Purchasing packages vs. wrestling through a new scanner

Wilderland

Premium Subscriber
Hi. This is my first post, although I have lurked for a while. My question is about purchasing a BCD996P2. I have no experience with digital or trunking scanners. Is it worth the cost to buy it from one of the on-line vendors who program and add county frequencies, DMR, NXDN, update the firmware, ect, or is it easy enough to do on my own through the Uniden site, and ProScan?

Thanks!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. First off, where in NV are you from? So I/we can get eyes on the database to see if the 996p2 is a good fit for your area & identify potential pitfalls (encryption, simulcast distortion, other issues which may hinder your scanning efforts ) I strongly encourage those to learn how to program their own scanners versus having a third party vendor program for you. This way if they make an error or something changes in your area you won't be at the vendor's mercy to correct the programming for you. Expect a bit of a learning curve if you have no experience with trunk tracking scanners. Plenty of folks here would be willing to lend you a hand with your programming. Also with regards to the paid upgrades it's cheaper to buy direct from Uniden as the third party vendors tend to mark the prices up a bit.
Proscan along with a Radioreference premium subscription so you can import data direct from the RRDB to the app then to your scanner makes programming a breeze

Some reading material for your perusal:

Wilderland

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Whisky. I’m in White Pine County. There isn’t a lot here compared to metropolitan areas, but State and Fed frequencies here seem to run EDACS and DMR. Sheriff here is encrypted. Any suggestions would be great!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
if you depend on other people to do things for you, like program a scanner, you will never learn anything about it, but if you purchase proscan or some other programing software you will learn how to make changes whenever you want and to your liking. its worth the money you pay for it. also read the users manual and you will find a lot of answers if you do a little digging around.

palmerjrusa

if you depend on other people to do things for you, like program a scanner, you will never learn anything about it, but if you purchase proscan or some other programing software you will learn how to make changes whenever you want and to your liking. its worth the money you pay for it. also read the users manual and you will find a lot of answers if you do a little digging around.

This...

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
As many may know, I work for one of the companies that sells scanners and offers programming services to customers should they choose to go that route.

When I am discussing their purchase of a scanner and programming options, I always explain to them that regardless of whether they do it, or we do it, it is incumbent upon them to learn - at a minimum - the basics of their scanner in order to achieve the best results. After all, any programming is going to age and become inaccurate. To help them along with that I enlighten them to the availability of Radio Reference, other scanner websites like SNE, and a lot of other resources that will help them along the way. It would possibly amaze you to know how few people actually seem to know about this website. The ones that do a lot of the time make mention of it before I get a chance to. For the Uniden models that use Sentinel I always try to provide them with the link to the latest download and give them a basic idea of the need to learn it, of course that being database updates, firmware upgrades, and the ability to create their own favorites lists as they learn. I at least attempt to make it clear to them that even if we do programming for them, that programming is going to age as well and as such become inaccurate over time. I feel like in a lot of cases I'm successful in getting them on board with at least attempting to learn said basics.

Sometimes we talk about my company doing programming so they can use that as a tool to learn, see the file structuring, and branch off from there and create their own. There are also people out there that don't want to learn, just want to take it out of the box, turn it on, and have it work, don't have access to a PC, etc.. We regularly replace SD cards for them, or take their mail-ins for updated programming and return to them. There are options for everyone.

Ultimately, it goes without saying, regardless of what the subject matter is, learning about it - at least the basics - are going to result in a much better overall use and experience. All of the comments in this thread (and hopefully mine as well) are well said. The OP has made it to RR prior to purchase and as such is further along the path to success than others might be.

Wilderland

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I’ve ordered the scanner. Does it come with the cable I need to interface with a computer, or do I need to order one?