1 S unit on 11 and 10 meter. When skip has rolled in, I've made some fun QRP contacts up to 1,000 miles away, and just made Jamaica yesterday on 38 SSB. Yes, I do also troll 10 meter with my Technician license.... but the action is always heavy on CB when the skip starts to roll!

So I think there is a valuable point about CB and Ham. I've heard others say it, and I'm doing it myself, sneaking back over to CB when the skip is hot because that's where the action is. You get sick of the some of the characters on CB and some of the antics, but you also get to enjoy some of the "unique" folks and a lot of the laid back attitude.

Otherwise, it was my choice for personal license free communication with friends and family. Doing radio tests locally, and with full size antenna, having great results, in the hills up here where cell phones don't work everywhere.....

Which is the last point I'd hit on after it has already been noted, antenna. Most poor performance is from lazy or uneducated folks who just think it is plug in and play tech. NO SWR tests. And even if they do, they want convenient little compromise antennas, and often put them on bad spots on the vehicle and castrate their performance. They take an HF frequency and use the stubbiest antenna possible and then are surprised when the RX and TX are terrible. Not their fault for not knowing. VHF/UHF wins mostly from the fact people will use a full 1/4 antenna with those bandwiths, and not for CB. Not just power limitations (which are, as we all know, completely made up and don't exist on CB).

Those of us who still run base, and back when base stations were popular, all know what those 4 little watts of carrier can do, and that CB isn't as gutless as many today seem to think.....

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.