Eton Eton Executive: Range / Tuning Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

Hope this post is in the right sub-forum, if not please advise where I should shuttle over to?

New here, and to shortwave radios in general. Recently invested in an Eton Executive portable shortwave SSB radio for my father and have been trying to get accustomed to it in order to be able to give him a quick & easy walk through on how to use it.

Attempting to receive signal @ ~500-1,000 feet above sea level in a coastal New England city without any luck.

I have been attempting to tune in to every station that is showing live broadcasts on: Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

Typically I go to the site and select the 'list everything on air in the [....] option'

Whether it is a station in North America, South America, Africa, Europe or Asia I am just not able to actually tune into anything on any of the bands.

Typically I will turn on the radio, press the AM/meterband button to get the desired band and then attempt to tune to particular broadcast. Once on the broadcast frequency, will attempt to hone in on the broadcast by selecting RDS mode to activate SSB-LSB or SSB-USB.

The only time I am able to get anything is when I press and hold on the auto up or down arrows and it scans through the frequencies to stop on a channel with some sort of audible signal.

For example, as I'm writing this I was able to randomly auto scan on the 31M (9300KHz - 9995KHz) band and the radio picked up a feint signal @ 9580 for China Radio International on SSB-USB. Then I was able to auto scan to 7365 for spanish radio and then the auto scanner picked up 6160 (not sure if it was WBCQ or PYONGYANG BS as they are both listed at the same frequency? Does that happen when there is one on LSB vs USB?).

Please forgive my ignorance in advance, could anybody advise how to properly tune into live broadcasts ?

Will inclement weather patterns always obstruct the signal? How is it that 100% of my attempts have been unsuccessful? Do I need to consult the real-time weather situation every time from the point of origin of broadcast to my location in order to discern the feasibility?

What can be done to remove the static noise, it's very taxing to try to listen to broadcasts with the background noise.

Bought a 23ft angean antenna booster in an attempt to resolve all of the above, hope you all can assist with helping me better understand how to proceed and if perhaps it just makes more sense to return this portable unit and go for a desktop unit that has a cleaner/crisper signal and experience.

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing any input or guidance you all may have.

P.S. I did try to use the search function on this site and on google but my ignorance did not allow me to use the proper search queries to find the information that I was seeking

tuihill

Hi All!

Hope this post is in the right sub-forum, if not please advise where I should shuttle over to?

New here, and to shortwave radios in general. Recently invested in an Eton Executive portable shortwave SSB radio for my father and have been trying to get accustomed to it in order to be able to give him a quick & easy walk through on how to use it.

Attempting to receive signal @ ~500-1,000 feet above sea level in a coastal New England city without any luck.

I have been attempting to tune in to every station that is showing live broadcasts on: Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

Typically I go to the site and select the 'list everything on air in the [....] option'

Whether it is a station in North America, South America, Africa, Europe or Asia I am just not able to actually tune into anything on any of the bands.

Typically I will turn on the radio, press the AM/meterband button to get the desired band and then attempt to tune to particular broadcast. Once on the broadcast frequency, will attempt to hone in on the broadcast by selecting RDS mode to activate SSB-LSB or SSB-USB.

The only time I am able to get anything is when I press and hold on the auto up or down arrows and it scans through the frequencies to stop on a channel with some sort of audible signal.

For example, as I'm writing this I was able to randomly auto scan on the 31M (9300KHz - 9995KHz) band and the radio picked up a feint signal @ 9580 for China Radio International on SSB-USB. Then I was able to auto scan to 7365 for spanish radio and then the auto scanner picked up 6160 (not sure if it was WBCQ or PYONGYANG BS as they are both listed at the same frequency? Does that happen when there is one on LSB vs USB?).

Please forgive my ignorance in advance, could anybody advise how to properly tune into live broadcasts ?

Will inclement weather patterns always obstruct the signal? How is it that 100% of my attempts have been unsuccessful? Do I need to consult the real-time weather situation every time from the point of origin of broadcast to my location in order to discern the feasibility?

What can be done to remove the static noise, it's very taxing to try to listen to broadcasts with the background noise.

Bought a 23ft angean antenna booster in an attempt to resolve all of the above, hope you all can assist with helping me better understand how to proceed and if perhaps it just makes more sense to return this portable unit and go for a desktop unit that has a cleaner/crisper signal and experience.

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing any input or guidance you all may have.

P.S. I did try to use the search function on this site and on google but my ignorance did not allow me to use the proper search queries to find the information that I was seeking

I'm not familiar with the radio but you should be looking to tune it on AM, not SSB (USB or LSB) if you are chasing international short wave broadcasters like the BBC. SSB is generally only used for receiving amateur or utility signals on the appropriate bands. LSB is usually below 10000 khz and USB above. Use manual tuning as the search function may not be tripped by weak signals you would hear if tuning slowly through the bands.
Check out all of the resources on SWLing.com - a world of shortwave radio reviews, news, articles, how-to guides and innovations for hints and tips. You may find a review of your radio there as well. There are plenty of other sites out there devoted to the hobby.
Look here for either identifying what you are hearing on a frequency or where to look for a certain broadcaster or English language transmissions. Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH
External antenna is important, the longer the better. Your 23' wire should be adequate if you can string as much as possible outside. Too long may overload a small radio such as yours. Don't know if it is built to handle the load.
Noise is always a problem as there are so many devices in your home and nearby that can cause QRM (M for Manmade) on the HF bands. First place to look at is the power supply if you are using a plug in. See if the noise is reduced when operating on battery power. Otherwise, it could be LED lights, TVs even on standby, computers, touch lamps etc etc. SWLing may have some articles about it.
QRN (N for Natural) is noise caused by space weather or other atmospherics. Actual weather, as in the climate, is not so much of a factor on these frequencies other than the noise from lightning strikes near or far. Propagation is very dependant on the time of day at the transmitting site and the receiving site. Usually you will find better listening at night wherever you are. Frequencies below 10000 khz at local night and above during the day.
A good check is to tune WWV in Colorado on 5000, 10000 or 15000 khz and see if you are receiving the time signals then try searching around the bands on either side of the best signal from them. There is still plenty to listen to out there. It's just a matter of when and where. China Radio International is the most prolific international broadcaster these days.
Good luck. Don't be afraid to come back here with more questions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another important item; unlike scanners, HF is dependent upon the time of day you tune. As a general rule, tune above 10 Mhz during the day, below that at night.

To that end, there are many sites out there that will show you which areas of the world are in daylight or darkness. Here is but one example;

There is software you can buy to be able to project maps like the above on your PC

It has a 'local / DX' attenuation switch - I suspect it should be in the DX position. Use WWV's signals to give you the hint as to which works.

Evidently this radio can hear AM Aircraft. Check our database, or failing that, sites like AirNav to get the appropriate frequencies for the area.

While there are many sites where you can get schedule information, (and this might be a little over the top for someone just starting out), the single best place to get this information is the SWSkeds reflector on groups.io. The file is a combination of many different sources, including EiBi and HFCC, and is freely available as a spreadsheet. And of course, the World of Radio reflector (again on groups.io) always has announcements on schedule changes as folks find them.

Mike

Boombox

Direct entry would be the best way to hear a specific station if you're looking at a schedule.

Or direct enter the radio to a frequency in the middle of a Shortwave Broadcast Band, and then manually tune up or down, and listen for activity on every frequency. Most nights where the atmospheric conditions are good, I'll hear at least 4-5 stations on the 31 meter band (9 Mhz band).

I tune my radio -- using the keypad and direct-entering the frequency -- to 9330 or 9420, and tune upwards until I hit WWV on 10000 Khz. Usually I hear at least 3-4 stations a night, sometimes more, depending on how good a night it is.

Auto-scan on any radio I've had misses a lot of stations.

Also, remember, the sunspots (solar weather, which is necessary for SW reception) may not be great from day to day, and some days and nights I hear maybe Cuba and static.

Thanks for all the feedback per the above, taking it all into consideration and have been able to pick up some stations on the 'AM' function rather than SSB. Not the ones I found listed on > Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH for 'BBC' as an example search query but still better than nothing I suppose. Setting up the extender tomorrow and will see what sort of difference there is.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Another important item; unlike scanners, HF is dependent upon the time of day you tune. As a general rule, tune above 10 Mhz during the day, below that at night.

To that end, there are many sites out there that will show you which areas of the world are in daylight or darkness. Here is but one example;

There is software you can buy to be able to project maps like the above on your PC

<snip>

Mike

There is also free software that will give you similar projection. The image below is from Simon's World Map. Totally free and quite customizable.

See: https://www.g4eli.com/world-map

--
(the other) Mike

Attachments

• bandicam 2022-05-24 22-32-58-529.jpg
    bandicam 2022-05-24 22-32-58-529.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 6

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Too bad it can't get the Keplerian Elements and show the position of specific satellites or the ISS and show their relative position with an alert when they come into receiving range. Can't have everything! ;)

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Mike what software is this?

Mike JJZ

Mike,

On the left monitor, I have lightning maps.org running fullscreen and on the right monitor is Simon's World Map v1.2.9. Windows screenshot puts both monitors into one nice pic.

--
Mike

majoco

Stirrer
It's no good tuning to a specific frequency if they are not actually transmitting. Shortwave transmitting is carefully managed by the broadcasters to hit their desired audience and they do this with directional antennas, remote transmitter sites and propagation knowledge. You have to be in the right place at the right time.
For heaps of information download the data from EiBispace.de and click on Freq-A22. Also drop down the page a bit and download EiBiview. Install EiBiview and put the Freq-A22 data into the same folder. Click on EiBiview30 and you will be presented with a world map and all the data you can handle - you can select the sation you want to hear and it will show you if it is transmitting and on what frequencies and their target.

Attachments

• EiBi.jpg
    EiBi.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 5

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Too bad it can't get the Keplerian Elements and show the position of specific satellites or the ISS and show their relative position with an alert when they come into receiving range. Can't have everything! ;)

I would be nice if Simon brought an updated Sat Tracking from V2.3 forward into his World Map.

bandicam 2022-05-25 16-20-55-454.jpg

Boombox

The best thing is to tune across a SWBC Meter band, and then, once you hear something, use Short-Wave.info, EiBi, or another web service to ID the station you're hearing. Sometimes you can ID a station just by the language you are hearing being spoken. And keep a log of some type, which will also help. I write down my loggings (including Unidentified stations) into a spiral ring binder.

The 49, 41, and 31 Meter Bands work best at night, 21, 19, and 16 best during the day. The 25 Meter Band (11400-12000 Khz) works best in the evening and mornings, but there is some afternoon and late morning activity if the sunspots are cooperating.

As I said before, Shortwave ionospheric conditions are still mediocre. A lot of stuff that shows up on the websites you won't be able to hear, because the ionosphere simply isn't cooperating.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I know we were talking about Simon's World Map, but I do want to point out that his SDR Console has tracking also.

bandicam 2022-07-15 00-10-47-362.jpg

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Cool! I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip. It might be a few days before I can do that though, I have so many other things on my plate at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.