General Technical Data Question - Frequency Trailing Zero(s) Issue - DSD+ et al

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
This question originated out of my use of DSD+ Fast Lane 2.165 but applies to other systems in general - possibly. I've noted in my use of data that if a frequency has a value of something like 123.450 for example (pull that number out of the air for explanation purposes) some systems code that in frequency files as 123.45. Other frequencies have more digits after the decimal point. Other than sheer speed of typing, is there some memory constraint in the software or speed of processing issue or something that we should use the truncated trailing zero format as opposed to something that makes the frequency files much easier to read with data lined-up in neat little columns, etc? I've written some modest code for number crunching for decades and seeing this data misaligned drives me nuts! Curious more than anything before I set off in a given direction.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
There is no technical reason to use trailing zeros. It's purely a personal taste thing. If a frequency is 123.450, I type it out as 123.45. If it's 123.0 or 123.4 I type it out as 123.000 or 124.000. My mind wants to see at least two digits past the decimal point. If that second digit is a zero I always add a third zero. To each his own. I can't think of a piece of software that cares whether you type 123.45 or 123.450000. If you like your DSDPlus files lined up in neat columns, then line them up in neat columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.