Filling up the banks of a Analog scanner

613scanner

I recently got a 72xlt and 75xlt (in the near future I plan to add discriminator taps to them) and I just want some ideas of analog AM/FM stuff I can add to fill out the banks.

So far I got around 50 ish freq between YOW airport related frequencies , the 22 "standard" frs/gmrs frequencies , and the maintenance team for my apartment building thanks to close call. I should note that these handhelds to do have service search so I am not sure if it is worth it to add the HAM and marine frequencies into scan banks. They also have NOAA weather channels search and I do not see the point of adding the local channel because it is always transmitting (expect when it goes down in extreme weather like the 2018 tornado that happened here , or just really heavy rain like last week but I digress)

I will be honest my main interest in getting some more modern handhelds was close call and the fact they can save their memory when they do not have power. I have my sdr dongles for P25/DMR/NXDN.

Maybe some one has some further ideas of more analog stuff to fill out the scan banks? I was thinking of Studio audio links etc but then remembered that these both cap out at 512MHz.

gary123

Add in all the LPU frequencies. There is still a lot of analog activity. maybe also the default frequency set for Baofeng radios.

bigcam406

I don't know where you are located but I have my 125AT filled with frequencies that are conventional analogue broadcasting from New York state. Summer and early fall is usually the best time to pick up these frequencies. Still lots of analogue for police and fire down there.

sprman1955

Low band 30 to 50 MHz. Lots of action there: police fire utes ect. I have my PSR500 filled with it. Aircraft, hams, Railroad etc. Angelo

613scanner

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I have never RX'd any CB radio any random time I have scanned it. I should make a 1/4 dipole and leave one of my SDR's on it for a week and see if anything shows. I have had a lot of success on the LADD 1-4 channels (but mostly when I am out west).

Today the volume on my BC72XLT seems to have died. It gives out a small amount of sound at full volume through the speaker and headphone jack. I will have to take it apart and see what I can do. I am guessing right now it is the audio amplifier. Hopefully, it will be not too bad to do a DIY repair. While I have it apart, I can also add the discriminator tap and get to test out the new style of soldering iron tip I got for my Hakko.

gary123

Check for a bad connection on the volume control. That often has those symptoms.