Emergency personnel advise against publishing scanner traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

screamin72

This reminds me of my post PLEASE BE DISCRETE!! I get called a troll for it.

Hypothetically, If all law Enforcement went un-monitorable. (Im not saying the 'E' word) Imagine what your local news will be like news watchers. Ya'all can internet stream your law enforcement comms from your scanner..I choose not to take the risk.

Last edited:

brucewarming

Phone app's

How often do we hear reports from (unapproved, unnamed sources) Leaked information from who? Chasing scanner traffic, retransmitting radio information is irresponsible. Problem is it's being done by all sources, Police, News and the Scanner listeners. With the retransmitting on the web it's opened it to wide abuse. To keep the irresponsible public from abusing it, there maybe a question of keeping it easy to be done.

gusbuster

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in the trade of journalism or law enforcement. I just enjoy hearing what is going on do like the web feeds especially when I'm at work or my other house in another state, it is comforting to here how bad an area got hit, especially during tornado season when I'm in CA and my step daughter is in TN....By the radio traffic , we are able to tell where the most damage occurred, power out ect.....like a lot of young adults......she's terrible about calling.

The county that I live in, every single agency is now digital. That in itself knocked out a lot of listeners who didn't want to spend money on a new capable scanner. There is one agency that I'm aware of that uses encryption all the time, even though neighboring larger cities all broadcast out in the open. I just feel that just alone the fact that a regular L.E.O understands the concept of digital and digital with encryption. I say that because a lot of times, you will hear one individual broadcast out in the open and able to follow. Does it enhance officer safety? I don't know.

Just my thoughts.

Confuzzled

Texas is in the process of taking a really firm stance on this ...

Texas should just secede and join Mexico since they don't seem to believe in the US Constitution.

Beyond that, this topic has been discussed too many times to count and the threads usually end up getting locked and posters sanctioned.

Personally, I believe communications should be far more open. The 'E' word that we're not supposed to rant about outside of one thread should be banned on all but a few limited sensitive Ops channels. If departments weren't so secretive and posted their own feeds, there may be a whole lot less bad cops trying to get away with things. Remember, they work FOR the public and need to start acting accordingly.

And if I were the City Administrator, that Chief that's threatening the public would be unemployed immediately.

w2txb

dead-horse.gif

And no, we do not need to be anything more like European countries than we have already become.

N8IAA

dead-horse.gif

And no, we do not need to be anything more like European countries than we have already become.

+1. I wonder how many on this site grew up in the 50', 60's, and 70's to see how our freedoms have eroded. Draw your own conclusions.
Larry

Confuzzled

+1. I wonder how many on this site grew up in the 50', 60's, and 70's to see how our freedoms have eroded. Draw your own conclusions.
Larry

When I think back on some of the stuff I did in the 70s that would now lead to 5 years, I just shake my head.

Laws are just plain nuts now. Some kid in Texas just got sentenced to 18 months in prison with no chance of parole for public urination.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Like I have mentioned in several other threads is that our hobby has been taking a big hit the past few years at a really fast pace. My county went silent 13 years ago way before the internet even had a name and a face. Smartphones had no name either. Once cities and counties started to get a lot of federal grant money to finally upgraded they took advantage of the money that was free and used it to go silent and block everybody out.

Law Enforcement just does not want anybody to listen to their comms anymore. Its just the way this industry has taken off in the wrong direction. There is no standard accross the board and every city and county is doing whatever they well please and there is no say so about it.

Once your radio goes silent you are at a dead end in the road and the road will stay closed forever. No system has ever went silent and come back in the clear. That is a known "FACT".

The technology is either included with the price of the system or is added for FREE now and everybody is on-board and that is the new normal now. Its in full force and it will not stop ever. Our hobby has taken the turn for the worst and eventually in time some people and I mean a few will be okay and the rest of us will look for something else to full fill our lives.

At the end of the day if Lindsey said look I thought it was a great concept at the time to stream audio and have a great service to provide to people I think its time to close Broadcastify it will not stop Cities and Counties at this point to secure all of their transmissions. LE comm departments are not going to say oh internet streaming is in the past so we can open up in the clear again.

Sorry people this is the direction we are going and its Southbound. If we could all save it we would but its a lost cause.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Once your radio goes silent you are at a dead end in the road and the road will stay closed forever. No system has ever went silent and come back in the clear. That is a known "FACT".

I know of two cities, one in Arkansas and one in North Dakota that "went silent" for months in one case (1970's) and many years (1980's to around 1994) in the other case and they both reverted back to almost all traffic in the clear. Unfortunately, the one in North Dakota has after around 20 years in the clear (they used cell phones for TAC talk) has now gone full 24/7 P25 encryption and I suspect like you that they will probably not be changing back into the clear anytime soon, but it has happened before.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know of two cities, one in Arkansas and one in North Dakota that "went silent" for months in one case (1970's) and many years (1980's to around 1994) in the other case and they both reverted back to almost all traffic in the clear. Unfortunately, the one in North Dakota has after around 20 years in the clear (they used cell phones for TAC talk) has now gone full 24/7 P25 encryption and I suspect like you that they will probably not be changing back into the clear anytime soon, but it has happened before.

In the 1970's and 1980's there was no digital encryption. The technology did not even exist except for our US Military. Police and Fire never had encryption.

So what I meant is that any agencies that has gone to P25 digital encryption has never looked back EVER and never will unless there is government laws and policies put into place but that will never happen for people that own scanner radios. If everybody that owns a televsion had a police scanner then maybe. The number of people that own a police scanner won't weigh enough on government policies to change when it comes to homeland security. Ain't happening. Somebody in a basement that is a brain wizard who possibly can break encryption has the better chance then getting government policy put in place.

And if so then everybody would need to buy a commerical grade radio with a KVL.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
In the 1970's and 1980's there was no digital encryption. The technology did not even exist except for our US Military. Police and Fire never had encryption.

So what I meant is that any agencies that has gone to P25 digital encryption has never looked back EVER and never will unless there is government laws and policies put into place but that will never happen for people that own scanner radios. If everybody that owns a televsion had a police scanner then maybe. The number of people that own a police scanner won't weigh enough on government policies to change when it comes to homeland security. Ain't happening. Somebody in a basement that is a brain wizard who possibly can break encryption has the better chance then getting government policy put in place.

And if so then everybody would need to buy a commerical grade radio with a KVL.

I agree thus far this appears to be true.

In the 1970's it was analog "Voice Inversion" and in the 1980-1990's it was "MVP" analog "Motorola Voice Protection."

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
It's been like that in many European countries for a long time and they still have lots of news coverage.

But where are they getting the information from? Spokespeople employed with the department? Are these people actually on the scene or just distribute the information second hand? How quickly is this information being shared with the media?

I've found the news reporting on recently encrypted agencies in my area to be very delayed, incomplete and filtered in some cases on part of the agency. You can be sure these agencies are being very careful about releasing information that may point them in a negative light.

I guess we should start trusting our government officials. (tried not to laugh as I typed that.)

Minus1

Be glad you have the freedom you have in the US. Here in the UK all emergency comms are TETRA (digital & encrypted) all we can pick up is some digital noise.

When things were still analogue there was the usual scaremongering from the authorities about how criminals COULD use scanners, though I never once heard of anyone being prosecuted. People who go about committing crimes don't tend to have the intelligence nor the time nor money to be listening to a scanner. I did twice twice hear things on the police radio than would have set alarms bells ringing amongst the powers that be, one was a racist comment, one was a vehicle accident caused by a reckless police decision.

I also heard of one case where the police were assisted by someone who heard something on the police radio over a scanner (though the police didn't know this).

Sadly those with power tend to want to keep the power to themselves, and assume everybody else is against them. They cannot understand that the vast majority of people who listen to scanners are law-abiding citizens sitting at home. They don't have the sense to realise that open communication has many benefits:

* You can communicate immediately with the public. (Having spent millions encrypting their radios so the public cannot hear was is going on, the police now spend money telling the public what is going on by using Twitter & Facebook)
* You make emergency personal more careful and professional about what they say (supresses racist and sexist comments).
* You engage better with the public, so they support you more.

It is human nature to remember bad things more than good things. Everytime you pass on something you heard on the scanner indiscreetly, you give them another bad thing to remember, and bring closer the day when they decide the public are a threat, rather than the people they are supposed to be serving.

iamhere300

Actually, this is incorrect. DVP by Motorola was introduced in 1977, and Salt Lake City UT was the first to use it in public safety on standard channels that year.

Ronald Reagan passed an directive mandating encryption of all federal law enforcement radio in the 80's.

Lots of use in the 80's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.