• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Generic LE Radio Use Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokoa3116

Thank you everyone for the informative answers.

My local Astro 25 Phase 2 system has different IDs for mobiles and portables.

There is a local motorola Type 2 system farther down from me. I am not really sure of how officers are logisticaly supposed to use it but for each police beat district there are 2 talkgroups. RR database says one is for dispatch and one for service. In ( ) it says mobiles/portables. So it appears as the car radio is set to a different talkgroup than the portable radio. I haven’t really seen an implementation like this anywhere else in the areas I had been in. Not really sure how this is used. The system I am talking about is in San Francisco California used for Police and Fire.

Attachments

• 4E7334BC-1572-4B1D-B1A0-4EBF929A20C2.png
    4E7334BC-1572-4B1D-B1A0-4EBF929A20C2.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 19

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The deputies on the system that I manage that have a mobile and portable will usually keep one radio on the main dispatch and the other on the car to car talkgroup. It's the officers discretion on what they listen to on the secondary radio.

N4KVE

No they don't and any system admin that thinks about doing this or does this should be fired...
I realize my answer was simply a suggestion, but why then does this feature exist on DMR radios? I remember years ago spending the summer in Mt. Vernon NY, where the cops carried portables, & also had mobile radios in their cars. Every time they keyed up, there was howling feedback from both radios being on the same freq. Someone realized this is a problem, & wrote DMR CPS to prevent that from happening if both radios had the same ID #. Why else would they do this ?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Probably canned due to all the voice recognition issues when running in a high noise environment. Add in siren noise, and you'd probably run into issues when you tried to release the shotgun, but instead end up ordering diapers from Amazon.

Sounds more like someones master thesis, rather than something that was actually needed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I realize my answer was simply a suggestion, but why then does this feature exist on DMR radios? I remember years ago spending the summer in Mt. Vernon NY, where the cops carried portables, & also had mobile radios in their cars. Every time they keyed up, there was howling feedback from both radios being on the same freq. Someone realized this is a problem, & wrote DMR CPS to prevent that from happening if both radios had the same ID #. Why else would they do this ?

Probably for non-public safety applications.

Matching radio ID's would be a bad idea on any trunking system.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

Just because the software allows this does not mean it should be done. I was with a shop who cloned radios on a project. All were ID 1. That cost alot of time and money to fix and could have been bad if not caught early. The software doesn't know what the ID should or should not be. If that radio shop thought that was a good idea they shouldn't be in business. That's not the fix. I don't know where in CPS it says "mute" xyz audio if its the same ID. Im confident its a radio shop who should not be in business.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
When I came onboard our department we had a shortage of handheld radios. All the cars had them but not all the officer's, we had to share you got one if you were lucky. It was like 1Adam 12.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Since the officer’s portable, & mobile radio both have the same ID #, the radios can be set to mute when one is transmitting so no feedback will be heard from the other.
Now that he's been crucified..... I believe he's talking about the officer's ID letters/numbers, not the radio system's numbers.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Might be funny now but not then, when S hits the fan so many times you had to run back to the car to radio for help.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Now that he's been crucified..... I believe he's talking about the officer's ID letters/numbers, not the radio system's numbers.
Nope, he meant the radio's ID. Read all of his posts, he even doubled down on the claim and did not refute anyone's interpretation of what he said.

W0JJK

Some departments also issue ear pieces for the officers portables. This help with the echo when they use the mobile radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.