DSD New user, need help getting decoding working

Status
Not open for further replies.

canav844

I've gone ahead and installed DSD for windows, experimented with it for a bit, got frustrated searched, repeat several times, then I added DMR decoder to try and help sort things out, still no success, so I'm turning to RR for some more experienced folks to help me out. I've attempted but failed to decode P25p1, MOTOTRBO, NXDN and DSTAR (not full support with DSD I know, but I got nothing from it I was hoping to at least show partial info).

The primary reason for jumping into this was to decode a local MOTOTRBO and a local NXDN system, that the RR database is calling Nexedge, but I'm not sure if it's verified Kenwoods 9600 or if it's NXDN 4800; while we're at it, I'm not sure if any or all of these are encrypted, but the database is indicating no, and one MOTOTRBO system in town that I'm not trying to mess with or have interest in, does say privacy enabled on the database, so I'd assume that the information provided is accurate. For starters I've decided to settle on the MOTOTRBO system as it's more active and DMR decoder along side should help me determine if I'm headed in the right direction. It is a public safety agency with 24 hour operations, on the UHF band, that's as specific as I want to get publicly, because I don't want to call attention and have them go encrypted if they're not.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1, with an i7@3.4Ghz 8GB of ram and a Realtek "HD Audio device" sound card; the scanner is a RS Pro-95 with discriminator tap, direct wire (can add the resistor later this week but it slipped my mind when I was at RS getting the audio jack), attached to a sputnik ground plane antenna even though the signal will max out all of my HTs with ducks of varying quality.

The extent of my success has been minor bursts of R2D2ing but nothing that I can claim to have understood a full word yet.

Here are two videos of my screens, and the upload direct from phone kind of killed the audio, but hopefully there's enough to help point me in the right direction; I will attempt to find the card adapter and upload them at better quality direct from PC if it will help.
Inverted polarity (the dsd -xr)
DSD learning one - YouTube
Non-inverted polarity on both software programs
DSD learning 2 - YouTube

Edit: also managed to get a .wav audio sample
http://www.filexoom.com/showfile-30739/mototrbodsdsampleone.zip

Last edited:

canav844

Turned it on today and now it's working. I didn't even reboot the computer, really unsure what the change is but now I've got a better handle on how it's supposed to look and sound, and can say a Pro95 can decode MOTOTRBO and that the local MOTORBO system is confirmed privacy not enabled.

racingfan360

Glad to hear you're now having some success....from your videos, I'd suggest that you use dsd -xr (the polarity that gives -DMR). The second video hows clearly the wrong polarity: lots of "VOICE" decode (that isn't voice btw) per line, but it'll all sound like R2D2. The symptoms of your problem are lots of C4FM decode...they should be GFSK if all is well. In my experience you'll get this with a weak signal (unlikely based on what you say) or a scanner who's discrimator tap isn't working correctly. HAve you any way of verifying the discrim tap is ok?

HTH,

Jim

PS I can't download your wav sample to give any further help here. Maybe try another upload for me to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.