Talkgroups not appearing on Pi-star dashboard -- Codeplug is good.

K0AMY

Realize this is extremely difficult to troubleshoot on a forum, but here are the facts:
1. Been using the Anytone 878II plus for the past year with a code plug provided by my local ham radio club. I added several Talkgroups to the codeplug, and they have been working, and I've been using them for the past year. Good.
2. Recently, Talkgroups stopped appearing on the dashboard. Told by Bridgecom tech support that my jumbo hotspot has failed. Ok, so, I replace it with a Skybridge and installed according to directions, but still, talkgroups do not appear on the dashboard.
3. The left side of the dashboard is green, and Brandmeister password enabled in config. Again, this is a codeplug that I've been using for the past year.
4. Since Skybrige comes preconfigured except callsigh, radio I.d. and personal info... location etc.... I will not go into detail there. I am confident data entered there is correct. LAN is working.
5. Am wondering now if my jumbo hotspot might not have failed........
6. Before the trouble started, I programmed APRS and all is well there and working. Still works.
**** Is there a menu option on the Anytone radio which might prevent the talkgroups from connecting? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ewh01

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the BM hotspot, but do you need to enable static TGs? I added my regulars/locals as static in BM setup page, anything else I need to "ker-chunk" to get activated.

K0AMY

Yes, prior to this problem I would kerchunk the radio, and whatever talkgroup I had showing on the radio shows up on the dashboard. Not sure about static TSs. Will look into that. Thanks.

dickie757

Wired
Send the skybridge back. That was poor advice on their part.

My goto advice is to switch master servers. The 878 has nothing to do with hotspot errors. Does the TG show on the 878 during a call?

Edit...is this for BM?

K0AMY

The TG is on the radio screen and bleeps when I kerchunk, but does not appear on the Pi-star Dashboard like it did before. Parrot does not work either. I did change the BM master from 3104 to 3102, and then back to 3104. It was on 3104 when it was working. Maybe you mean DMR Master? That is on DMR Gateway. There are two other choices... see pic. I'm in the queue at Bridgecom for another tech support call next week.... I will wait to hear what they have to say. Ugh! Thanks for the help.
1698191993942.png

dickie757

Wired
No, keep the DMR Master as gateway, unless you are running cross mode. What is in the drop down to the right of your ID in Brandmeister ESSID, that says none now?

Also, fire up your other hotspot instead of the Skybridge, and take screenie of config page please.

K0AMY

the drop down to the right of my ID in Brandmeister ESSID, that says none now?..... That is numbers ... none, 1, 2, 3, etc... for the # of other users. I will get screen shots of the jumbo hotspot's config.

OK, here is the screen shots of the jumbo hotspots configuration
1698233792998.png
1698233829455.png
1698233873838.png

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I know it may be stupid, but check that your DMR ID in the radio matches the ID on your dashboard.

I've accidentally used the wrong ID once and it took me forever to figure it out.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Did BM blacklist you for some reason.. Try a buddies DMR ID on the spot and see if it shows TG's

K0AMY

I know it may be stupid, but check that your DMR ID in the radio matches the ID on your dashboard.

I've accidentally used the wrong ID once and it took me forever to figure it out.
I will check, but as I stated earlier, I've been using the radio for the past year. All was well. Then one morning the TGs would not appear on the Pi-Star dashboard.

K0AMY

Did BM blacklist you for some reason.. Try a buddies DMR ID on the spot and see if it shows TG's
Can't imagine why. I like to think I'm respectful and courteous. If they did they didn't inform me.

K0AMY

yes, it does match.

Can't imagine why. I like to think I'm respectful and courteous. If they did they didn't inform me.
I contacted BM support and layed out the issue. They researched and reported that I am reaching them (manually entering TGs via the Pi-Star Admin page) with no issue and the problem is not theirs.

MMDVM DISPLAY TYPE: should be OLED 3 , MODEM, G4KLX
Well, when everything worked correctly, the Port was..../dev/ttyAMA0 Using a Aursinc jumbo hotspot.

I have noticed that in DMR Configuration Section .....
1. .....if DMR Master in DMR Config section = BM_3104_United_States or 3103, or 3102.....DMR Net on Dashboard page is green
2. .... if DMR Master in DMR Config section = DMR GATEWAY....... DMR NET on Dashboard page goes RED
Yes, hotspot security is enabled on BM website and just under this config

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Have you re-generated your API key per the instructions on the BrandMeister.network homepage? Also… have you tried WPSD?

K0AMY

Have you re-generated your API key per the instructions on the BrandMeister.network homepage? Also… have you tried WPSD?
Well, I just created the API key last week and entered it in Pi-Star. Should I do it again?

I don’t know what WPD is?

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Try setting the node type to PUBLIC and see if that helps

ultrajv

Micro Sdcards fail with weird results. Get a new one, 4GB or more. Install pi star onto microsd card from pc. Open up the jumbo spot. Replace micro sdcard.

Last edited:

Hajo

In order for the TG Editor to appear in the Admin panel, the PiStar needs to have an API key from BM.
generate the key in BM, then in PiStar go to config/expert. There is a BM API option where you can paste it.
If the PiStar is in RAM Overlay mode (default), then the key will be gone once the Pi reboots, I presume. Also, the API key does expire after some time, a new one needs to be created then.
Good luck!