dsd audio

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I have buggered up my computer and I am at a loss. I can't get decoded audio out of DSD+.
I can monitor SDR# audio when I select monitor input audio. DSD+ decodes properly, everything
seems correct but no conversations gets to the speakers. This using dsd+ and vbcable, fmpa and dsd+
using tcp works. I have headphones selected on the command line at the bottom of the screen.
I know read the manual, I've read and looked at videos but I am missing that little setting and I
can't find it. Again this is only with vbcable, I have removed them and restarted them, no help.
This worked for years with no problem, Confused, help;

Mil

Just checked and I can copy cw using a RSP2 into HDSDR into MULTISPK via vbcable. Assuming its
my DSD+ setup?

Attachments

• audio1.JPG
    audio1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
  • audio2.JPG
    audio2.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 8
  • dsd1_running.JPG
    dsd1_running.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 8
  • dsd2_running.JPG
    dsd2_running.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 5
  • dsd3_running_mon.JPG
    dsd3_running_mon.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
  • sdr1.JPG
    sdr1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

jhsands

Feed Provider
This is for VAC, so see if there is something similar for VB-AUDIO.
Volume control in the VAC control panel.

1707242507139.png

Then you can adjust the "main volume" is speaker out, which actually increased the recording volume, also.
1707242563560.png

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I have buggered up my computer and I am at a loss. I can't get decoded audio out of DSD+.
I can monitor SDR# audio when I select monitor input audio. DSD+ decodes properly, everything
seems correct but no conversations gets to the speakers. This using dsd+ and vbcable, fmpa and dsd+
using tcp works. I have headphones selected on the command line at the bottom of the screen.
I know read the manual, I've read and looked at videos but I am missing that little setting and I
can't find it. Again this is only with vbcable, I have removed them and restarted them, no help.
This worked for years with no problem, Confused, help;

Mil

Just checked and I can copy cw using a RSP2 into HDSDR into MULTISPK via vbcable. Assuming its
my DSD+ setup?
The MULTISPK thing wasn't any good because it doesn't send to the speaker.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
The MULTISPK thing wasn't any good because it doesn't send to the speaker.
I don't understand you configuration. Why are you using virtual cables with DSDPlus? It appears you are using FMPA, if so you don't need a virtual cable. Is it because you are sending the decoded audio over a network?

jhsands

Feed Provider
May have seems that an update was done over the weekend.
If that is not your "daily driver", then turn windows update OFF!

You can use the following to keep windows defender updated if you choose to do so:
Task Scheduler:
Every hour
Code:
powershell update-mpsignature

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
I don't understand you configuration. Why are you using virtual cables with DSDPlus? It appears you are using FMPA, if so you don't need a virtual cable. Is it because you are sending the decoded audio over a network?
I SAID when I use FMPA it WORKS OK! I like to use SDR# and DSDPlus and vbcables to play with.
I mostly look for sites that I haven't identified. SDR# is easier to change things than FMPA.
Last week I had 9 VFO's running in SDR#, can't do that easy in FMPA I don't think, never tried.

Mil

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
If that is not your "daily driver", then turn windows update OFF!

You can use the following to keep windows defender updated if you choose to do so:
Task Scheduler:
Every hour
Code:
powershell update-mpsignature
Think it worked after the update, I have never rolled back, don't know if that works or not.
Mil

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
You are outputting the audio from the plug in to vb cable, right?

View attachment 156210
No Dave I'm starting SDR# and then using a bat file to start DSD+, no I am not using the SDR# DSD+ plugin. I tried
the plugin and it didn't work for me. I am just getting old for this mess I think, O well.....

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If your not using the plug in then you need to set the sdr# audio output to vb cable and it should work.

Alternatively, you can start DSDPlus and using the menu key, Control- select Passive Digital Monitor, and set the Input to match the vb cable. I do that quite often.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
If your not using the plug in then you need to set the sdr# audio output to vb cable and it should work.

Alternatively, you can start DSDPlus and using the menu key, Control- select Passive Digital Monitor, and set the Input to match the vb cable. I do that quite often.
Been doing that for 2 days now. It seems that recording has stopped to. No audio to speakers and no audio files saved.
Man whatever I did it was good. Thanks guys but I guess I am stuck with FMPA and FMP24. If I figure it out I'll post it.

Mil

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
I SAID when I use FMPA it WORKS OK! I like to use SDR# and DSDPlus and vbcables to play with.
I mostly look for sites that I haven't identified. SDR# is easier to change things than FMPA.
Last week I had 9 VFO's running in SDR#, can't do that easy in FMPA I don't think, never tried.

Mil
Sorry for asking questions trying to help but, I had trouble trying to figure out what you "SAID" in your word salad.

a417

Been doing that for 2 days now. It seems that recording has stopped to. No audio to speakers and no audio files saved.
Man whatever I did it was good. Thanks guys but I guess I am stuck with FMPA and FMP24. If I figure it out I'll post it.

Mil
"STUCK" with using the developer-preferred way to feed the program data?

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
"STUCK" with using the developer-preferred way to feed the program data?
Its not my "PRE-FERRED" WAY to feed the program data OK! Its my mistake and I admit it, I am not
blaming anyone but myself. How many years have we feed the developers of DSD, SDR#, Unitrunker,
Radio Reference and others with the changes we wanted made. We all want things our way, this is
the way I want to feed data. DSD-FME another program who wanted inputs.

a417

We all want things our way, this is the way I want to feed data.

You're exactly right, you are free to do anything that works. No one is holding a gun to your head. When people have to resort to hacky ways of getting things done because they need to "do things in a particular way" (sEe thE SiGnALz and such) , it can result in issues similar to what you describe. The end user can get 11 layers of hacks with unsupported software and bodges until the end is nigh, and then all the issues that come with it. You go off label, you get off label results.

There is no harm done in starting over from scratch, taking fastidious notes, and saving things offline so you can retrieve them later.
Uninstall everything you have that isn't working the way the devs intended, throw out configuration files, and rebuild from the basics.

good luck!

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, like I said it was my error. Have some personal issues this week that gets
in the way of my thinking. Stupid issue with picking the wrong output source (?).
I just had this idea it was supposed to work one way (wrong). More of my word salad
for yall, almost failed english composition in HS, teacher felt sorry for me tho.

Mil

StankLewis

Premium Subscriber
Not OP, but can you expand on why FMPA doesn’t need virtual cable? I

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Not OP, but can you expand on why FMPA doesn’t need virtual cable? I
DSD+ and FMPx use Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) networking ports to communicate. Link here for Wikipedia definition and history of TCP/IP protocol.

From RTL-SDR.COM see below:

December 30, 2015

DSD+ Updated to Version 1.101

DSD+ (Digital Speech Decoder+) is a popular decoding tool that can be used to listen to P25, DMR and other unencrypted digital speech signals. Recently DSD+ has been updated from version 1.074 to version 1.101.

The new version brings several changes, including the ability to decode Hytera Extended Pseudo Trunk (XPT) systems, Airspy compatibility, performance improvements and a TCP/IP link from FMP to DSD+ (no longer need to use a virtual audio cable). The full change log is as follows:

DSD+: DSD+ can get its raw audio source from FMP via a TCP link instead of via Virtual Audio Cable or VB-Cable

-i<TCPport> FMP TCP link port number (256-65535)

linking FMP to DSD+ via VAC or VBC is deprecated; please use the TCP
link feature instead; any port number between 10000 and 65000 should be fine

I don't pretend to totally understand how TCP/IP works or how and why it works in this application. All I know is it does work and is not difficult to set up if the information in the available materials is followed. The RTL-SDR.COM site has a lot of good information.

I hope this helps answer your question.

PS: In my opinion, none of the SDR decoding software packages are plug and play so to speak. Batch files, configuration files and data files need to be created/modified to fit the user's situation. It takes work to get set up but it is well worth it in the end. One can really build a great system with multiple dongles and enough USB ports, thankfully USB hubs exist. I have three dongles and I run three instances of DSD+ and FMP24 on an old Dell notebook to simultaneously monitor three sites, in different counties, on the MPSCS in Michigan. One site through the left speaker, one site through the right speaker and the third in mono through both speakers to enable me to sort out in my head which site the audio is coming from. It took time and some trial and error to set up but it works for me.