East Coast Reflector not working thru hotspots(?)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I programmed the EAST COAST REFLECTOR talk group (3129973 Brandmeister) in my Alinco MD500 mobile radio. Works great. However when I programmed my Anytone D878UVII HT and using either my Rfinder or Zumspot hotspots, it wont connect. I triple checked code plug and cant see anything wrong. When I monitor dashboard if I TX using HT theres no response. In my HT I have a separate zone for Brandmeister (using the RFINDER hotspot) and separate zone for Brandmeister (using the ZUMSPOT Elite hotspot) Both hot spots never run at same time and are both on different UHF freqs. I can listen to the reflector on my mobile radio and my IP phone with hamshack hotline. But no go with HT and hotspots.

kb1fua

It's been almost a week, so I assume you've resolved this issue.
But, just before I started the comment, I tried the ECR on both DMR, and YSF and both seem to be working.

kb1fua

It is finally working for some reason. Sometimes these dmr radios have a mind of their own.
🤷i know right!
But, I gotta say, I scrapped the cps for my Baofeng DM1701 and used OpenGD77 and its now a different radio. I love it! I also have gotten good reports since too!

kb1fua

It is finally working for some reason. Sometimes these dmr radios have a mind of their own.
Bob, do you use the RI DMR TG?
I sometimes am on there, but haven't been on in several months.
Like over a year. I think December 2022...
Dean

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob, do you use the RI DMR TG?
I sometimes am on there, but haven't been on in several months.
Like over a year. I think December 2022...
Dean
I have the Talk Group 3144 on W1OP (NEDECN) and TG's 31441 RI CHAT on Brandmeister. I monitor quite a bit when I am in shack. I also have RI digital net 31444 and NB1RI 3105992, but those systems are linked with the UHF repeaters on their systems. We like the W1DMR local TG 314401 which is nice and quiet. Also monitor and use TG 9 local on W1OP. We prefer to not tie up the busy talk groups and use the lesser used ones.

kb1fua

I have the Talk Group 3144 on W1OP (NEDECN) and TG's 31441 RI CHAT on Brandmeister. I monitor quite a bit when I am in shack. I also have RI digital net 31444 and NB1RI 3105992, but those systems are linked with the UHF repeaters on their systems. We like the W1DMR local TG 314401 which is nice and quiet. Also monitor and use TG 9 local on W1OP. We prefer to not tie up the busy talk groups and use the lesser used ones.
Thanks, and ok, I understand.
When I first got on DMR I was late getting into it. I've only had my DMR for two years. Most of my NH & RI friends either moved on, moved, or have become SK's. Only about two or three friends in upper New England. I still have several in CT, or at least stay in touch with the CT groups.
Maybe we can make contact some time!
Dean

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, and ok, I understand.
When I first got on DMR I was late getting into it. I've only had my DMR for two years. Most of my NH & RI friends either moved on, moved, or have become SK's. Only about two or three friends in upper New England. I still have several in CT, or at least stay in touch with the CT groups.
Maybe we can make contact some time!
Dean
It took me a while to get into DMR. Me and some ham friends who had been out of the hobby for many years had gotten back into it around 2020. But we found it very difficult getting help, or someone to explain it to use. So I joined a local radio club and they helped me program my HT. I had to rebuild my station from the ground up. I like the Brandmeister talk groups and listen on RI Chat 31441, America Link 31656, USA Bridge 3100 and World Wide 91. We also like the local repeater talkgroup 314401 which is the local W1DMR TG. You originally from RI? I see you are in Missouri.

kb1fua

Yes, Missouri...Lake of the Ozarks area. I'm originally from Illinois. I moved to Pittsburgh PA in 1990 and was there for 10 years, then moved to Manchester CT. I was there from 2000 to 2007. I took my tech exam there in 2000 and passed. I moved back to IL in 2007, and we moved to Missouri in 2019. I recently retired, June 1st 2023.

Yes, DMR was a p.i.a. I almost gave it up...but, I bought the radio and hotspot (I had it for two years) and finally the IT guru from the club here helped me. I like it, and enjoy it, but I do like fusion a bit better. Not much Fusion repeaters near me to hit repeaters to use the WiresX rooms, but I have a few reflectors I talk on using a hotspot.
On vacations, I try to use repeaters directly, (both DMR, and Fusion)and only use the hotspot when nothing around.
If you check out my QRZ page, there's some info about me, and where I hang my hat. I will try to get a few of those talk groups loaded in my radio...maybe then we can connect.

We have company coming over tomorrow evening from out of state, and Monday, we are headed to Southern California for a couple weeks. So it will be after that...

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Dean,

Sounds like you have a busy schedule. I think there are 2 fusion repeaters here in RI, but they are shared with other modes like FM. I checked out your QRZ page and I also have a small set up. When I moved here in Cranston RI I had not been active in ham radio for many years and had no plans to get back into it.....till covid. I retired in 2016 so I was spending a lot of time home. I started to build up a small station and had been into scanners for a long time. Hahaha I agree with you on social media. I hate it. I stay away from it. I was also on there back around 2010 till about 2017. I am a musician so I used Facebook to keep in touch with my musical friends, and it was OK till about 2015.....I started to drift away from it. I prefer ham radio. I have the CT State talkgroup in my radios so maybe we can have a chat on there.

kb1fua

OK Dean,

Sounds like you have a busy schedule. I think there are 2 fusion repeaters here in RI, but they are shared with other modes like FM. I checked out your QRZ page and I also have a small set up. When I moved here in Cranston RI I had not been active in ham radio for many years and had no plans to get back into it.....till covid. I retired in 2016 so I was spending a lot of time home. I started to build up a small station and had been into scanners for a long time. Hahaha I agree with you on social media. I hate it. I stay away from it. I was also on there back around 2010 till about 2017. I am a musician so I used Facebook to keep in touch with my musical friends, and it was OK till about 2015.....I started to drift away from it. I prefer ham radio. I have the CT State talkgroup in my radios so maybe we can have a chat on there.
Yes sir! Never enough time in the day...it seems like I'm more busy now that I've retired, haha. Yep, covid sure did get a lot of folks dusting off their equipment! I know several that hung it up for various reasons, but when it hit, nothing left to do...the original social media, HAM Radio!😉
FB, and twitter just got so ugly. I had my life, and my family's lives threatened. They posted my pictures, my kid's pictures, and that was it for me in 2017. I deleted my pics, blocked everyone, and deleted all my social medias. Never looked back...and now I don't go to bed mad, or wake up mad any more.
Yes sir! I have all the New England State talk Groups programmed in.
With family and friends still in those areas, I try to keep informed, and in contact!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hi Dean

Yeah social media is bad and no good. It has been misused. I monitor the RI talk group 31441 so if you wanna make a call I am usually on at night after dinner. I dont know anybody in other states, but have relatives in Florida. Now that I am working part time, I am thinking of buying another DMR mobile rig for my car. But I will also need a new antenna too. Not sure what kind of antenna, but a dual band. Gutter clip mount is good.

kb1fua

I have all the RI DMR talk groups in my ht. We will have to give it a try some evening.
That's my problem, I know so many people, all over the place.
I created a Zone on the radio labeled "Favorites" (for the hotspot). This zone is all the talkgroups where my close friends, and friends near family, former co-workers, etc...are.
I have a analog mobile dual band in the car. But for DMR/Fusion I use my ht's in the car. It's too expensive for my blood to get DMR/Fusion mobile.

I've had really good luck with getting the expensive dual and antennas from HRO. I'm very picky with my antennas. Especially if I'm going with a compromised antenna mount, or mobile coax.