Dual RTL-SDR V3 & V4 to monitor P25 - Setup help

c_b_mazur

Premium Subscriber
So when I started this evening I plugged had previously had SDR Sharp working. I recently changed over to SDR Trunk to monitor the P25 in my area. This was all done on my single RTL-SDR V3. Seeing that I could improve the set up I ordered up another RTL-SDR this time the V4. Since I have plugged that one in. I have lost monitoring on my SDR Sharp, and haven't heard anything on Trunk. I was going to attempt to try UniTracker, but have decided not to at this time. I have also in the past downloaded and installed SDRConnect, & SDR++. I am about to the point of uninstalling every one of then and starting from scratch. Is my problem that I a running a V3 and a V4? I don't run any of the other programs at the same time. Or is there a better setup to run the duals and monitor the P25 in my area?

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
The blogv4 is an improvement in hf, falls short of the v3 some areas, they go into detail on their website...

To use the v4 , you need to run zadig for it specifically, you've ran it for the v3 which covers most of the other dongles, you with also need to get the updated rtlsdr.dll for the v4 to work with sdr# , when you extract it, open the x86 folder, copy the rtlsdr.dll from that x86 folder and past it into your sdr# folder.
Driver

To use sdrtrunk with the v4 you'll need to run v 0.6.0
You don't have to delete your old one, you can leave it of move it to a storage drive.
Download 0.6.0, extract it, put sdrtrunk folder where you want to run it from, run it, let it calibrate,restart it when it is done & you should be good to go, all your setting will be there

Watton925

Premium Subscriber
You will have to turn on Bias-T on for the version 4 dongle in sdr trunk

c_b_mazur

Premium Subscriber
Found some of the issue was both dongles had the same 00000001 serial numbers and like that the computer and software only sees both of them as a single unit trying to work over itself. I went in and "renamed?" one 00000101 and the other 00000202. I found a cheat sheet that explained that a lot better than I ever could. I began by uninstalling everything and starting from scratch, I then ran out of time and will begin again tonight. Thanks all for the advice so far.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You will have to turn on Bias-T on for the version 4 dongle in sdr trunk

Why would that be? OP made no mention of using a powered device or an active antenna.

In any event, if your going to tell people to turn it on, it might be a good idea to ask what kind of antenna they are using.

dmchalmers

Kida sounds like its not worth the hastle, was looking into sdr but this sounds like a pain in the rear.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Kida sounds like its not worth the hastle, was looking into sdr but this sounds like a pain in the rear.
There is a learning curve, as there is with any new electronic device...IMO: learning new software is frustrating at times, so you take a break, Come back with a different mind set and get right back at it until I figure it out! That part is very rewarding!

spanner

Premium Subscriber
Found some of the issue was both dongles had the same 00000001 serial numbers and like that the computer and software only sees both of them as a single unit trying to work over itself. I went in and "renamed?" one 00000101 and the other 00000202. I found a cheat sheet that explained that a lot better than I ever could. I began by uninstalling everything and starting from scratch, I then ran out of time and will begin again tonight. Thanks all for the advice so far.
I would like to see that cheat sheet to rename mine.

scannerloser

im a loser, baby.
Premium Subscriber
So when I started this evening I plugged had previously had SDR Sharp working. I recently changed over to SDR Trunk to monitor the P25 in my area. This was all done on my single RTL-SDR V3. Seeing that I could improve the set up I ordered up another RTL-SDR this time the V4. Since I have plugged that one in. I have lost monitoring on my SDR Sharp, and haven't heard anything on Trunk. I was going to attempt to try UniTracker, but have decided not to at this time. I have also in the past downloaded and installed SDRConnect, & SDR++. I am about to the point of uninstalling every one of then and starting from scratch. Is my problem that I a running a V3 and a V4? I don't run any of the other programs at the same time. Or is there a better setup to run the duals and monitor the P25 in my area?

I can help you eliminate at least one part of this: Using different version dongles is NOT at all part of the problem. I've run both v3 and v5 together without issues. What are your machine's specs? Have you tried running the beta version?

Cheers

josechung

Premium Subscriber
I followed this video to change all of mine (skip to the 11:00 minute mark):

i laughed at this video title, there's nothing quick about sdr trunk LOL I watched this entire video as well as dozens of others and I still have some gremlin keeping audio from being heard. there's gotta be some deep DEEP in windows 11 box that isn't checked but I am at my end with this trunking crap lol