Forest Service Control Burn in New Bern Today

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
The news is saying there will be a controlled burn in New Bern today by the forest service. They also said a helicopter will be involved. Has anybody ever listened to a control burn operation? I've tried a number of times throughout the years but never not heard anything? I've listened on viper and also the VHF frequencies maybe I've always been too far away?

reconrider8

Vhf and viper will be the best bet for control but individual ops maybe on vhf in would guess with air being involved. Keep viper on search and throw all the vhf freqs in

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
It is Likely they will be using one of the VHF NCFS TAC frequencies, which are simplex mode. Unless you are really close to the controlled burn, you probably won't hear much. This has been my experience with NCFS at least.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I may be way off-base here (and I usually am), but I came across an active frequency about 2-3 weeks ago and I just couldn't figure out what service was using it as I only heard one side of the conversation. That said, you might want to give 151.505 a listen. It was weak but pretty clear here in ILM